This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Apprentice

mvonhobe
Default Won't START!!!

This must be one of those Murphy's Law corollaries and it's about to cause me a coronary!
I recently replaced my starter (see other posts for THAT project!). That's ALL I did. After completing that job, I got in to see if it would work. It TRIED to start like a CHAMP. No more Rrrr...rrr...rr.
BUT, it wouldn't fire up. I checked the coil lead - nice bright orange spark. I pulled a plug and it has a nice spark. After cranking for a while, fuel spray comes out of the carb (air cleaner is off).
So it appears to be getting fuel and it appears to be getting spark.
Distributor is nice and tight so I don't think the timing would have mysteriously changed.
Hrmph!

Matthew x(
1959 Turquoise HT
www.geocities.com/mvonhobe/thunder
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=13517

Old 05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl
Default RE: Won't START!!!

Try cleaning and/or re-setting your points. If they are off in the slightest...or dirty.....or old.....it wont turn over............and make sure all your parts under the distributor check out. I had a 63 1/2 comet once and after tuning it up.........forgot to put the piece that rotates around under the cap back on. It took me about half an hour to figure it out.(silly fool) I had problems with my 58 doing the same.........especially after it had rained a few days. I ended up getting a petronix ignition system and never had the problem since.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road

Matt

I agree check the points out first. If they are OK, make sure you have gas :-)

Steve Ronk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I bought a Squarebird last spring. It started and ran very well for a short while then began to have more and more starting issues. I checked the plugs - brand new and clean. Check the points - new. Bought a dwell meter and fine tuned them. Continued to start fine sometimes, not at all other times. Felt dumb... I took a plug out and layed it on the block and turned it over, seeing a nice spark.

Finally one day I happened to check the plug GAP. It was nearly
.050 ! I have a stock ignition which requires only .032.

My theory is that whoever changed the plugs simply took new ones out and put them in as they came from the manufacturer. For a 2000 vintage ignition, .050 might be fine. For that ancient set up I have,
it was way too much once the plugs had a tad of wear on them. I also recalled that creating a spark out in the open air is not the same as in the cylinder under load.

Anyway, I set the gap and that took care of it. Best test was this January when the car started up easily at 5 below zero (no, I did not go for a ride...).

So while this is probably not your problem, my experience might save someone from wasting alot of time over a simple problem...

John - MA
58 Hardtop
Old 05-06-2004, 05:31 AM

rv2004

check to make sure that you did'nt leave one wire off of the solinoid.when the engine is in run mode coil is fed current through the resister,when trying to start one small wire from solinoid feeds 12volts direct to coil bridging resistor and giving a hotter spark for starting.good luck bob
Old 05-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Apprentice

mvonhobe

I've now replaced the point, condensor, rotor and distributor cap. I still get a nice spark out of the coil wire; I still get a spark out of a plug (different plug this time), fuel is still getting into the carb. (YES, Steve - there IS fuel available!!!), and still won't fire. I don't see any wire's disconnected from the starter swap.

NICE Thunderbird....NICE Thunderbird.... :7 No, I REALLY mean it!

@#%*$&%!!!!!!!

Matthew
1959 Turquoise HT
www.geocities.com/mvonhobe/thunder
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=13517

Old 05-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

The only thing I can guess now..........is that somehow your timing is off. Was the car running when you bought it ??? Sometimes the timing of these old fords "slip" if the distributor wasnt to tight. There is also a resistor on the firewall. Check your vacum advance. If the diaphragm is bad or is leaking it will cause problems. I had an old Falcon that seemed to have no power.......until my father loosened the distributor and turned it...........ran like a charm afterwards. You mentioned that you bought your car from an Estate sale. Had the car sat for a long time ?? If so the problem may be in the gas itself. Gasoline breaks down after a period of time............maybe a shot from a can of starting fluid will spark it up and over its "hump".
Old 05-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

My 1959 Thunderbird did not want to start at all a few days ago. It turned out that the choke flap was not completely closed. A few adjustments with a screwdriver, and I was on my way.

I agree that timing can affect starting. Mark with chalk where the vacumm advnce of the distibutor is pointing. Loosen the 1/2 head bolt that is holding the distributor down until you can turn the distributor, but don't remove the bolt. Turn the distributor a few degrees either direction and see if the car starts.

If your engine cranks and it has both fuel and gas as you demonstrate, it should start.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 05-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Experienced

Matt,

If you have good spark and gas it is possible it is out of time, although for you not to have it even try to start is odd. Normally unless your timing is off a mile it will at least pop and try to fire up. I am no expert on FE engines , but I can tell you where to go to find some one who is...The Fe Forum, there are some real experts on this site. Sign up and tell them the problem, I'll bet they can help. Here is the site...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182

Steve Ronk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Experienced

Matt,

I didn't re-check the posts that you made during the starter saga, but didn't you mention that you either saw or smelled smoke after you got the starter in. I know almost nothing about Squarebird electrics, but, is it possible that something shorted and for whatever reason you are now not getting enough spark from the coil to ignite the fuel. If you go to the FE Forum you may want to mention this to them along, with everything you have done and replaced. Good luck.

Talk to you later...

Steve Ronk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa