This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

THUNDERBIRDS . . . (excuse me)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road
Cool power golde

Hi,
After the fire and the loss of my beautiful fully loaded J code i managed to rescue the power roof.

Ok, The Golde roof in Fords history and what was Factory and what was not, as you know Golde had all ready open an office in Detriot many years before Ford approach Golde to design them a sunroof, as the sunroof fitted at the Wixom factory was fitted in by Golde, a number of bodies from the Budd company were sent to Golde for the installation of the roof then the shell return to Wixom were the car had its own trim line to fit the interior trim for the sunroof.

As you all know or some of you a POWER golde sunroof was found in a Breakers yard in NH, this is true and i had to purchase the whole car! just to get that roof.
With the help of my New Friend, Dave he saved as much as possible and the needed parts were shipped to my home here in England.

On inspection of the parts, all of which are Golde part number and stamped!! and further to the design i can assure you all the car was a genuine power Golde roof.

As you all know , way back when you could get Fctory and dealer options, so in truth there was nothing stopping you from ordering a sunroof car from your dealer and asking them to contact Golde direct to ask for the option to be power and not manual.

Everyone must understand that this sunroof was nothing to do with Fords design studio, the whole roof and patents were and still Golde Owned.

I have owned other Classic cars with manual and power Golde sunroof, i have quite an extensive book collection on the designs and the company of which as you know was later sold via the ASC (American Sunroof Company) .
If you have a chance to check out the 1973 Buicks or even the 1970 Thunderbirds the power roof designs in those cars are near on the same.

In some of my original books i have clear photo shots of 1959 Buicks and Oldsmobile with manual and POWER roofs fitted, i even have a 1958 Ford Fairlane with the said roof fitted, in a genuine Golde company design book.

I had the roof fitted in my old Manual sunroof car and the whole job was done in one day! as the design was so simple.
The roof was fitted by Time Served craftmen here in Engalnd who were doing teh job 50 years ago, infact the chap who fitted it was fitting them in the 1960s so it was done right.
The company also held Blue Prints on the roof to show me from there own records.

So i still have the power roof and all that is needed to change your manual roof to a power one, so one day i will have to buy another Golde and sell my Aquamarine Convertible of which is jaw dropping but its not that 1 of 377 built! lincoln hot rod toy.

Kev,
Old 06-04-2008, 06:14 AM

ozroadrunner is on a distinguished road
Default Another Aussie Squarebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Leavens View Post
Peter welcome to the site and I too am interested, in knowing just how many squarebirds you might have in Auatralia.Keep your posts coming and let us know when she arrives.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Hi Dano,
I've just joined and I have a 1960 Bird on the water to Brisbane Australia from LA. It should be here in the next 2 weeks. It has a sunroof which from reading this website is rare. I was told by the seller, it was a "moon roof"
I have had a 60 and 2 x 65's in the past.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

Welcome Ozroadrunner, nice to see another Squarebirder down here in Oz. A couple of guys have asked how many squarebirds are in OZ. According to the Thunderbird Owners Club of Australia, they think about 15, plus one more now!

Bill
Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Congrats on a fine purchase. The '60 sunroof's were quite rare- only some 4200 were made (Roughly 390 had the 430cid engine option). The sunroof didn't appear as a T-Bird option again until 1969....

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Welcome and congratulations Ozroadrunner:

Do you have a photo or two of your Bird and sunroof?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Wink

2536 w/352 , 377 w/430

WELCOME !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
Congrats on a fine purchase. The '60 sunroof's were quite rare- only some 4200 were made (Roughly 390 had the 430cid engine option). The sunroof didn't appear as a T-Bird option again until 1969....
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Thanks, I will post a pic when I can take a decent one. I have wires to put on it etc.

I saw a post that said a company in CA has parts for the Golde Top.
I need the plastic surround for the handle.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis
Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM

Smile Yet another Squarebird in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
Welcome Ozroadrunner, nice to see another Squarebirder down here in Oz. A couple of guys have asked how many squarebirds are in OZ. According to the Thunderbird Owners Club of Australia, they think about 15, plus one more now!

Bill
Actually Bill, as well as the Golde top 60, I bought in another 60 T Bird, very straight, it is for sale. Also have a 1965 & 1966 as well as a 1969 Lincoln done 26,000 miles genuine. All for sale.

Dennis Brisbane
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road
Red face

Dennis,
Go to www.tbirdranch.com i am sure you can find a repro plastic cup for the handle, MAN! I MISS MY GOLDE.

Kev
60 Con
England.