This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Apprentice

mvonhobe
Default Electric Fan

Alex & everyone,
I was looking at past posts on cooling issues and was getting inspired to install an electric fan. But I also saw the warning NOT to do so unless I have an alternator. Alex, I think you said that "A generator will not genarate enough electricity in slow traffic to keep the battery charge."

Just wanted to confirm that.

And Alex, I was looking at the photos you posted of Brad Holt's electric fan installation.....what is that thing fastened TO??? It ALMOST looks like it's screwed to the radiator but THAT can't be!

Matthew
1959 Turquoise HT
www.geocities.com/mvonhobe/thunder
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=13517

Old 06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Electric Fan

Matt,

You will need an alternator if you go to electric fan. You will also need a powerful fan, also you will also need to check how many amps the fan draws, to determine what size alternator you will need. If you are going to get a puller fan make certain that you have enough space from behind the radiator to the front of your water pump pulley to install the fan, I think this is about four inches maximum. As far as the fasteners on the electric fan that you saw the photo of (I did not see the photo), but they may be plastic fasteners that are actually pushed through spaces in the radiator coils and bolted from the other side. I was looking at fans earlier this year, but have decided to try to fabricate a lightweight steel or aluminum fan shroud instead. I should have the shroud into the Thunderbird budget in the next two or three years;-) I put a really good flex fan on my car last fall, I thought it would take care of the over heating problem. Well, last week at only 80 degrees, tied up in traffic for five to ten minutes and I was up to 207 degrees engine temp. Obviously the new fan didn't do the trick...

Steve Ronk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 06-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Electric Fan

You can do electric fan installation, but you need to be aware of the limitations of a generator. If you do a lot of city driving or are stuck in a traffic jam, your battery will run down.

The aftermarket electric fans are mounted by either plastic wire ties or threaded rods though the radiator. You can fabricate a separate mount if you want.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top