This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road
Default Hood insulation

EBay item # 190132870104
We have all seen the insulation offered on EBay and elsewhere and they are all thick insulation. nothing like the original. this is the first time I've seen a Ford part number B8S-16738-A called out... does anyone know if this might be the "correct" insulation?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road
Default Hood Insulation

I saw the add but discounted the add as bogus. I just looked thru my up to 58 parts book and the number does not exist.

closest is B5A-16738-A or -C Listed as for 52 to 56 Fords. No birds.

Draw your own conclusions.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 07-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I am on my second set of thick insulation. It falls apart easily, even after a few months. Ask the seller how thick it is. I would buy it if it is anything near the original.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

I asked the seller about the insulation... his reply was.......
"It is a thick insulation material with a board type backing. Just like the original type insulation on the car."
Hmmm, back to the drawing board I guess. But I still wonder where he got that "Ford part number".
Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Experienced

FeFranco

It is unfortunate that they couldn't take a closer picture of the tag in the plastic. I buy most of my TBird parts from Thunderbird Headquarters. They are close by which gives me a chance to look before I buy. I don't know about the quality of their hood insulation, but I do know the stuff I get is competitively priced and good quality. You may want to give them a call; 800 227-2174
Old 07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Super-Experienced

TChicken is on a distinguished road

I to bought the thick stuff,but what I am thinking of doing is tracing the pattern onto some good quality heavy gauge roof felt paper.Any thougts appreciated.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Super-Experienced

TChicken is on a distinguished road

I wonder if I could glue the insulation part to the new felt paper.Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Tell us how it works out. You might have some customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChicken View Post
I to bought the thick stuff,but what I am thinking of doing is tracing the pattern onto some good quality heavy gauge roof felt paper.Any thougts appreciated.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I am 90% sure my insulation is from the factory. They put that in before the hood went together. It looks like 30lb. felt. I keep putting strips of sheet metal across the holes as it droops. Gravity is taking over. But i will keep this car the way i found it from the first owner.????? (and it do fly)
Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Here's a photo of what it looks like using roofing felt (aka Tar paper, roofing paper).

This is 3 sheets laminated with weatherstrip adhesive, cut 1/2" oversize to a paper pattern, then slipped in between the two hood panels -- held in place with quarter size dabs of silicon sealer under the tar paper. Cost about $30 total.

The color is off in the photo -- it's really not that light.