This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default 1958-1960 Squarebird Youtube Video

Came across this video and found it really interesting. Watch it if you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHl93A4vGc

Nyles
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1958-1960 Squarebird Youtube Video

Thanks, Nyles, for this excellent video on the Squarebirds! Nicely done!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Super-Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Fabulous Nyles. I see watching the video brings up other Thunderbird YouTube videos.

I notice the interior door pulls either pointing to 3/9 O'clock or 2/10 O'clock. Even in other videos there is this inconsistency in the same year Thunderbirds. What's the deal?

Dean
Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
I notice the interior door pulls either pointing to 3/9 O'clock or 2/10 O'clock. Even in other videos there is this inconsistency in the same year Thunderbirds. What's the deal?

Dean
If you look at original publicity photos or sales brochures they are closer to 3:00/9:00 which is parallel to the trim. People take them off and replace them however they feel like.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Nyles thanks for posting this video as there were some exterior colours I hadn't seen before
58HT #33317
60 HT (Sold )
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Brandon Hord is on a distinguished road

Very nice!! Blows my mind how going from a 2 seater to a 4 seater made the sales go through the roof!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:04 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Brandon the popularity of the four seater 58-60 started with the babybird, two seaters 55-57. They were very popular but they weren't conducive to families / going on holidays as they didn't have room for the kids , luggage or any passengers in the back seat.
The 1958 Thunderbird ( known as the Squarebird ) won Car of the Year for its design and now being a full size luxury vehicle.
58HT #33317
60 HT (Sold )
Old 12-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Oddly enough, the Baby Birds shared the same Y-Block engine and frame as 1955-57 Full-Size Ford cars. A few outriggers were moved but it was the same frame. Baby Birds were built like a tank.

In my opinion, Ford did what they could with the T-bird Y-Block. They even added a supercharger! Regardless, the 'Y' had irreversible design flaws that were engineered into Ford's first attempt at an overhead valve engine. The 'Y' motor was quickly dropped from the T-bird lineup with the introduction of the Squarebird, in favor of Ford's second attempt, the FE engine. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

I'm not so sure I'd say that the T-Bird & full-size vehicles such as Fairlane "shared the same frame" w/ only "a few outriggers were moved", as I feel this might be an oversimplification when one considers the vehicle specifications:

T-bird - Wheelbase: 102" & Track: 56" (front & rear)

Fairlane - Wheelbase: 115.5" & Track: 58" (front) & 56" (rear).

Yes, upon examination of the frame, it would certainly appear that the engineering is shall we say........"cut of the same cloth", but, the "same"?

Perhaps, someone has the frame width dimensions (outside of channel to outside of channel; front, midships & rear?) of each vehicle, for further comparison of similarities or not? Length would not be necessary as the length is obviously different.

Scott.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected
In my opinion,............ the 'Y' had irreversible design flaws that were engineered into Ford's first attempt at an overhead valve engine. The 'Y' motor was quickly dropped from the T-bird lineup with the introduction of the Squarebird, in favor of Ford's second attempt, the FE engine. - Dave
I believe we have been over this territory previously, so I will only state: In my opinion, the "Y"-Block was a fine engine as engineered, in the context of it's time. But it does suffer from design & engineering deficiencies, though a typical ailment of its' era (or others), or most any engineering execution when studied/questioned in hindsight.

And was dropped from the T-Bird line as being inappropriate for the larger, heavier, more luxurious Squarebird; but was retained in the Ford line-up thru 1966 or so in other vehicles; and not to mention, very popular as an industrial power unit as they proved to be very durable even under less then ideal conditions.

Also, was the "Y"-Block Ford's first overhead valve engine attempt? Well, we'll leave out Henry's Quadricycle of 1896 +/- & perhaps the racer 999 of 1902, as these were of limited availability, not produced by the current company, and perhaps not good engineering examples of that which one invisions when one describes a typical O.H.V. engine. Your typical "Ford Y-block" definition would perhaps include the 239 introduced in 1954, followed latter by the 256, 272, 292, and 312 cubic inch engines. But, this leaves out the Ford 215 cubic inch six cylinder introduced in 1952 or the Ford 279 cubic inch truck engine of 1952, or the Lincoln 317 cubic inch also of 1952, all of O.H.V. design.

And, don't forget, Ford also produced a V8 engine of its' own design, with cylinder heads of somewhat "Pent-Roof" (maybe not a term in use at the time?) combustion chamber design, consisting of O.H.V.s, four per cylinder (32 total), dual O.H.C., dual sparkplugs, cast in aluminum (as was the block also)! Sounds like fairly contemporary engineering? Well, (here's the history lesson for those unknowing); how-a-bout during World War II? And, this V8 was of mass-production with somewhere around 28,000 +/- units produced by Ford Motor Co.! It's known as the GAA and later as the GAF engine (google for further information).

So, I think Ford Motor Co. had experienced previous engineering attempts at O.H.V.s before 1954.

Scott.