This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road
Default Roof troubles

While working on my Bird today, I discovered the roof rails (the parts over the top of the door windows) are all rusted out. I already knew about the front corners of the roof, but this? There isn't even enough metal left to attach new mouldings if all I wanted to do was cover it up.

What can I do? Install a new roof? Make it a convertable?

Old 06-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl
Default RE: Roof troubles

The only thing I can suggest is to cut out the old and make some new. You've really had a time already I know. I just found out today while stripping the paint off off mine that it had been hit on the passenger side front. There was some "bondo" and I kept sanding to get it off.........and found a 12 inch crease about a 1/2 inch deep.

Is there enough metal left to support any kind of fix??? Por-15 makes a super hard polyester fiberglass filler that I have used on mine. You can neutralize the rust with their metal prep and paint. Then fill in the eaten out parts with the fiberglass. Its VERY strong and sands down with some elbow grease. I used it on the creases where I welded my new rocker panels and front fender sections. Its permanent and wont absorb moisture. Hang in there !!!

If you you have a big open section..........place some flat metal behind it for support.....and then spread the fiberglass over it. You have to work in small sections since it sets up pretty quick...........wish I was there to help :-) Rip the headliner out if you are going to replace it...........it will make things much easier !!!
Old 06-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

If you want to spend a little more.........there is a filler called "metal to metal" which does the same thing.......but even stronger than the fiberglass.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Experienced

>The only thing I can suggest is to cut out the old and make
>some new. You've really had a time already I know. I just
>found out today while stripping the paint off off mine that
>it had been hit on the passenger side front. There was some
>"bondo" and I kept sanding to get it off.........and found a
>12 inch crease about a 1/2 inch deep.
>
Sorry to hear about your crease. I have a couple of those in the left tailfin. ::heavy sigh::

> Is there enough metal left to support any kind of
>fix??? Por-15 makes a super hard polyester fiberglass filler
>that I have used on mine. You can neutralize the rust with
>their metal prep and paint. Then fill in the eaten out parts
>with the fiberglass. Its VERY strong and sands down with
>some elbow grease. I used it on the creases where I welded
>my new rocker panels and front fender sections. Its
>permanent and wont absorb moisture. Hang in there !!!
>
Honestly, I'm not sure there's enough left to do anything to it. I can see how it's supposed to look... I suppose I could maybe weld some flat stock to the remaining roof section, and bring that forward. But what's that gonna look like? If you check out my website, you'll see a pic of how the roof looks. And that's the problem ... The roof (at the edge) is rotted. So there isn't anything to weld to. I'll need to weld in a section for the roof just to be able to weld the flat stock to. And that's gonna look like hell ... I just know it's gonna warp.

I'm ranting ... sorry. Maybe my best bet is just to find another complete roof that isn't full of cancer and go from there.

> If you you have a big open section..........place some flat
>metal behind it for support.....and then spread the
>fiberglass over it. You have to work in small sections since
>it sets up pretty quick...........wish I was there to help
>:-) Rip the headliner out if you are going to replace
>it...........it will make things much easier !!!

Headliner is already out. The interior roof bracing is fine, but all the thinner sheet metal is rusted.

And I wish you were here to help too .. I'm pretty frustrated right now, and I'm about to say the hell with it and cut the **** roof off.

What's really ironic is that I told the wife that I wasn't gonna work on the body first .. I said that it could look cherry but if the dang thing couldn't drive ... It would all be a waste. At this point, I couldn't even make a go-cart out of it.

At this point I'm seriously considering parting the **** thing out.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Experienced

58tdactyl

If you are really up to it............Go to main site and somewhere there is a convertible hardtop 58 thats silver and gorgeous. If you are willing to cut the top off........you could easily find one from a doner 59 or 60. Ive seen pictures on the internet of another 60 that has the treatment.......the roof is held into place with special clamps and it looks like a stock hardtop. Then they lift the roof off.......set it aside.........and it looks like a stock convertible. You would definately have something different !!! Dont despair.........once I finished the mechanics on my car and redid the interior.............I decided to save up and have a pro do the body work and paint. I took my car there........agreed on a price.......... made a hefty down payment...........and sat back and waited for my dream to come home in 10 weeks all shiny black and finished. This idiot decided to buy another shop (he was working on 3 cars) and instead of doing the work on our cars...........he spent the time moving only to go belly up and lost everything. All of us have taken him to court........my hearing is in 2 weeks. BUT >>>> My car was brought back home with no work done what so ever.............the drivers side glass was cracked....the bumpers had been removed....and the mufflers were dragging the ground. SO...........I did it all myself !!! body work and all. Within the next few weeks im painting it myself.........and if Im done in time (im not rushing) My *** is driving it to the courthouse with a HUGE smile on my face.

The car Im refering to is also for sale on the site called Collector car trader............just go to the search and type in 1958 Thunderbird. There are several good pictures of it.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:03 AM
Experienced

58tdactyl

The car I mentioned is still there and has about 6 pictures............check it out before you decide.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Experienced

> The car I mentioned is still there and has about 6
>pictures............check it out before you decide.

That's the same car that was on Ebay ... For 6000.00.

Now I know where the scammer got all the pics.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Experienced

>If you want to spend a little more.........there is a filler
>called "metal to metal" which does the same thing.......but
>even stronger than the fiberglass.

Tell me about this stuff please?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:56 PM

khanson

Man, what a bummer.

Have you looked through the whole car yet so you know "everything"?

Sometimes it's good to know if you are at the end of the sruprises or there are other possible surprises still out there. Don't let the last one get you to throw in the towel.

I have not tried any of them yet, but there are quite a few places that advertise bodies to cut up for parts in Hemmings. Seems like the top would be pretty easy to get sections to weld back in. Sounds like you are considering welding anyway so maybe it would make sense to get the real thing if possible.

Just my opinion, but I kind of like them as close to original as possible. I think about disc brakes alot, but not sure when it comes the time if I'll be able to do it.

Having a '58 is pretty unique....

Old 06-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Now I know where the scammer got all the pics.

The scammer used my exact pictures? If he showed the engine compartment, it is of the engine compartment of a 1958 Hartop on this site.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top