This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

I measured the space inside from the hole to where the bumper will hit. With a 430 sitting on the tires, the distance is 2 3/4".

Can you tell me, what is the total height of the bumper including the stud that you have?

Is is possible to trim some rubber off of the bumper with a dremel just to make the turn in? Better than no bumper at all.

By the way, there's enough room to get my arm and hand up there with the tires on the ground -- not jacked.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

It's about 2 3/4" long overall, the stud being about 7/8" of that. So it ought to go in and sit about 7/8" above the frame at rest. i bet it was designed to be assembled that way.

I took some more pics, hopefully I'll post them before the night is through. I do have a yellow stripe on my spring, it's quite evident, I'm not sure how I missed it. It's mostly gone where the spring was exposed, but very clear where the spring was up in the frame pocket.

I also checked the service manual and page 8-16 showing the specs for the suspension does list two springs. The yellow marking like mine and Alexander's should be 15 3/4" tall, the purple marking should be 15 1/2" tall. I wonder why there were two different ones. I'd like to have a set of the purple ones and lower the front of my car 1/4".

Lastly, I ended up not using the ball stud sleeve from Mac's. It was not the right part. The picture on their web site was obviously different than mine, but I had hoped it was either the wrong picture or that it was different but still would work. It slid into the control valve sleeve just fine, but the opening wasn't large enough to allow the ball stud to pivot up out of the sleeve (see the shop manual, page 9-16, figure 13), so there was no way to assemble it. I have a picture of the two side by side and they clearly aren't the same.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

I just thought of something. If you jack the car up on the front driver side only you can get more weight on the passerger side tire; which should raise the upper control arm. Then, you might have enough room to turn the bumper. Let me know if you try that.

If that doesn't work, I personally would cut the rubber tip until it fit. I wouldn't want to take it apart to get it in there -- I don't think.

According to the Factory Specs book -- the Yellow spring was the original for the 352. If the springs needed to be replaced, for some reason, they show the replacement spring as the Purple spring, which is the spring for the 430.

The purple spring is shorter BUT thicker metal (.710), so that spring wouldn't go down as much as the yellow spring. In effect, the car might not sit any lower with purple springs than with yellow springs.

Sorry about the ball stud sleeve. I see what you mean from the manual. I've never had one on my hand, so I wouldn't have caught that.

Last edited by bcomo : 10-28-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Based on your measurements, I should be able to install it without doing that. That's not a bad idea, though, if needed.

I bet that replacement spec is so that they didn't have to make and stock two sets of springs for replacements.

There was no way I could have known that ball stud sleeve wouldn't work until I actually tried it myself. Vendors list 2 different control valves for the 58-59 and the 60, maybe the 58-59 uses that ball stud sleeve.