This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Roof troubles

>Now I know where the scammer got all the pics.
>
>The scammer used my exact pictures? If he showed the engine
>compartment, it is of the engine compartment of a 1958
>Hartop on this site.
>
They used the pictures from the Classic Car Trader advert, which by the way is showing the car being sold for 35K+ and being in St Louis (if I recall correctly).
Old 06-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

Travlin...............go to AutoBody101.com

Register and post your website link and ask some of the guys who have been doing this type of work for a living. When they see your pictures they can tell you for sure if you can save the top.........Post it in the painting section and ask how they would handle it. Personally I saw the pictures and it still looks salvageable to me. Some of these guys love a challenge and many restore old cars. You will learn tons !!!

Old 06-28-2004, 04:16 AM
Apprentice

coastie124

"Go to main site and somewhere there is a convertible hardtop 58 thats silver and gorgeous. If you are willing to cut the top off........you could easily find one from a doner 59 or 60. Ive seen pictures on the internet of another 60 that has the treatment.......the roof is held into place with special clamps and it looks like a stock hardtop. Then they lift the roof off.......set it aside.........and it looks like a stock convertible."

I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you have a metal shop at your disposal and where experienced in this work. This could cause you to waste alot of time to have a piece of junk in the end. Even though you are just making the top removable there would still be alot of fabrication involved. I would say that it would take less time to fix the roof you have. I am in the same situation and I am going to try to fix it with metal first and if I can't get it I might be looking at paying someone to do it.(if they'll take the job) As for the rest of the car just know that these cars didn't last nor were they made to last. The roof is a prime example of this.

By the way there is a sit that might be of some help for you. It is www.ycitythunderbirds.com. They have alot of old squarebirds that they are parting out. If I had more money I would actually try and get something from them first. By the way I am not affiliated with this company at all. I think they're located in Ohio. They do ship and seem very resonable.

To the issue of parting out your old bird, don't. I am a firm believer of "if it can be done do it." Don't ruin one of the few left out there. But if you do deside to, then give me a shout.:7 Really everyone who sees my car just kinda laughs at me, but someday I'll have a classic that I built myself. Just so you know my car is sitting on stilts right now with nothing but the dash left in it. Every thing that could come off did. no bolt left intact. You should see the mess. I haven't been able to do alot to it yet due to the fact that I just moved here and haven't stocked my shop yet. But, soon I plan on starting on the body work. Begining with a good alkaline dipping.

Remember this is supposed to be fun.

Brian Costello
Old 06-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Experienced

>Travlin...............go to AutoBody101.com
>
> Register and post your website link and ask some of the
>guys who have been doing this type of work for a living.
>When they see your pictures they can tell you for sure if
>you can save the top.........Post it in the painting section
>and ask how they would handle it. Personally I saw the
>pictures and it still looks salvageable to me. Some of these
>guys love a challenge and many restore old cars. You will
>learn tons !!!
>
Thanks for the tip!

I reg'd this a.m. I plan to post and ask exactly as you've suggested. Have already picked up some good info in the welding dept.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Experienced

>I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you have a metal shop
>at your disposal and where experienced in this work.
>

I hadn't planned on going that far, much as I'd love to have a car like that. I was refering to making it a "permenant convertable."

>By the way there is a sit that might be of some help for
>you. It is www.ycitythunderbirds.com.
>

I'll check them out. In the meantime, I've talked to the guy in TX I bought my front fender from (today). He said the fender donor has a good roof -- And wants a pic with what I need highlighted. He's been really reasonable pricewise so far ($280 total for fender, splash shield AND shipping). He knows there are a few more body parts I'd be willing to buy IF the price is right. So we'll see.

>To the issue of parting out your old bird, don't. I am a
>firm believer of "if it can be done do it." Don't ruin one
>of the few left out there.
>

I'm kinda with you on that one. I really don't wanna part her out. That's more of a last resort kinda thing. Someone else said that I shouldn't let the "last suprise" make me throw in the towel on her. Problem is that I just "know" there are more suprises. :(

>Remember this is supposed to be fun.
>

Oh yeah.

I seem to have forgotten that part. Perhaps I'll make it my mantra. "This is supposed to be fun ... This is supposed to be fun ..." Heh.

Thanks Brian, I needed that. :)
Old 06-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

Travlin

I spent a few minutes reviewing your web site and all the pics you supplied. Not sure what you actually wan to do at this point but my initial suggestion is to completely strip the car of everything. I mean every nut and bolt and piece of interior All you have left is a shell on wheels.

Need to do this to see some of the inner areas where rust is probably hiding. Unfortunately from what I have seen there is probably rust in areas you can't even see.

As for rebuilding this old girl, I personally would part it out and use it as a parts car for another 58. Sorry about that, but stip first to finish your evaluation.

Good Luck Fuz
Old 06-29-2004, 04:25 AM
Apprentice

coastie124

"I'm kinda with you on that one. I really don't wanna part her out. That's more of a last resort kinda thing. Someone else said that I shouldn't let the "last suprise" make me throw in the towel on her. Problem is that I just "know" there are more suprises."

Well if you want I could send you a pic of my bird and this thing is just one big suprise. I have come to that conclusion after many a evenings like you said thinking about parting it out. I bought mine, a complete car, for $500 and I could bring in more than that for it.
I just try and imaging the way it will look after I finish it. I have found everything wrong with mine that anyone in here has posted. It is kinda everyones troubles wraped up in a messy little package.

By the way if you don't want anymore suprises and you got a place near by that can do it I would strongly recommend getting it dipped in an alkaline vat. It will get rid of anything that isn't steel and let you know exactly what you have. Just be ready for anything. Also it will make the car last alot longer. I plan on doing it soon. I'm getting a trailer this weekend and then I'll start the pricing.

The biggest thing that keeps me going is those people who tell me I shouldn't or that I can't.(Mainly my father) I wanna get my car done before him. He's building a 69 Roadrunner that I got him when I was in school several years ago.(Yes I am very young.)

Good luck in your project and ignore those who tell you to part it. Its the devil talking to ya.}>

Brian Costello

Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Apprentice

1rancher is on a distinguished road

HI
LOOK, THIS IS THE DEAL, install a BIG Motor, a 4 spd and drive. If a wheel or anything else falls off/breaks, stop the car, get the pcs. and put them in the backseat, fix it when you get home. these cars are too much fun to part out, rusted or not they have such cool lines that the paint really does'nt matter. i know back when i had 1 in the army that i cut the top off of and put conv top on, i also put a 4spd and 428 in and what a sleeper it was with the rust, bad paint, butt more than that it was always a blast to drive, even when it quits running, oh yea make sure you have brakes for that big motor it needs.
good luck
mark

http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_FojEK...6s5rZsDWU2xL6x
Old 06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Apprentice

63tbirdrick is on a distinguished road

I know that by reading your posts that you would prefer to stay as original as possible. Myself, I like a mild custom, trim removed, shaved door handles, lowered, disc brakes, 59 cadillac bullet tail lights, the good stuff. An original car is not necessarily worth more than a custom in reality, only to a collector of original classics, It all depends on who wants to buy it if you sell it. What I would do for the roof rails (and I thought about doing this to my 60 even though mine are perfectly good) is just cut them off and weld the seam back together. This would make for a nice smooth look to your roof. I know I'll probably get some flack from the original fans but what the heck. A lot less work than making a convertable. I looked at your site and you do have your work cut out for you. Just keep in mind when replacing your quarters and any sheet metal for that matter, go slow and only make quarter to half inch welds and alternate until you have one long seam. Also let the weld cool before you make another one. What I did when I replaced my quarters is I had a wet towel and when I made a weld I cooled it off right away so as not to let the heat spread and warp the panel. It took me a whole day to do one side but it did not warp and was nice and straight.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Experienced

>I know that by reading your posts that you would prefer to
>stay as original as possible. An original car
>is not necessarily worth more than a custom in reality, only
>to a collector of original classics, It all depends on who
>wants to buy it if you sell it.[/i][/font]

[font color="black"]Absolutely agree! I would prefer to stay as close to original as possible, but at this point, a mild custom isn't out of the question either. I just wanna get her out and http://www.nfl-world.com/forums/imag...lies/drive.gif

And you are exactly right about a car's worth ... It all depends on the buyer.[/font] http://www.nfl-world.com/forums/images/smilies/deal.gif

Of course, I don't plan on selling her once she's finished either. http://www.nfl-world.com/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif

[font color="blue"]>What I would do for the roof
>rails is just cut them off and weld the
>seam back together. This would make for a nice smooth look
>to your roof.
[/font]

[font color="black"]If you mean the rain gutters, that's a thought. The rails I'm refering to however are the roof supports above the door glass. Unfortunetly, I cannot cut those off.

I've been thinking ... I should be able to repair the parts over the door glass with flatstock. Above the windshield ... Now that's another matter.[/font] http://www.nfl-world.com/forums/imag...cratchchin.gif

[font color="blue"]>I looked at your site and you do have your
>work cut out for you. Just keep in mind when replacing your
>quarters and any sheet metal for that matter, go slow and
>only make quarter to half inch welds and alternate until you
>have one long seam. Also let the weld cool before you make
>another one. What I did when I replaced my quarters is I had
>a wet towel and when I made a weld I cooled it off right
>away so as not to let the heat spread and warp the panel. It
>took me a whole day to do one side but it did not warp and
>was nice and straight.
[/font]

[font color="black"]Thank you for the welding advice -- As a very raw newbie welder, I can use all the help I can get![/font] http://www.nfl-world.com/forums/imag...es/nervous.gif