This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Ken 6645 is on a distinguished road
Question 1964 T bird ...I need A/C help

After 6 months I will throw in the towel- nuts and bolts kitchen sink and the dog.. SO can any of you ford guys know who has the best price [[AC kits complete]]..I see a lot of ac kits for1500.00 but know nothing about about installing a new kit . who has the most reasonable installation cost... what would a fair cost be..? does the steering column have to be pulled.... thanks for your time Ken
Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1964 T bird ...I need A/C help

Hi Ken, there are several major AC system kits available today. One is Vintage Air and another is Classic Auto Air. Vintage Air does NOT list a dedicated AC kit set up for ready install into a Tbird. Classic Auto Air DOES... They have specialized kits for 1955-1966 Tbirds, including one for your 1964. Yes, the kits will cost you $1,500 to purchase. What it will cost you for a company who specializes in installing these kits is something that you will need to check out in your area. It is difficult to say what that cost might be. We have a number of people on here who have recently had the Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" AC kit installed on their Squarebirds. They tell me it will run you out of the car it can get that cold. They work very well. In the case of those Squarebirds owners who have a non-AC equipped Tbird, they had to locate and obtain a 3 groove crankshaft pulley to make it all work. That can be hard to find for a Squarebird, and can get expensive. What you might need for your '64, perhaps someone like John ~ jopizz can tell you. Regarding having to pull the steering column, not that I know of, but John could probably comment on that as well. He has repaired or restored many 1958-1966 Tbirds over some 40+ years. If I were putting an aftermarket AC kit in my Squarebird, it would be a Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" made especially for my year of Tbird. You do not get that from Vintage Air, or any other manufacturer, that I know of. Many classic car owners are running their AC systems in their cars. Below is the link to to the 1964 Flairbird kit from Classic Auto Air. If anyone here in the States has recently, or fairly recently had a "Perfect Fit" system installed in their Tbird, please let us know what the installation costs were. Thanks!

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/...ioning-system/

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You should not have to remove the steering column. You will have to remove most of the lower dash on the passenger side to remove the old heater box and install the new A/C/heater box. As Ray mentioned you will most likely need a new water pump pulley. I don't believe it is included in either kit.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 AM

Ken 6645 is on a distinguished road
Default good advice and info

Hello Ray thanks for taking the time to reply .

i'm going to call around the tri-state area and see what I can find out about installation cost..Tri state area is Ky/ohio/WVa I,m located in Ashland Ky..south eastern...I/ll keep you what i find out
thanks again for your time Ken:confused