This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

JohnG:

The Armarture (ARM) terminal would be the bottom terminal on the regulator.

The top terminal is the Battery (BATT). The BATT terminal votage will always be the battery voltage

Did you take the reading from the bottom terminal?

Wildcat15:

Depending on what what JohnG says -- I think that you're right about the field coil open/short. I wonder if the brush springs could be hung, but make still appear to look like the brushes are seated.

Can I remove the end bell on the generator while it's on the car, pull out the long screws, and check the spring tension?

I'm getting a small Snap-On inductive Ammeter, but won't be here for about a week.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 09:38 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Yes, I took the readings from the bottom post.

My regulator is mounted on the drivers side with all posts toward the front of the car (so on my left as I lean into the engine compartment from the driver's side) and the ARM one that I took readings from is the bottom one.

The brushes need to be free to move and hence exert a certain amount of pressure against the armature as it rotates. Merely touching it is not sufficient. It is possible that crap is in their holders keeping them from doing this. Can't hurt to try. I think you can do this with it in the car but won't guarantee it.

Last edited by JohnG : 07-15-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Super-Experienced

JohnG -- Sorry, I see now that you said that the two outer terminals, top and bottom were the same reading.

A rebuilt generator from Concourse is $130 + $50 core + $25 shipping. I wonder if I should buy a rebuilt, or have mine rebuilt? There's supposed to be a good Generator shop about 30 miles from me. I don't know what they would charge if they have to replace the field coils along with the usual stuff to rebuild one.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 PM
John

hi Bart
If it turns out the generator is faulty, I would urge you to get yours repaired vs a rebuilt. My reasons are: a) you take the regulator and the generator in and they do what is needed to produce a functioning unit (pair) b) they are there if you have problems down the road c) they will warranty their work. Usually these are old-school people who know their work well and take pride in it. I would doubt you would save any money this way, however.

In thinking about it, there are bearings in it that it can't hurt to have examined, the commutator surface and so on.

John
Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Super-Experienced

That's good advice -- especially about the warranty, and being in town if I have a problem. That Generator is pretty heavy to mail back and forth if it has a problem after I get it re-installed.

I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.

Meanwhile, I'll take a voltage reading at the Arm terminal at the generator itself, and look at the end bell assembly.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 PM
John

If you do decide to buy one, try walking into an auto parts store such as a Federated one - Gonzalez is a chain in San Antonio. I have gotten a ton of engine parts over the counter with a 24 hr or less wait. Let's see: starter, water pump, distributor, valves, pistons, cam, tune up components. While the Squarebird is a short lived car, the motors are most common. As you mention, the shipping costs add up. But I hope you find a good electric shop as a first option.

John

Last edited by JohnG : 07-16-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Super-Experienced

My generator has a double belt pulley, I think because of the Power Steering and A/C. I believe that this makes the shaft longer than a generator with a single belt pulley. I don't know whether you can use the same generator, and just swap the pulleys. Anyone have a handle on that one?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 AM
John

My 58 (which is a 352) has Power Steering but no AC. The generator is a single pulley while there is an extra pulley on the end of the crank shaft for the power steering. My belt goes around the water pump, crank and generator. If I had the PS hooked up (I don't...) it would go around the add-on pulley on the crank and the PS pulley.

You have a 430??? We might put a post on the MEL area and see what differences there are between the 430 setup and the 352. What is currently hooked around your generator for belts???

Last edited by JohnG : 07-16-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Super-Experienced

John:

Generator has a 2 slot pulley with 2 belts going around the Harmonic Balancer (with 3 slot pulley) and then around the Fan/WaterPump (with 3 slot pulley).

A/C has 1 belt going around the Fan/water Pump pulley.
P/S has 1 belt going around the Harmonic Balancer pulley.

I called the T-Bird Club Pres. in town, and he highly recommended a shop that has done generator rebuilds for the club. I called them this AM and they gave me a quote of between $60 to $100 to rebuild mine -- AND they said -- "Bring your regulator so that we can tune it to your generator after we rebuild it". Very good news!!!

I did the final voltage reading directly from the ARM stud on the generator to ground -- I got 2.5 volts -- so it's time to drop the generator. I soaked all of the bolts with PB Blaster and have them loosened. The temperature in Texas is 95 degrees, which means working in the early AM only.

I'm thinking that Ford should have made the driver seat "fully reclining", because I've spent more time laying down under the car than in the sitting position.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:19 PM
John

good work! That shop sounds like a winner!!!

Now for the really good news: when you get the generator back and want to re-install it, it is really, really annoying!! Or you grow a third hand between now and then...