This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Apprentice

tbirdave
Angry Engine wouldn't shut off

I pulled into my garage on the way home from work, put my '58 in park turned the key to off, and the engine just kept running. No matter what I did it wouldn't shut off. I called my mechanic friend and while on the phone with him, it died. I pulled the battery cable and had it towed to his shop. I could smell an electrical smell. Have any of you Thunber-heads had this problem? If so what was it? I would like to know so I can give my mechanic a possible place to start looking.

HELP!!!!
Tbirdave
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Was the engine running normally or was it dieseling?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Apprentice

tbirdave

It was running normally.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Experienced

jipjob is on a distinguished road
Question

I would check out the ignition switch and see if its fried due to a short. Your mechanic should be able to check this out easily with a test light to see if there is juice going to the switch while on and when the switch is oft you should not be getting any juice to the pole that leads to the coil. I would check this first. I would also look under the hood for any wires that might be close to the ignition coil wire that could be shorting out to that wire. Kind of weird but also kind of interesting.

Did the car still have allot of power when it wouldn't turn oft? If it did than it was not a dieseling problem.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Apprentice

tbirdave

Ya, it was running normally. It did have a smell like something electrical was burning.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Experienced

Did you notice if the generator light was on after you turned oft the key?????? I'm going to pass this on to a group of mopar guys on the internet and see what they come up with. Jon
Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Experienced

msmaron1 is on a distinguished road

I had the exact same problem.. EXACT. But my key also got stuck in the ignition switch, has to change out the switch and never had a problem again
mark
Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Experienced

Some answers from my Dodge site:
Very common Ford issue. Can cause the other common Ford issue of Fire. The neighbors 58 Ford did this to him 2 summers ago. I believe with his it was a faulty ignition switch. The other thing that can happen is a bad starter that gets stuck and keeps turning. That leads to over heating wiring.

My recollection of the fifties Fords and into the sities, the tumblers used to wear in the ignitions quite bad. A good indication of this is having to wiggle the key in the ignition to start it. Brendan

Last edited by jipjob : 03-08-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road
Default Dieseling?

this may be a dumb question but what is meant by "dieseling"? I read it in the above posts and was unfamiliar with the term.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default dieseling

"Dieseling" is the run-on after ignition is switched off, usually in older engines. It is not normal combustion as the ignition is switched off. The gasoline is ignited by hot glowing carbon deposits, not by the spark plugs. The engine runs, but not smoothly.