This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Apprentice

1rancher is on a distinguished road
Default PARTS CLEANING

Hi
i was wondering if anyone has suggestions about any mechcanics in a can type of cleaning fluids. I am replacing the head gaskets, leaving the exhust manifolds attached. My concern are 3 fold, 1. do not want to damage the valve seals "rubber boots" on the heads 2. do not want to disolve the exhaust gaskets and 3. i am for the most part lazy would like to expend the least amount of energy. my current plan is to toothbrush the parts in kerosene. any ideas
thanks
mark
1960 thunderbird conv.
http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_FojEK...6s5rZsDWU2xL6x
Old 06-22-2004, 05:46 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default RE: PARTS CLEANING

kerosene is probably a good first step. I think that is
about all that "Gunk" is... However since it is oil based it
is going to leave a film you don't want.

From there I would get a can of lacquer thinner. Not the
"mineral spirits" but the other. Evaporates very fast. I use
that and a Scotch Brite pad (green, kitchen thing) to scrub
the surface up extremely clean. A putty knife is also helpful.

Since you have the heads off, perhaps have a shop check them
for flatness... Even if they are off, it is a cheap, quick fix,
not to mention it leaves you with a like-new surface.

john
58 Hardtop (Registry #8452)
Old 06-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Apprentice

coastie124

I would suggest using an engine degreaser. You can get the type that foams so that it doesn't get on the things you don't want it to. That way you don't even have to worry about it. Then I would clean it with brake cleaner(contact cleaner) and finally coat it with some WD-40.(light coating) That way you can leave it until your ready to put it back together.
There is a type of cleaner we use on our helo's in our shop that is nonflamable and enviromentaly friendly, though it is'nt too cheap. It's common name is Power Wash. If you use something like this then all you have to do is clean it with this and a brush. "It is also good for the enviroment."

Brian Costello

Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

Believe it or not.............I had some of that "Orange Oil" cleaner that you always see on TV...........I cleaned my nasty greasy oil pan with it inside and out. The bottom had a crusty layer on it and that stuff cut right through it with no problem. I also cleaned the transmission pan and screen ........and the oil pick up screen. You can buy it in a gallon jug (concentrate) and it goes a loooooong way. I got a large bucket........mixed some up.......and soaked parts. I then rinsed them off with water and dried them off...........no oily residue !!!!It doesnt eat rubber either..........another one of mother natures miracles.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:59 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid my reply earlier was unclearly written. My remarks about
lacquer thinner and Scotch Brite pads were intended ONLY with regard
to the portion of the head where the gasket goes... All of the other suggestions made would work far better on the rest of the
head than what I appeared to be suggesting.

My concern with that particular surface is to produce the best
seal for the new gasket and never have to tear the head off
again. Hence it can't possibly be too clean or too flat!!

John
58 Hardtop:7
Old 06-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road

> Believe it or not.............I had some of that "Orange
>Oil" cleaner that you always see on TV...........I cleaned
>my nasty greasy oil pan with it inside and out. The bottom
>had a crusty layer on it and that stuff cut right through it
>with no problem. I also cleaned the transmission pan and
>screen ........and the oil pick up screen. You can buy it in
>a gallon jug (concentrate) and it goes a loooooong way. I
>got a large bucket........mixed some up.......and soaked
>parts. I then rinsed them off with water and dried them
>off...........no oily residue !!!!It doesnt eat rubber
>either..........another one of mother natures miracles.

No kidding? I need to get me some o'dat!