This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Squarebird Cup Holder

I know they make cup holders for the Mustangs and the early two-seater T-Birds, but not for the Squarebirds. I want to rectify that situation.

I have designed a cup holder that fits cans and bottles and fits neatly on the console for the Squarebird using a magnet. It installs and removes in seconds and does not mar your console.

I made this one-off prototype on my computer and had it printed out in 3D in ABS plastic. The cost of the prototype was about $75. I think I can make them in quantities of 100 for about $60 each. They would be supplied in white could be dyed to match the interior of a car. Possibly I could supply them in the common colors of black and red.

The final product would be better looking than the one pictured. I would fillet the edges with a greater radius to make it smoother and would have inserts for the cans/bottles/mugs with a chrome edge.

Would anyone be interested in this?

I would also like to thank John Byers for sending me a box of Henry Weinhard root beer. This stuff is awesome. It is one of the best tasting root beers I have ever tried. I used a bottle to test my new cup holder.

Underside showing magnet

Great root beer by Henry Weinhard!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Smile

Sounds great!! Esp if the color were red (in the case of your car in the photo). Perhaps you (or us) could attach some felt cloth to the underside to cover the magnet

thanks!
John
58 Hardtop, red console
Old 06-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Good idea, but it needs design help. Too square. I bed it has an adverse effect on the radio sound too.

What CAD software is it? Maybe I can help out, but work's real busy right now. PM or email me.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Webmaster

I agree it is too square. I just made it as a test to see how it fits. I will radius the edges much more to make it more visually appealing. I may add indentations on top to hold pens or change.

Tell me your design ideas. I want to make this a product Squarebird owners want.

I am using SolidWorks.

I should be getting a 3D scanner and a 3D ABS printer in a few weeks.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

Very interesting project... I will certainly be interested to watch this develop.. off to a great start.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 AM
John

Talking

Are they ready yet??? I am washing my passenger side floor mat from a soda that fell over while I went around a corner last night.

John
Holderless 1958 Hardtop
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Webmaster

Not yet. I recommend that you drink seltzer soda or water in the meantime.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 AM
John

hmmm.....sounds like good advice....at least diet soda is less sticky than the sugar based stuff.

Still Holderless Hardtop
John
Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

John how fast were you going around the corner?? If it was a decent enough chooch around the turn, at least spilling the soda is the least of your problems.

Alexander: I too agree, that it is a great idea and with the help of the other members, can be refined to meet the needs of the consol and look a little slimmer. I also noticed you had your favourite brew displayed,Root Beer.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
John

Dano, I was participating in a life or death situation: hustling to pick up my wife in a shopping center lest she stand there too long.

John