This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Apprentice

1rancher is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Won't START!!!

hi
If all the electrical checks out including hot enough spark "color of spark matters" yellow bad, white good, then i might look to mean mr vacum. It bit me when i was 17 with my first 59 bird. Check all vacum related parts, generally it would have to be a pretty big leak to keep it from firing, less big and it might fire but not start and a small leak the car will still run. It is hard to find a vacum leak when not running because you might be able to hear it so you will have to spot it visually instead.
later
mark 1960 conv bird
http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_FojEK...6s5rZsDWU2xL6x
Old 05-19-2004, 08:00 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

If it still won't start then back to basics perhaps - whether its a lawnmower, chainsaw or Lamborghini, you must have three things:
gas, spark and compression. You seem to be convinced that gas is getting into the cylinders and you probably didn't blow two entire head gaskets while parked! So that leaves us with spark - quality of and timing of.

I would want to carefully check the timing of the spark, particularly if it is somehow quite retarded (when I got my car a year ago, the last mechanic had not tightened the set bolt on the distributor so anything's possible).

You can manually check the timing without a running engine or timing light to see where you are at.

Take the cap off the distributor. Get a 15/16" socket and put it on the crankshaft. Turn slowly until you get into the vicinity of the #1 cylinder that the timing marks are set up for. (this may take more than one turn if you are not on the compression stroke). Turn the key on. Listen carefully and at the instant the points open, you will hear a little "snap" and perhaps also see a spark jump across them (best in a somewhat dark garage). This is accented a bit by the presence of 12V instead of the usual 6V during start up (see earlier
post). Peek down at the crank and see where you are relative to the timing marks on the crank shaft. You should now have a good sense of whether your timing is in the ball park or not.

The vacuum advance is not a factor in this, obviously. The mechanical advance could be if it rusted itself into an advanced position. A worn shaft with too much side play can also influence the points opening (the TBird distributor had some somewhat hidden oil orifices that often are not maintained).

At any rate, you have a chance to carefully inspect the firing of your #1 cylinder with little effort, and it may be repeated until you are convinced things are either ok or in need of work.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Apprentice

pabob1960 is on a distinguished road

I may be wrong but it sounds like he flooded the motor.

I'd pull the plugs, inspect and reinstall.

Hopefully it's something that simple.

If it ran before the starter change, the timing should not be off that much to cause this problem.

My two cents worth

Pabob
59 Conv
Old 06-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Apprentice

mvonhobe

Well, guess WHAT.....

I'd replaced the starter with one SOMEBODY from this group located for me on e-Bay. It was from a marine application - no, not the military, it was off a boat motor. Fit like a glove, turned the engine like a champ.
2 months or later, I'm back in the shop looking at it, applying a multimeter to every steeeeeenking part on the mill; the coil, resistor, etc. Suddenly, as the engine is turning over, something just doesn't look RIGHT. I yanked the distributor cap off (new, along with points, condensor, and rotor) and watched the rotor go round and round and round...........clockwise.
I'll let y'all know what happens when I re-replace the starter.

:D

Matthew
1959 Turquoise HT
www.geocities.com/mvonhobe/thunder
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=13517

Old 06-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road

Matt,

I am the one that gave you the heads up on the starter on ebay. You have to admit it was a good price;-) I never would have guessed that that was the problem, of all things. Rather then changing the starter, I believe you can change the cam and distributor gears to reverse the rotation of your points, LOL.
I am really sorry that I even suggested the ebay starter to you...the seller didn't mention that it came off a boat did he? Well, it sound as if it is about time for you to get back into the grease pit. I wish I could be there to help you.

Steve Ronk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
Old 06-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl

My curiosity is now peeked. While rebuilding the front end on my car I decided to replace the tired starter recently. I too got a "great" price on a rebuilt starter on ebay only to put it in the car and have it get stuck and short out. I wonder if I too got a bum deal from the same place. I was told that mine was one of 3 being sold.......... anyway.............its the first and LAST electrical part I get from a seller on ebay..............and once again........Macs Auto parts came through !!! Lesson learned
Old 06-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Experienced

Travlin is on a distinguished road

>I was told that mine was one of 3 being
>sold.......... anyway.............its the first and LAST
>electrical part I get from a seller on ebay..............and
>once again........Macs Auto parts came through !!! Lesson
>learned

I wouldn't discount every electrical part Ebay seller. I bought an original voltage regulator on Ebay -- Works like a champ and looks good too!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Apprentice

mvonhobe

Hey Steve, I wasn't ABOUT to snitch you off - but I guess you have SO much integrity you had to drop the dime on yourself. Good on you!

And it WAS a good deal. I asked the seller some questions and she did say it was from a boat. I thought, "so what?" I never thought to ask which way the dang thing spins - someone wiser than I might have thought to ask that question! Might have been on the "driver's side" of the flywheel or else installed BEHIND it. Who knows. Don't really care right now!
I did give some thought to trying to reverse the polarity of the thing but I'll have to pull it out first to see if the drive end is designed the same way the original starter drive is - to slide up and engage in only one direction.

Now then, fellas, I'm going to put you back to "work". I have a starter MOTOR coming tomorrow or Wednesday. It doesn't have the drive unit included; I'll have to take the one off my original starter unit. Now what kind of fun am I looking at with that operation? At least the boat starter came as a complete unit - both starter motor and drive! And as the old, naughty limerick that comes to mind ended, "But alas, with a Fred-reversed thread!"
}>
Matthew
1959 Turquoise HT

Old 06-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Experienced

58tdactyl

Since I just went through this............here goes........

compress the spring on the bendix and you will see the pin that holds it in place. With a small punch or skinny phillips head screw driver........push it through. The bedix should just slide right off with no problem. The shop manual says if you need to clean it........do so with keroscene. It goes back on the new starter with a little elbow grease. DO NOT lose the little pin !!!

***** make sure the shaft of your new one is the same length as the old one !!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

mvonhobe
Default Will START!!!

New starter moter + old starter drive = VROOOM!!!
Very NICE!
NATURALLY, having sat for 2 months, another issue loomed; brakes needed bleeding. Got THAT done and went for a drive. Began to hear a noise I didn't like - eventually pegged that as a freshly broken sway bar bracket - one of the ones at the front, just under/behind the front bumper.
While I go "shopping" at various parts suppliers on the net, do any of you Squarebirders know of a source for these?
Tanks!

Matthew
1959 Turquoise HT