This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

As already stated make sure they mount it with the inside up.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
As already stated make sure they mount it with the inside up.

John
Right, well I think these guys believe they've seen and done it all because they didn't listen to me. I caught them mounting the tire outside up-twice. I say twice because the tire still leaks a bit no matter how much bead sealer the use.

Conclusion: First, it seems P215 75R14 are recommended to replace the 8x14 originals. I say go with P225 75R14 because my speedo is off-reading a few MPH high. This larger size should match up better with the approximate 27.5 inch height of the originals.

It seems I used 2 recommended Tire Rack installers, the second for my T-Bird install. I didn't buy these Coker's from the installer or Tire Rack, but neither listen to the customer much.

Last, before you use the spare tire wheel for your new tires, check it out closely. It might be the spare because of damage or poor condition.

Dean
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 AM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
It seems I used 2 recommended Tire Rack installers, the second for my T-Bird install. I didn't buy these Coker's from the installer or Tire Rack, but neither listen to the customer much.

Dean
Make sure if your installer is mounting the new tires they aren't idiots. Mine was, and the first tire he tore the sidewall and bead to shreds, then replaced it with an old Coker he found someplace. 1 year later the replacement wide whitewall is a wide biegewall.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Experienced

Right! I remember buying 7.75x14 Firestone bias ply tires for $25 each in 1971. These Coker Nostalgia wide whites are the least expensive at around $225 each. It ridiculous considering I could buy 20" diameter super tires for that price.

These tires aren't much different from the old Firestone 721's, so if someone wants to team up with Firestone to produce a $125 wide whitewall, I'm in favor.

Dean
Old 10-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Is it the Coker tires? I've had several different tires on/off
the stock rims without issues?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Experienced

Yes, these are Coker Tires Nostalgia model. I considered taking this one off myself and trying to remedy, but I'll spend as much as taking it somewhere else.

It can't be the wheel since I refinished yours (you saw the photos), and so it could be the tire bead itself. The shop just keeps trying to seal it the same way over and over again. Maybe I need a new shop with a different approach.

Dean
Old 10-31-2017, 05:16 PM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
Yes, these are Coker Tires Nostalgia model. I considered taking this one off myself and trying to remedy, but I'll spend as much as taking it somewhere else.

It can't be the wheel since I refinished yours (you saw the photos), and so it could be the tire bead itself. The shop just keeps trying to seal it the same way over and over again. Maybe I need a new shop with a different approach.

Dean
I meant why can't you remove tires on/off the front with stock rims. I did it several times with no issues.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
I meant why can't you remove tires on/off the front with stock rims. I did it several times with no issues.
You mean removing the tire off the wheel after breaking the bead? I know there are several methods for breaking the bead, but I'm not comfortable doing any. I'm concerned I'll damage the bead.

Even after that you need bead sealer which is probably the same stuff they use.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
There's a reason the shop manual says to mount and dismount the tires with the outside of the wheel DOWN. If you've been doing it the opposite way and haven't damaged your tires then you're lucky. I've seen many tires ruined doing it that way.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Experienced

I can't say I told the shop how to mount the tires originally last year. But I've seen them in action and they are oblivious to mounting the tires correctly even after I told them outside down. It would interesting to see where liability would be assigned if the tires were damaged.

All I know is one tire refuses to seal on a newly refinished wheel, and the shop just does the same thing-take it off and re-seal with the same stuff-then wait for the result.