64 brake conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 brake conversion

My question two fold.

I want to convert my 64 drums to dics front and back.

what is the skill level needed to do this? (I've never done a conversion) and how hard is it to do?

Or should I have a shop do the work?

Ok so it's three fold

Thanks,
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are kits available to do the front disc conversion so that is certainly a do it yourself job. However adding rear discs is another story. There aren't any over the counter kits that I know of so it will take a lot more technical knowledge and equipment to do it than the average home mechanic has. Since the fronts do most of the braking putting discs on the rears is not going to give you much better performance.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks John

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I agree with everything John said but I want to add this:
        There is a learning curve involved with bending brake line and using an inverted flaring tool.

If you're the type that sets his car on fire while doing an oil change, let a mechanic do this job. It requires patience, some skill and common sense.

The type of brake line you buy makes a huge difference in the quality of tools needed to do a proper job. I suggest using CUNIFER (copper/nickel/iron) brake line for two reasons. It doesn't rust and it bends and flares like butter. The cost is higher but well worth it AND inexpensive (Harbor Freight) flaring tools work just fine.

After making two or three 'test' flares, you should be a pro. I did a video about this... CLICK HERE
        Many of our members have proved, you can do this job. Think ahead and have patience. If you start making mistakes, quit. Come back after taking a break when you're relaxed.

My wife's 2010 Escape came with rear drum brakes. They work just fine.
        Brake kits are 'bolt-on' so they are pretty straight forward. The only 'custom' work required is the brake line and your initial booster adjustments.

Hope this helps. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎