This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission fluid change

So since i had no idea when the transmission fluid was changed before, i decided to do it now.
I had ordered a new filter and pan gasket a while ago.
On the dipstick the fluid had a light red/brown color, but while draining the pan, the fluid looked quite dark.
In the pan is a small magnet, which has quite some very fine metal on it (more like metal dust mixed with fluid). There are also some glinsters in the fluid under in the pan. And a thin layer of a dark mudlike substance. The last i presume to be worn friction material. The transmission internals look very clean.
I was checking how to adjust the front band, but the manual mentions a special tool. Can the adjustment be done without special tool?
To my surprise the new filter has the filter screen on the top side, where it connects to the pump inlets, while the old one has the screen on the lower side. Can it be used like this?
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 11-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
To my surprise the new filter has the filter screen on the top side, where it connects to the pump inlets, while the old one has the screen on the lower side. Can it be used like this?
The filter sits in the fluid so it really doesn't matter where the screen is as long as it prevents anything harmful from getting into the pickup. I can't say I've ever replaced a filter. The original one is metal mesh and a good cleaning is all it really needs.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Experienced

Thanks John. I bought a filter kit with the filter and seal. The old filter/screen seems to be ok, only the opening for the pump inlets seems to be a bit too large. I will try the new filter/screen.
Any idea on how to adjust the front band without special tool?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post

Any idea on how to adjust the front band without special tool?
I've never tried it. Maybe Dave might know if you send him a PM.

John

Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Experienced

Some googling showed that the special tool is in fact a 1/4 " piece of metal spacer which should be held in between the adjusting screw and the servo piston stem.
The screw should be torqued to 10 "lbs. Then the spacer must be removed and the screw loosened 1 full turn and then the locknut fastened. Will try this tomorrow.

Last edited by Frango100 : 11-04-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT
1. Remove trans oil pan and back off the adjusting screw lock nut and adjusting screw far enough to insert a ¼” wide metal block in between the servo piston rod and the adjusting screw.

2. Turn the screw until it contacts the metal block. Then tighten screw LIGHTLY (about 10 inch pounds) then back off one full turn.
3. Hold the adjustment screw and tighten the lock nut to 20-25 foot pounds.

REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT
1. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the adjusting screw to 10 foot pounds.
2. Back off the adjusting screw 1-½ turns and tighten the lock nut to 35-40 foot pounds.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
...BTW, hey Frango100... When are you going to become a paid member??? When you do, I have something for you. - Dave
I asked you a couple months ago but never got an answer. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-05-2017, 06:30 AM
Experienced

Thanks for the answer Dave.
Regarding your question, i even didn´t see it before. I did answer to a question in that post, but didn´t follow what was coming after.
But yeh, you are right, its about time to become a paying member on here.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission fluid change

Frank, please look for the Private Message I just sent you regarding your new Paid Membership. Also, check out Anything Goes, Paid Members Forum regarding it! Welcome aboard!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Experienced

So i just checked and adjusted the front band. Used a 1/4" extension as the adjusting block. It was not far of though.
The new filter (brand Pioneer)unfortunately doesn´t fit. It looks very much the same as the old filter, only the large hole is not large enough to fit the pump inlet. Or it must go on with quite some force, which i doubt. The old filter has a 7/8" opening, while the new one is 27/32". The old filter is not a metal mesh filter, it is some kind of nylon mesh.
Also there is a (small) difference in the distance between the two holes. Bought this filter from Rockauto.
Then something else, the fluid. Here in Brazil i can´t find any type F fluid. Also not sure what was used in it before, but the car came with a small bottle of Dexron III. (which could be for the power steering). Is there any modern fluid which can be used safely?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Frank,

Which set did you buy. I'm pretty sure ATP-B41 is the correct filter and gasket set. I believe Rockauto has the incorrect listing. They show B33 which I think is the large case (430) filter. I would call and see if you can return it and get the correct one.

John