This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default Starter motor

The last week the starter motor was turning over very slowly, almost not being able to start the engine. So i measured the battery voltage, which was ok at 12.7V, checked the wires, grounds and connections. All was ok. So today i removed the starter motor and found the brushes worn to almost nothing. But also the positive stud threads are almost gone, but doesn´t show signs of overheating.
What i think is strange, that there are four places for the field windings, but only three of them are in use. Didn´t have time yet to find out if this is normal, at least the starter motor was working fine until now. I have new brushes , but have to see if the positive stud is ok for re-use.
Edit: I just checked the manual and see that it is normal to only have three coils.
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 10-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

CLICK HERE for your starter motor...

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Experienced

Great foto gallery and text, thanks Dave. My starter looks a bit different on the Bendix side, it doesn´t have the large spring but looks more as a bearing.
What is the best way to connect the new brushes to the crimped/soldered side?
Unbelievable how clean your starter looked inside, mine is almost black. The positive connection bolt is made out of copper, do they sell this part separately? It is a two step bolt, thirst a thicker thread and then a smaller for the starter wire.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Slow Typist

Many of our vendors sell that copper starter bolt. I use kerosene (diesel fuel) to wash the inside. A good air hose or a few hours in the sun will help dry it out. That red paint is General Electric Glyptol, a special insulating paint. I don't want to melt or remove any of that with harsh solvents.

Funny you should mention the solder connection. I happen to be in my local friendly auto-electric shop where the old-school owner reached down and picked up a welding handle.

I was shocked. Well not really, but I was surprised at his most effective method for de-soldering that joint.

He had a six-volt battery connected to one end of the cables. So, one was ground. The other had a welding handle with a carbon electrode, normally used for cutting through steel. He stuck the carbon rod directly on the solder connection. The rod got hot and the brushes nearly fell out.

Then, he installed the new pair of brushes, crimped the metal over and added a little more solder. That left me thinking because I never saw or thought about using a carbon rod. The voltage was low enough where there were no sparks. The resistance of the carbon rod made a perfect heating element.

I suppose I could heat a good-size piece of steel with a torch, then use the hot steel on the solder connection. For a one-time operation that would do nicely.

Oh, one last word of caution... Do not paint your starter until you re-assemble it. Make sure your contact areas are bare and clean. I've seen beautiful rebuilds installed in cars but they wouldn't run at all. It doesn't take much paint to insulate 12-volts. The entire case is used for ground, from the mounting bolts to the end piece that holds the brushes. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Experienced

newyear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
CLICK HERE for your starter motor...
What a fantastic resource this website is!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Slow Typist

Thanks Peter, but as you can tell by the pictures, we've been here many times. During one of those times, I took some pictures along the way.

Taking pictures makes the job twice as long but it is for the benefit of anyone who comes behind me. I'm glad they help. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-22-2017, 01:01 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Peter thanks for the compliment about our site. We are very fortunate to have Dave Dare as our Webmaster and others and their wealth of knowledge.
Which is why I always say this is the the best Thunderbird site on the planet.
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 10-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Experienced

My starter motor doesn´t have any identification numbers on it, anybody knows what brand/type starter it is? I see several types of terminal posts for starters.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Experienced

newyear is on a distinguished road

All I have is as stated in the 1958 Ford Thunderbird Shop Manual
Part Number FAR-11002-A
Normal Engine Cranking RPM 150-180
Min.Torque @ 5 volts
Ft.Pounds (Min) 15.5
(Amp.) Load (Max.) 550
Gear Ratio 16.2
No Load Amperage @12v 80
Old 10-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Slow Typist

I don't know if you can find the wrong starter motor as Ford used the same one in all 6-cyl, 8-cyl, cars, trucks, tractors, marine, construction equipment, etc. Then, when Ford went to 12-volts in 1956, only the field windings changed.

MEL engines use the same starter motor but the electrical post was moved to clear the exhaust manifold.

Certainly, Ford couldn't possibly produce the required numbers of starter motors to meet production demands. So, a number of companies made them for Ford. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca