This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 AM

deano2469 is on a distinguished road
Cool Hi all

Hi guys,some know me from (MEL) site,i have a 59 square hard top and am attempting to put a 65 MEL 430 into it.I have a th700r4 behind it,i have added 72 lincoln disc brakes to the front and abs disc kit to the rear.car will be dual fuel,tank custom fit inside boot.getting custom exhaust measured up at the moment as tight fit,left to right conversion sees falcon steering box higher ad wider than stock position,so standard manifolds won't fit.I am using mid mounts for engine as the 65 lincoln 430 i have does not have the forward mounting option,stock 59 mounting point on chassis and stock lincoln rubber mounts give o.k hieght but i might have to move engine forward a tad to help gearbox clear firewall better.Getting help with this donk in australia is a challenge ,kultulz has been very helpful to me in the past and i might be asking some fairly dumb questions in the future so please bare with me.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

It sounds like you have taken on a big project,Good luck let us know how everything works out
Bob M
Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road
Default Hi all

Deano:

Welcome to the site. I wonder of you might be able to answer a question for me?

I have a 60 HT with 430. I think that it may be a rebuilt Lincoln engine because the timing marks as not as shown in the Ford manual.

The Ford manual says that the 1960 430 has marks from 0 to 20 degrees advanced; in 2 degree increments.

My 430 has timing marks from 0 to 10 degrees (0,3,6,10) JUST LIKE this photo for the 352.
Ignition.JPG

If yours is a Lincoln 430, do your timing marks look like that (0,3,6,10)? Or are they 0 to 20 degrees?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 AM

Default thanks for welcome

yes Bob M , a project it is and if i could work out how to put photos on i would give you a look.In response to bcomo,my 430 engine is a 65 continental motor,i believe it was cast in 64.the pully i have has 0-30 in 2 Degree increments,sorry if this makes your situation worse.dean
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Super-Experienced

Thanks for the information.

What I still can't understand is why they would put timing marks for 0-30 in 2 degree increments when the timing will be set at between 6-8 degrees. Isn't that a little overkill?

Where on the block do you find the casting date? Is that easy to explain or not?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 PM

Default casting date

hi ,i found numbers stamped on left hand side(US drivers side)of my block on a machined surface in front of head and above waterpump bolting point.Kultulz informed me of what they were and let me know what they meant.They were casting date.On the timing marks,yeah a little overkill.I have only begun to sort this motor out,I am making custom exhaust now just to see if i can get engine to fit where i have it,then i will be rebuilding it.I can almost gaurantee i will be asking more questions.stay tuned.Dean
Old 06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Super-Experienced

Yes, and if you have AC like mine does, you can't see it because the compressor covers it.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:00 AM

Hi Bart,I only dream of air conditioning,maybe in the future if i get lucky on ebay or win lotto.Tee hee
Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Super-Experienced

Dean:

The AC brings to mind the one suggestion that I can make for your project. That 430 has a VERY long shaft starter. When I had to replace mine, I had to disconnect the exhaust headers, engine mounts, trans mount, and various hoses. I had to jack the engine so far up that the bell housing was into the AC firewall shroud (cracked a piece of the shroud). I was just barely able to pull the starter out with 1/8 inch clearance because of the front cross member.

You might want to make sure that your installation allows you to be able to remove that starter. I'd put a brand new one in before I dropped that engine in if it was in the budget.

I'd rather go to the dentist for a root canal than change that starter again.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 AM

Hi Bart,I am running a th700r4 behind my mel and the adapter kit comes with an hitashi high torque starter that is only about 2 inches beyond the adapter plate,thanks for the info though.sorry if customising my bird this way ruffles a few feathers........