This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

That looks neat
Old 07-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road

Bart that not only looks neat but brings out the black. I have the Winterset White with old insulation. ??????????

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 07-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Super-Experienced

I bought my kit from Concours Parts it came with a complete rubber seal kit for the car part # on the package is 16738-A it is 7/8" thick it looks like what I took out when I stripped all the paint of I have not put the new back yet as the car has not been painted yet
Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Super-Experienced

Red face Insullation pictures

I should have posted these pictures with my last post I forget to so here they are Bob M

Last edited by Bob M : 12-01-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

I've seen the "Fiberglass" type insulation for sale, but read that T-Bird owners were not happy with it because the water under the hood scoop would disintegrate the fiberglass, and it would come apart all over the engine.

My trunk had the original insulation, and it looked like thick tar paper, but I still wasn't sure until I read this from the "Vintage Thunderbird Club" 58-60 Concourse Rules Book:

Page 7.3.13 Hood Lining 1958-1960: "The 58-60 Thunderbird used a heavy, brownish asphalt-impregnated felt (similar to tar paper) liner for a sound deadener. The liner was sandwiched between the outer skin and inner structure of the hood and the trunk. This material was installed after the decklid and hood were painted. Many restorations have painted over the original material, resulting in confusion as to whether or not the felt was painted from the factory. Reproductions are non-existant, so salvaging of original linings becomes important for an authentic restoration"

So, it would seem that the best reproduction of the original would be made of a "Felt Tar Paper" material, not a fiberglass material like the ones being sold. I don't know why the repro companies don't do this? It seems easier than making it from the fiberglass material that comes apart.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomo View Post
Here's a photo of what it looks like using roofing felt (aka Tar paper, roofing paper).

This is 3 sheets laminated with weatherstrip adhesive, cut 1/2" oversize to a paper pattern, then slipped in between the two hood panels -- held in place with quarter size dabs of silicon sealer under the tar paper. Cost about $30 total.

The color is off in the photo -- it's really not that light.

That looks much better than what I have. In fact, it looks very neat. What brand and type of tar paper is that - 15lb or 30lb? Will the tar paper withstand the engine heat, or will it ooze out tar?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Super-Experienced

I bought the roofing paper at Home Depot -- no special brand, probably 15 lb. IMO It's better to laminate several thinner pieces than it is to use one thick piece. The same reason that plywood is made with laminated sections. Laminated material resists sagging. I've had this on for 1 year and no sags or droops. Also very water-proof (40 days of rain in Texas so far). Tar does not ooze out, BUT it will smell like tar paper for about a week -- then nothing.

It is not affected by engine heat plus ambient temperature in Texas of 95 degrees. Actually, the engine heat initially helps the tar paper take a "set" to the contour of the hood.

I'll take a close-up of one of the sections, so you can see more detail, and post it on Thursday -- IF it doesn't rain again.

TIP: Cut three small squares and test fit the thickness between the hood pieces. The max thickness that you can use is governed by the smallest space between the hood pieces. In my case three pieces filled the area between the hood outside and inner structure in all places.

Painting: I didn't spray paint the tar paper. The inside of my factory trunk insulation is painted. I don't know if you can get an even spray on tar paper using spray paint-- maybe someone can try a one ft square test piece and let me know if they do this.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Super-Experienced

Here is a close-up of one section.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Cool

I'm the 2nd owner of my 1960 TBird and it has never been wrecked. It still has the black UNPAINTED tar paper type material under the hood, 1 of the side peices had sagged down and was eatten by rats so I pulled it out a long time ago. Heck, I wish I had saved it now, I could had mailed it out to VTCI or someone....
Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Super-Experienced

Does mine look close to what your original looks like?

If you could take a photo it would be great to compare. I think that your original insulation would be darker than what I did -- is that right?

Darned rats ---