This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Experienced

newyear is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump replacement

Hi
I am planning to replace my existing fuel pump but would appreciate some advice or views on a suitable replacement.Rock Auto list a Carter(One only in stock) and Airtex pumps.These look superficially the same to me.My existing pump has a sight glass and vacuum lines attached.The Airtex is the pump pictured at the
bottom.
Many thanks
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA160079a.jpg (83.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg PA160080a.jpg (68.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg PA160081a.jpg (55.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Carter(M73066_P04_ANG__ra_p).jpg (31.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Airtex a(4206-1__ra_p).jpg (41.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Do you still have vacuum wipers? If so you will need the dual action pump like the one you have. Both Carter and Airtex have been making fuel pumps for many years. Since the Carter is $10 cheaper I would go with that one. If you have converted to electric wipers then you don't need the dual action pump and you can go with one of the cheaper alternatives.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Is an electric fuel pump an option? I rank that right up there with electric wipers and washers. I can see if replacing vacuum unit if it's a straight replacement.

Dean
Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Experienced

newyear is on a distinguished road

Thank you John and Dean.A Carter is on its way.I have read some of the threads concerning electric pumps but have decided to be conventional.
Regards
Peter
Old 10-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I was just about to inquire on the same subject !!

Here's what I can add....(in one of my usual long winded dissertations)

Ordered an Airtex ATX-3461 (dual action style) in Aug 2014 from Rock Auto. (still have the receipt on this one)

It failed about a week later. It was pumping fuel however the failure was the oil seal - it was dripping a fairly good amount of oil out of the fuel pump after each drive. Enough that it would blow back on the manifold while driving and you would smell oil burning going down the road.
Here's a pic - you can probably make out the brown oil all over the top of the gray fuel pump as well as the oil on the power steering pump and hose.

Contacted Rock Auto and they had a new one on the way shortly.

Pretty sure that one failed too but after the one year warranty.

Bought another AirTex Dual action and "thought" I bought one that had the lifetime warranty - seems like it was about $89 from Advance Auto (local US parts supplier) but I figured that would at least keep me from having to pay for the pumps that seem to fail sooner than later even if I do have to replace it. (still looking for the receipt on this one - darn it) This pump failed about 2 weeks ago - left me stranded in a parking lot so at least I was not on the side of the road. Was close enough to the house that I just filled the fuel bowls a few times and limped home.

Also - when I installed it some time back - the inlet and outlets were different sizes than ALL the other ones I've bought. Had to make an extra trip to the parts store for more adapters.
Here's a pic of the last one on the right...

Considering the electric option but that will mean either leaving the bad pump on there for the wiper vac boost or going with the electric wiper option. Leaning toward just leaving the old pump on and installing an electric.

Next question is - where? Near the tank in the back seems the best as far as less heat on the electric pump but running the wiring will be a bit harder and will have to either cut the new fuel line I ran or install more adapters. The new electrics are not bullet proof either. Lots of folks using them to replace the SU electric pumps on the MGA's I work on. Most carry a spare electric pump - or two.

Eric
Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

It can be a coincidence, but I had an electrical pump from Airtex on my Jeep and that one also stopped working in a bit more than a year time. A very noisy pump from the beginning and to me it seems bad quality.
I now run a carter pump in my jeep. ( I know, its a whole other principle pump, but for me no Airtex stuff anymore).
I can´t find a brand on the mechanical pump on my bird, but it doesn´t seem to be that old. I just installed an electrical vane type pump from Carter, regulated at 6 psi, just for priming the fuel bowls and preventing long cranking times. That the electrical pump can be used as a back-up in case the mechanical pump fails, is just a bonus.
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue on my '60 and permanently deleted the mechanical pump when i had the engine rebuilt recently and I installed a Holley "red" electrical fuel pump. Suffice to say that with the thin rubber mounting they supply, you couldnt hear yourself talk inside. I am experimenting with ways to quieten it down as we speak, next is a four layer of rubber tyre tube fashioned into a gasket / mounting. It seems wherever you mount it the vibrations / noise will travel so making the feet better has to be the go. I will finish this today / tonight and will update.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

The MGA has rubber hangers/isolators for the exhaust.
Had the old ones laying about.
Installed an old one between the new fuel pump and frame to try and dampen the fuel pump sound.
Helped quite a bit but still did not take all the racket away.
They are fairly cheap but with shipping I guess it would be $20.
Might be something similar available local??
(if your fuel pump is rubber isolated though you do need to run a separate ground wire)

Just a thought for something that may work on the Tbird.
I have another old MGA hanger around and will probably use it on my Tbird if I go electric.

Here is the MGA exhaust hanger.
https://mossmotors.com/mount?assoc=16564

Eric
Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 AM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
The MGA has rubber hangers/isolators for the exhaust.
Had the old ones laying about.
Installed an old one between the new fuel pump and frame to try and dampen the fuel pump sound.
Helped quite a bit but still did not take all the racket away.
They are fairly cheap but with shipping I guess it would be $20.
Might be something similar available local??
(if your fuel pump is rubber isolated though you do need to run a separate ground wire)

Just a thought for something that may work on the Tbird.
I have another old MGA hanger around and will probably use it on my Tbird if I go electric.

Here is the MGA exhaust hanger.
https://mossmotors.com/mount?assoc=16564

Eric
Cheers for that Eric, just tried the same thing with an old engine mount...unsuccessfully. Same story for old rubber tube. I will beat this!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:55 AM
Apprentice

mh434 is on a distinguished road

Mine has an electric pump mounted on the side of the spare wheel well, just visible top left in the underside shot. I've not identified a make yet but it seems to do the trick even though it is a bit on the small side. Apart from the initial clicking when you turn the key its inaudible.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0364.jpg (135.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0342.jpg (138.8 KB, 48 views)
1960 Hardtop T'bird
1961 Hotchkiss M201
Ex-Army Land Rover