This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

JohnG:

I took a run to Auto Zone this morning.

The 58-60 352 and 430 use the same filters in all brands. What you said about filtration makes sense.

I change my oil every 3 months (never reaches 3K miles). I've been using MotorCraft ($3.99), but just bought the Mobil 1 ($9.99) because it will filter better to 10-20 microns. The $5 difference once in 3 months is well worth it to me.

The small particles in the engine that aren't filtered through the MotorCraft paper filter, should now be filtered out using the Mobil 1 with a finer synthetic filter.

Based on the studies, Ford Mustang Web Site comments, and the Part numbers on the filters ----

58-60 Thunderbird Filters 352 and 430: These are readily available in at AutoZone, and other similar stores.

Recommended filters:

Mobil 1: Synthetic filter element, uses top bi-pass valve. Very high filtration capability. This filter is built like a tank -- it weighs in at 6 Ounces heavier than the MotorCraft on my scale. # M1-301 ($9.99 at AutoZone)

K&N: Synthetic filter element, uses top bi-pass valve. This filter is built very much like the Mobil 1. But, it uses a nut welded to the base instead of serated edges to tighten the filter. That could be good or bad. # HP-3001 ($11.99)

MotorCraft: Paper filter, uses top bi-pass valve. This is a good quality filter, but just doesn't have as fine a filtration capability as either the Mobil 1 or K&N. #FL-1A ($3.99)

Non-Recommended filters:

Fram: Paper element, not as much filter material, cardboard end caps on filter element that can come appart.

Penzoil: Made by Fram -- "A Fram filter with yellow paint".

Purolator Pure One: Similar to the MotorCraft, BUT uses a non-Ford approved bottom bi-pass valve.

Amsoil: Uses a non-Ford approved bottom bi-pass valve.

References:

1. Engine Oil Filters Overview
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

2. Engine Oil Filter Study
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...y.html#mc-fl1a

3. Oil and Oil Filter 101
http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart5.htm

4. Mustang Web Site (Thanks JohnG)
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_664012/tm.htm
Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Is that the latest & greatest info on the Ford/Motorcraft filter? I thought they were rated up there with Delco having the best rating. I might switch to that Mobil-1 filter (at least in the V10)

More homework
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

hi Bart

A big Thank You!! you have done valuable work here!

Now I know exactly what filter to get in Autozone which makes the job a piece of cake. (M1-301 ). There are several around here. I change the oil about once a year as I only put 3K miles on it per year and have no reluctance at all to spend the difference.

Now, some questions for a couple of you. My motor has 3200 total miles on it since a complete rebuild. It has had 2 oil changes (300 miles, 2800 miles) and I have been using conventional 10W-30 oil. On the next oil change, should

a) go to synthetic

b) if Yes, which synthetic and what weight ??

thanks again
John
Old 08-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Super-Experienced

John Byers:

The Delco "UltraGuard" (NOT DuraGuard) was actually rated somewhat better than the Mobil 1 on filtration. Problem is -- the Ultraguard had reports of leaking problems at the top seam, and you can't find them (so they say). The Duraguard wasn't a player in better filtration.

So, the Mobil 1 wins by default.

JohnG:

Pandora's box is about to be open on the oil thing?

When you rebuilt your engine, are your valves stock, or hardened -- whatever?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
John

Valves? I used stainless valves and had hardened valve seats inserted. (have an extra set of seats if anyone needs them...). I know there has been considerable debate on the unleaded gas/valves/seats topic ; I took the most conservative route.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Super-Experienced

That's good. Just asking.

I know that my engine was rebuilt, but since the owner was deceased, I don't know when, or if hardened seats were installed.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Found this very nice 60 on E-Bay. One photo caught my eye.

Do you see what I see? --

Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Talking

LOL!! I see ORANGE!!! =oP
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM
John

Wink

not only is it a lousy oil filter, but the color clashes.........
Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Super-Experienced

I thought that I should share this.

I bought my 60 HT 430 about 2 years ago. From the very beginning, it had one "ticking" lifter on #2 cylinder. Drove me crazy to hear that ONE lifter.

I tried changing the oil weight from 10W40 to 20W 50, and still the same. I also tried an oil additive, and changed the oil again after a few days -- still the same. Each time that I changed the oil, I put in a new MotorCraft FL1-A filter.

Two weeks ago, I decided to change oil and use a Mobil 1 filter. After 2 days, the ticking on #2 cylinder stopped. It hasn't ticked again since then.

Was this a just a coincidence; or the result of cleaner oil because of better filtration? -- I don't know.

All lifters are happy.