This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Apprentice

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Howard Prout, your close to Lockport as it can get, maybe an hour away. That may be a nice day trip to show them first hand your backrest frame and upholstery and get taken care of.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

For those of you who don't know, Mac's is now owned by Eckler's. The Lockport operation has been reduced to a shipping point - they don't have any stock there, everything is warehoused and shipped from Florida. I used to drop by Mac's in Lockport from time to time to pick up this or that. Not any more. What a shame.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Howard,
Please verify the Mac's Information. I knew the Cartouche operation and a shipping/receiving operation was there recently. Your seat covers were not made by them, but you might meet someone from Cartouche who can speak to your difficulty.
Carl
Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 PM
Tinkerer

From what I have been able to gather, everything ordered from Mac's is either shipped from Eckler's warehouse in Titusville, FL or from the wholesaler or manufacturer. The major label on the box says "Tapco" which I suspect is the manufacturer but there is another smaller label that includes "Thunderbird Headquarters"! Returned merchandise? It doesn't look like the box was previously opened and resealed.

Sorry Carl, what did you mean by the "Cartouche" operation?

Dave, I think you are right. I am going to pursue returning the cover and getting a replacement. I have attached a picture of the back side of the cover and all the seams look to be properly sewn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backside scaled.jpg (378.1 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Howard Prout : 03-01-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Super-Experienced

Howard,
CARTOUCHE™ brand upholstery, proudly offered to you by MAC's Antique Auto Parts, carries the world’s largest selection of interior fabrics and colors for Antique Fords and Classic Fords in both authentic materials and non-authentic materials for the budget-minded enthusiast. Precisely hand crafted in the USA, Classic Ford Upholstery by Cartouche offers antique & vintage automobile interior products for 1909 to 1927 Model T Ford, 1928 to 1931 Model A Ford, and 1932 to 1954 Early V8 Ford & Mercury vehicles.
This manufacturing operation is/was still in Lockport.
Carl
Old 03-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Prout View Post
For those of you who don't know, Mac's is now owned by Eckler's. The Lockport operation has been reduced to a shipping point - they don't have any stock there, everything is warehoused and shipped from Florida. I used to drop by Mac's in Lockport from time to time to pick up this or that. Not any more. What a shame.

Mac's Antique Auto Parts ? In Lockport, NY ? The warehouse has moved to Florida. The showroom does not have as much stuff as before. Anyone can order, pick-up and return merchandise at the Lockport, NY location. I went through this with the clerk over the phone on our recent order. Of course, in your situation, they are your seatcovers Howard Prout.

Simplyconnected, I always look forward to these mini dissertations that you regularly provide on the inner workings of detroit in the decades past. There is a poster on another forum that I use for info on my F-250. This poster can tell you any Ford part number, the years used and if any are available at any dealer in the USA. Pretty remarkable.

Austin
Old 03-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
...Simplyconnected, I always look forward to these mini dissertations that you regularly provide on the inner workings of detroit in the decades past...
Thanks Austin, but I come from a unique vantage point. I started my career at Ford, working on the production line.

Most 'stories' come from folks who quickly observed as they passed through the plant. They missed most of the details and all of the politics. This is a tough place to work as many cannot or simply will not do it. I stuck it out because the money was great and I wanted to move from my parents, get married, and start on my own. As my aged advanced so did my goals. From production, I went through the Ford/UAW electrical apprenticeship, and continued my education as my career developed.

The Rouge consists of 17 plants. Many times, I was laid-off in one plant just to be hired in another the same day. Not to bore you but I worked in the (Dearborn) Stamping Plant, Frame Plant, Engine Plant, (two) iron foundries, Assembly Plant and the Power House (yes, we burned coal and made steam, electricity, compressed air and pumped mill water and coke oven gas to all the plants via underground tunnels and vaults.). I graduated in Steel Div., worked in the Penthouse of World Headquarters and I worked in Manufacturing Development, then for 'Staff' at Body and Assembly General Office. All this and much more happened in my career that started in 1971.

I've experienced many facets of the automotive 'machine' because I loved every part of working in it. Cars are my passion and Ford offered opportunities that most never get. I worked with engineers who designed and built Squarebirds (and other cars) during their career. They were passionate about their disciplines and were eager to pass knowledge to the 'young guys' like me, just for the asking. So, none of these ideas are mine. They belong to those who came before me and I am passing them along, in kind. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Tinkerer

Carl, I should have recognized Cartouche as a manufacturer of upholstery kits. Do you know if they are still in business? In Lockport? I googled them but got no useful result. Are you using a Cartouche kit for your '60 project?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Super-Experienced

Howard,
They do still make kits for earlier Fords but NOT for the Squarebird. Friends have told me the operation in still in Lockport but I have not confirmed it. If you're ever able to contact them someone there might be able to offer some guidance.
Carl
Old 03-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

...Not to bore you...

...I loved every part of working in it. ...
Simplyconnected,
From over here I can say not bored in the least. Throw in some intrigue, captivating, glued to the screen type of response.

But maybe you gave it away, the key, "I loved every part of working in it"

Thanks,
Austin