This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road
Default Latest TBird Caper

So, about a month ago I changed all my under hood fuel lines
(I know !!!! I should be running hard line) The fuel filter weighed a ton) It's a wonder it ran.
So, I installed one of those glass jobs with the removable fltr element.

Right away I noticed little floaters in there.
So the next day I'm driving and it just quit on me.
That filter was plugged solid. Looked like old coffee grounds.
I can only imagine what the inside of the tank looks like. I put a tank in it
for my dad years (decades) ago.
A new one from TBHQ is about $250 (Not Bad)
So that's the next thing I guess. I need to keep it in good running order as it's the "extra" car now. No 94 S-10 as aback up veh. (Sold it - shouldn't have)

Then get the top working . . . The list continues

Just don't have time or $$$$ for it right now.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner

Last edited by byersmtrco : 10-11-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
A new one from TBHQ is about $250 (Not Bad)
You can get the same tank from Rockauto.com for about $178 and we get a 5% discount.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

I see that jopizz posted the exact thing I was about to regarding gas tanks that Rock Auto sells the same tanks at a cheaper price... All the parts houses get their gas tanks from the same company, Spectra, in Canada, the only company I know of who makes them for our ole Tbirds. Keep in mind that many of the parts we need for these Tbirds of ours can often be found on Rock Auto, also, and, as John said, we get a 5% discount from them. Something over the years that I have tried to get our dedicated Tbird parts houses to provide us with, but they have refused to do so.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

This is just a heads up....
I bought one of the Canadian new tanks and it was about 2 years before I got to installing it and actually putting fuel in it. I had the tank installed, but didn't want fuel sitting in while I was working on the car, so I used a small boat tank to move the car around. Finally got things to the point where I could put fuel in the tank, and when I did, there was a drip from where the fuel fitting connects to the tank. I checked everything and found that it was the weld where the tank was leaking. Since I had the tank for several years, I had to eat it, and ended up taking it to a radiator shop to have the tank cleaned and repaired. Cost me another $70 to do that. Bottom line is verify, verify, verify, and it may pay to do a low pressure soap test on the tank prior to installing. Mine could have been the one in a thousand, but I got it!
As I said, just a heads up. If there is a leak, it is a lot easier to repair PRIOR to putting gas in the tank.
Nyles
Old 10-12-2017, 12:56 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road

One would think that they would pressure test them all before they go out, obviously not. It shouldn't have made any difference if it sat around for two or ten years. Unlike Chinese stuff, I would have thought that Canadian manufactured parts would be of a higher quality. Having said that, I guess it depends on who's on the production line at the time.
How do you think we feel, when we get Faulty stuff delivered here in Australia, & we do. Very frustrating.

Chris......From OZ.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Nyles, this is the first report that I have ever seen regarding a new tank from Spectra with a weld problem or any problem. To my knowledge, Spectra is the ONLY manufacturer of gas tanks for these old Tbirds of ours. It is to bad that you did not discover the problem initially.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

It was just one of the many small challenges to overcome to get the bird back on the road. During the restoration, I bought a lot parts, knowing I would need them eventually. Unfortunately, when I did this, if I did have a problem with any of the parts, it was usually on me.
The latest was a water pump I bought from Mac's a little over a year ago. When I went to install it, I found that the bypass hose fittings was 7/8" vs. the 5/8" fitting that was in the intake manifold and old pump. I was able to find a reducing hose to fit the pump and intake fittings which solved my problem. When I called Mac's, they wanted a 25% restock fee on the pump, plus I would have to pay for shipping. They also informed me that all of their pumps had a 7/8" bypass fitting, so beware if you order one of these.
I am going to call Mac's back and suggest that they carry the reducing hose and make a comment in the pump section to alert buyers. We'll see if they do anything.
Nyles
Old 10-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I too bought a Spectra-Premium tank for my '55.
I'm converting to EFI and I put the fuel pump INSIDE the tank like a modern car. When I heated the area around the discharge tube, I noticed it was SOLDERED in place (not welded like the seam).

Not a problem, because I have my own hose setups for the EFI from my Mustang. I did notice that the tank's discharge tube had a 'pickup' pipe that went down to the bottom-middle of the tank with a small screen. That's it.

I'm used to seeing a 'cup' configuration that the pickup tube sits in, that holds about that much gas in case I'm climbing a steep hill so fuel won't run out by the time I get to the top. OEM tanks have this as standard fare. When the car levels out, the cup refills. Otherwise, gas naturally sits in the lowest part of the tank at all times. I guess if the tank was full there would be no issue. I don't always have a full tank.

I'm used to seeing setups like this from my RC airplane days. In the fuel tank, we put a weight at the end of a silicone pickup tube (called a 'clunk'). When flying upside down, fuel goes to the 'new bottom' and the clunk does too, so the plane doesn't starve for fuel.

In automotive, when Model T cars climbed Pennsylvania mountains, gravity-fed fuel became lower than the carb and the engine died. Someone got the idea of climbing in reverse to keep the fuel above the carb. Hey, it worked.

Your new water pump came with an 'expanded' tube but the hole IS 5/8". It's simply a press-fit into the casting and the tube can easily be tapped out. Auto parts stores carry 5/8" steel tubes for a couple bucks. I know because Edelbrock manifolds come with NO tube, just the 5/8" hole. It's the same tube.

Some Squarebirds require the larger size tube. That's why Mac's sells them. I will look for a 5/8" tube part number later. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone noticed how thin/light the sheet stock is that these "Canadian"(?) fuel tanks are manufactured of? Compare to your original O.E.M. unit.

And yes, leaks are not that uncommon; always test prior to installing!

D.O.T. approved?

And, if modifications are required, the material welds nasty & warps horrendously!

Scott.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input!!!
My 1st choice would be, check (my) tank, and if it's
beyond repair repl it.
My 1st choice is using the OE tank.
The one that's in mine came out of a 60 HT. I want to say early-mid 80's.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner