This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Oil Filter Study

I ran across this interesting Oil Filter Study on 20 filters.

Many of the filters are made by the same company.

Ford only approves filters with a by-pass valve at the TOP of the filter, NOT at the bottom. By-pass valve at the bottom allows dirt at the bottom of the filter to go into the engine.

FRAM filter, or other name brands made by FRAM are the worst filters to use. (i.e. Penzoil filters are made by Fram)

Got your attention???? Here are the URLs, for your own interpretation --

1. Engine Oil Filters Overview
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

2. Engine Oil Filter Study
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...y.html#mc-fl1a

Last edited by bcomo : 08-05-2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Wrong 2nd URL - corrected
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Super-Experienced

TChicken is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bart for info.I try to always buy Motorcraft,now I will look to see who the manf.is.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Super-Experienced

I use Motorcraft FL-1A. That filter has the by-pass valve at the top "Ford approved".

Here's what he said:
"This is an interesting filter. Basically, it appeared to be a Purolator Pure One filter cartridge in a Purolator Premium Plus case"
Old 08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

you got my attention... what are Ford approved filters for the 352 series? I am not assuming that the filter is the same as for the 430s you guys own (although certainly possible).

Thanks!

john

1958 Hardtop
Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Super-Experienced

John:

The 20 filters that he bought, cut appart, unraveled, and tested were all for a 5.0 Liter Ford. That way he could compare apples to apples.

The study is comparing "brands". So, you really only have to be concerned with what brand appears best -- to you. Notice that he says at the beginning that this study will not tell you which is "best" or "worst". He just compares them for you to make the judgement.

If you read carefully, you'll see that he got a letter from a lawyer representing one of the manufactures -- telling him to remove his web site. Isn't that a kick?

As far as Ford approved filters -- If a filter is clogged, the filter bi-pass valve allows unfiltered oil to go to the engine, rather than starve your engine of oil.

In all filters, some unfiltered "junk" is at the bottom of the filter. Ford approved only those filters that allowed unfiltered oil to be "bi-passed" through the top of the filter where there is no junk build up. Makes sense.

Here's my true life experience --

I had the oil changed in my Jeep Liberty last week. They used a Penzoil filter. I figured, hey that's good. After reading this study, here's what I find out -- Quote "
Penzoil

This filter is a Fram! It is the exact same design as the Fram Extra Guard filter and it is junk. On the up side, it costs $1 less than the Fram version."

Wish that I would have read this last week.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:20 PM
John

Thumbs up

hi Bart

I have to confess to thinking that "a filter was a filter". I get a "brand X" at the local Federated parts store. No idea who really makes it. Duh... (later...reading the box reveals it to be made by Hastings)

As I put about $1200 and countless hours into rebuilding my motor a year ago, a good filter is therefore an obvious requirement.

Aside from making a choice, I will take one of the Federated ones and cut it up to see what's inside. I have a spare that I accidently dented and did not want to use.

After I change I can see if the oil pressure varies at all.

I have to tell you I am more concerned for my poor old Subaru (178K miles) which has had a number of Fram filters on it...

Thank you for the information... I will visit some local shops and see what they have for choices.

Reading over the study, filters seem to have three main attributes:
* physical construction (will it fall apart and how?)
* by-pass capability
* filtering capability.

To achieve better filtering, the author gives the impression that paper is second rate to synthetic material as synthetic will filter smaller particles. This narrows the choices down quickly, pretty much to Pure One PL30001. Any thoughts on this??

John

PS some of the Mustang guys had an oil filter discussion of sorts at

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_664012/tm.htm

with similar comments from the first writer about Fram being low quality

Last edited by JohnG : 08-06-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Super-Experienced

John:

Mathematically, the filter that removes the smallest particles, sounds best. BUT--- regarding the Pure One, he says: "It seems to have so many pleats that it is almost a solid chunk of filter element. It seems like it would end up restricting the flow, more than anything."

Also, the Pure One and Amsoil filters have the bottom Bi-Pass valve. Ford No-No.

Here is another oil study that used the same brands. It does give their top choices, and a great table for comparison at the VERY bottom.

Their choices are: (All are top bi-pass valve filters)

Mobil 1 - synthetic element
K&N - synthetic element
Castrol MaxPro Plus - synthetic element
MotorCraft - Paper element

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart5.htm
Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 AM
John

the comments about the filter being almost solid don't bother me. While it will be harder for oil to pass through a material with smaller orificies, they have compensated for it by having more sheer area for oil to go through (about 25% more area from his tables - about 400 sq in vs 316 if my memory of his table is correct).

As I have an oil pressure gauge, my first goal would be to see how pressure compares with that from my current filter, all other things being equal.

Essentially the size of the objects filtered vs allowed to pass should correspond to the various bearing clearances in your motor. For example, main bearing clearances should be in the ballpark of .001". So a dirt particle of, say, .0005" size can remain suspended in oil and pass through the bearing/journal, while something .001" or bigger would pose a problem and ought to be captured by the filter.

Now a more practical problem for me is actually getting my paws on a more highly rated filter. Let's say I shoot for buying a Mobil 1 filter (the synthetic part being desireable). What do I use for a starting point for a filter #?? If I walk in and ask for a filter for a 1958 Ford 352 motor, they will probably die laughing. In other words, we need a conversion table that gets us from 352's and 430's into modern filter reference #s. Then I can simply walk in and say "Gimme a Mobil One oil filter, part ABC 281, please" and avoid the old car issue entirely.

Such a table would have 3 columns: manufacturer, 352 filter #, 430 filter #. Maybe additional columns showing paper vs synthetic, by-pass location, and anything else of note. Maybe cost but a minor matter and variable by retailer.

Last edited by JohnG : 08-06-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

That filter for the 352 is the first spin-on filter. Ford invented it. It is the most widely used filter ever. It was even used on many foreign makes. I think it was used on cars from 1958 to the early 1990's. You should have no problem finding it.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

What the experts REALLY say;

Being in the parts business we get asked all the time . . . Which filter . . . which oil.
What has come down the pipe from GM engineering is not what kind but how often!!
Sure, new oil filters work good. Synth oil is great too.

Change it regularly !! I run dino oil in the TBird right now. I wanted to get 1500 or 2000 miles on the new motor (ring break in) before changing to synth. I change it every 6 months if I've gone 5 miles or 3000 miles (3000 not likely in TB) You don't want regular oil in the motor for more than 6 months. Synth you can go a year (or 7500 miles) I'll still stay with 5000 miles w/ the other cars. I run Mobile 1 in everything . I run Motorcraft oil filters in the TB and our V10 motorhome and Delco in our GM cars (Always run the factory parts!!!!)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner