This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Experienced

58tdactyl
Default RE: Roof troubles

Travlin............I saw your post on Autobody.............hopefully when "antique" returns he can help. Im posting on there as ancientbird58.........and going to use that Metal 2 Metal to fix a small hole in my door..........as well as my fender........after that it gets primed,sanded, blocked and painted...yee haw !!!! My 3 year ordeal is coming to a climax !!!..........and when I think I almost dowsed it with gasoline and set it ablaze........hahahahahaha !!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Apprentice

63tbirdrick is on a distinguished road

I had to replace the passenger side fender on my 60. Very time consuming because these fenders are welded on. A little advice that you may already know. Drill out all the spot welds or grind them off. Don't be in a hurry and just start ripping the fender off because you want to keep everything straight and be careful not to bend any of the flange areas. Take a few measurements before you start removing the fender like the distance between the fenders in the front and rear, the distance from the wheel well to the ground with the car on stands, etc,etc and when you start tacking the new fender on, line up everything exactly according to your measurements,tack a few places and measure again to make sure nothing shifted, then tack some more then maybe put your hood back on to see if it lines up right. Do the same thing with your rockers and quarters because you don't want to weld everything up and stand back and say hey, this don't look bad! and then go to put your doors back on and have uneven gaps. On those replacement panels, I don't believe they are factory stamped so you have to work with them to get them to fit good. A lot of trimming and fitting. Use only what you need and try to keep as much of the original metal as you can intact. Don't try to cut out the whole replacement panel section because The quality isn't really that great compared to replacement panels for the more popular cars such as the camaro or mustang, they are wavy and have some small ripples in them and they are bound to come with bent corners from shipping. It can be done by an inexperienced person and it is not that difficult if you do your home work and take your time.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road

[font color="blue"]63tbirdrick said:
It can be done by an inexperienced person and it is not that difficult if you do your home work and take your time.
[/font]

Thanks for the advice! http://www.nfl-world.com/forums/imag...k_Emoticon.gif I need all the help I can get!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

With the continued saga of this 58 and your desire to actually bring it back from the depths of rust.

Your biggest enemy in proceeding with the redo is still finding where all the rust is located and that still requires removing every nut,bolt,ect from the car so you have a shell on 4 wheels.

Deal with the top first. You live in Florida and should be ablle to find a roof from a donor parts car. It is unusual for these to rust so bad and it is very common to loose the rest of the car and still have a good roof. Should be a relatively easy swap. It doesn't matter which year 58,59,or 60. roofs are all the same. The sail panel will have different holes but the basic roof are identical.

But before tackling the roof find out about the rest of the shell.

My grams 58 was recently completed and was full of rust. Unfortunately I would have parted the car out if it hadn't been mt grams car. Snow belt car and lots of rust in the lower extremeties. Replaced both complete rear quarters. with ones off 60 birds. Took me forever to find a pair. The had to replace the rockers, and some pieces from the front fenders. Fortunately the floor pans and the rest of the sub frame metal was untouched. I don't know why but got extremely lucky.

I will be more than happy to help but I personally did not do the resto. I was the parts man and even that was no small undertaking.

Good Luck
Fuz

Old 07-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

HEY !! TRAVLIN !!!

Theres a nice looking -non running 59 on ebay. The body looks good from the picture. You might want to check it out. Take 2 and make one nice one ????? I checked the interior picture and its got AC and power windows. So far the bid is 1500.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Experienced

[font color="blue"]58tdactyl said:

HEY !! TRAVLIN !!!

Theres a nice looking -non running 59 on ebay. The body
looks good from the picture. You might want to check it out.
Take 2 and make one nice one ????? I checked the interior
picture and its got AC and power windows. So far the bid is
[/font]

Unfortunetly, the wife won't let me try to buy it. Which really makes no sense to me since I'll prolly spend a lot more on the '58 as it currently is. http://www.nfl-world.com/forums/images/smilies/rant.gif
Old 07-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

Travlin................I just went to your site to see the progress. Believe me when I tell you it brings back memories. Im currently getting ready to paint mine. Its stripped of its " Tupperware Turquoise" and Im tweaking some body work to begin sanding. I noticed your interior pictures and was struck by the fact that your seats have no "bolster" to them ..............dont be surprised if you have repo covers pulled over the originals...............been there done that too. Post pictures of your fender repair if you can. One day Im gonna figure out how to post pictures............in the meantime.............keep up the good work!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Experienced

[font color="blue"]58tdactyl said:

I just went to your site to see the progress. Believe me when I tell you it brings back memories. Im currently getting ready to paint mine. Its stripped of its " Tupperware Turquoise" and Im tweaking some body work to begin sanding.
[/font]

I have to admit that I really haven't done much to her lately. It's been extremely hot (mid-90s) and it's been raining every day the past few weeks. Of course, it's that time of year here in Central Florida, so ... It's kinda to be expected.

By the way ... Did you get that crease fixed?

I'm definitely getting some of that rust treatment stuff, and M2M. Also going to experiment with using M2M mixed with fiberglass.

[font color="blue"]I noticed your interior pictures and was struck by the fact that your seats have no "bolster" to them ... dont be surprised if you have repo covers pulled over the originals ... been there done that too.[/font]

Oh they ARE repros; I already knew that. But from what I've seen picture-wise of originals, they're right on track. Right down to the silver trim piping on them. They were put on properly though ... There isn't another seat cover underneath any of them.

[font color="blue"]Post pictures of your fender repair if you can. One day Im gonna figure out how to post pictures ... in the meantime ... keep up the good work!!! [/font]

Thanks Mon! As I mentioned on the website, I got the fender this past weekend. It's not bad, but will need a tad bit of work.

I do plan on documenting everything, in word and picture. Just so that I can remember everything ... Every random thought I have about it (when I remember to write them), all the ranting I might decide to do, and every screw up.

So I started writing a journal about the whole thing. Tried to go back over the past couple of months but didn't cover much so far. If you're interested: http://journals.aol.com/squarebird/Squarebird/ Some of it's actually funny (according to the wife).

Also, if you want to post pics it's really easy, but you have to have them online somewhere first. I have a lot of web storage space so, if you need some ... Just ask!

For example, if I wanted to post a pic of say ... that TBird cigarette holder/lighter I recently got, I'd simply type the following:

htttp://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/d5/29/69_1.JPG

However, it would be http://.... I added an additional t so that you could see exactly what I did, and so the pic wouldn't show up instead.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Experienced

[font color="blue"]khanson said:

Man, what a bummer.

Have you looked through the whole car yet so you know "everything"?

Sometimes it's good to know if you are at the end of the sruprises or there are other possible surprises still out there. Don't let the last one get you to throw in the towel.
[/font]

The only places I haven't looked into yet are inside the rocker panels -- And I have new sheet metal for the rockers. I've pretty much seen everything else on the car.

I kinda feel like you do in wanting to keep the car as close to original as possible ... But lately I've been thinking "so what?" It's my car, I should just do what I want to it. If I want disk brakes, I should go ahead and put them on.

Maybe it's just a phase.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

My crease???? After digging out A 1/2 inch of bondo..........there it was. It looks like the classic "I backed into your car by accident" kinda thing. My dad who was a pipe-fitter....told me how to basicly "beat it out"........and I did :) :) :) Now all I have to do is smear just the smallest bit of M2M to hide it forever !!! SAY NO TO BONDO !!! }> Im so close to priming and painting I cant stand it.