This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Oh boy,.....................
How the article can be so far off on a 2" pipe is beyond me. They claim the area of a 2" diameter = 2.76 square inches. No it's not, it's Pi or 3.14 square inches. - Dave
Yes, a somewhat simplistic article, but I believe, that was the intent of its' author. It seems mostly concerned with the understanding of flow sums thru simple tubing, with a goal of establishing the flow volume vs. diameters, and perhaps to spark some basic insight as to one's true requirements.

As far as the math, I believe the author is calculating the approximate area available based on the fact that the dimensional nomenclature for such tubing is referencing O.D. dimension not I.D..

Scott.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 PM

lake bird is on a distinguished road
Default muffler choice

I presently have a set of thru mufflers on the cross pipe ends
pretty loud, anyone have a preference for a nice sound just not
to loud....probaly just have the last sections make at a local shop or run them out the side not over the axle...
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Apprentice

StealthSRT10 is on a distinguished road

I got my exhaust done about 5 months ago. Its just true dual straight pipes turned out before the rear tire, Like the old racing thunderbirds. its 2 1/4inchpipe.Pretty loud if i step on it but super quiet on freeway. untill you drive by a concrete median lol. it just sounds so **** good
Thunderbird Registry #8442
Daily driver
Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 AM
Apprentice

Wyldie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Oh boy, I read the article and they left a whole lot out. Length of the system and number of degrees of bend makes a lot of difference in back pressure. They mention nothing about an "X" or "H" pipe.

I showed how to get the area of a pipe. How the article can be so far off on a 2" pipe is beyond me. They claim the area of a 2" diameter = 2.76 square inches. No it's not, it's Pi or 3.14 square inches.

I think the article is a very crude 'tool' to give the reader peace of mind. At least, it shows a difference in pipe sizes. - Dave
Hey Dave

Here is an interesting Video I'm sure you will get a kick out of on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU&t=646s
Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 PM
Super-Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Since the new exhaust system installation, the exhaust manifold exhaust pipe connection leaked and was repaired twice. My shop said something about trying a copper crush gasket before maybe fabricating a new pipe. Iím having a hard time understanding exactly what the issue is. All I know is after driving about 100 miles, the exhaust gasket starts leaking really bad.

I assumed that the set up required an asbestos Ė metallic type donut gasket. Can anyone explain what a copper crush gasket is, how itís different and how it works.

Dean
Old 05-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Copper crush gasket - can have a larger raised area near the center of the tube to help allow for imperfections in the mating surfaces.

The OEM Squarebird exhaust manifold has a flat exhaust mating surface - didn't change to the "donut" type until later.... '61?

Hopefully the shop used a flat style exhaust connector rather than a donut style or that may be the problem.

Most likely just not aligned perfectly flat or when(if) they welded the flange to the pipe they were off just a bit and it isn't matching up. Could be why they are saying they may need to make a new pipe for that side.

Squarebird style manifold (flat)

Later donut type manifold mating surface.

Mine will need exhaust soon - been lurking about on this thread seeing what happens - had planned on using a local shop too.

Last edited by DKheld : 05-19-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Super-Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Thanks Eric. Perfectly clear. I didn't even know there was another gasket type since I always installed donut types. I can see why my shop wants to use a copper crushable gasket. They said the mating surface needing some grinding because the angle changed when the exhaust manifold was milled to mate flatter with the heads when that leaked.

I wonder why the imperfect mating surface gets worse? The extreme heat?

The other thing I asked for when he designed the pipes was an X-pipe, not an H. I believe I did that on Dave's recommendations in this or an earlier post. It seems no different than the H-pipe.

Dean
Old 05-19-2018, 06:49 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
...The OEM Squarebird exhaust manifold has a flat exhaust mating surface - didn't change to the "donut" type until later.... '61?..
Only the passenger's side (the RH side) is flat because the heat riser valve bolts directly to it. The other side of the heat riser is domed to accept an exhaust pipe flange that may be 'off' by a lot.

The heat riser (or substitute 'blank' bypass) valve is important. Without it, there will be a big gap and a mismatch of fittings.

If your machine shop milled your exhaust manifold 'flat', that is all you need. The rest of the parts will compensate for small changes. Is your leak between the manifold and head? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Dave......both manifold exhaust connections are flat on the Squarebird ....... !

Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

My exhaust manifolds must be newer so I have to agree with you, Eric. The Master Parts Manual shows this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958_TbirdExh.jpg (133.0 KB, 117 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca