This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

My suggestion is to drop the pan and check the filter. Then do a visual inspection of the tubes that come in and out of the pressure regulator. The tubes are pushed into place. Other than removing and cleaning the pressure regulator and valve body there's not much else you can do with the transmission in the car. I understand your frustration. Here in the states we take for granted the fact that we can usually find someone who knows how to work on an old transmission and do it for a reasonable price.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
...If I cannot make a simple repair myself I will just have to cut my losses and sell the car as a dud. Sad end to ten years of (largely frustrating) ownership.
I've often expressed empathy for restorers abroad. It's ten times harder for them because a Thunderbird is simply another foreign car.

Truth is, only the old guys in the States are good at overhauling our classic transmissions. Modern transmissions with six or more fwd speeds are far more complicated but not rare like the Cruise-O-Matic.

We have heard horror stories about European mechanics working on Thunderbird transmissions. One of our members in Germany sued his restoration company for damages. The restoration company sent the Thunderbird to a transmission shop for an overhaul. They charged for but never did ANY transmission work.

The components in your Thunderbird are designed to take abuse for many years and in many climates. Service in the UK is milk toast by comparison to our dessert and mountain ranges. Your transmission should outlast the engine by far unless it was ran with low hydraulic oil.

I hope you find an old guy with tools and experience to work on your trans. The work isn't hard but there is a learning curve before experience prevails. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-20-2017, 04:33 AM

billy whizz is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your advice John and Dave. If weather allows I will drop the pan this week and see what it reveals. If there is any muck in the bottom of the pan or on the valve body, can you suggest a safe cleaning fluid which I can sruce it up with? I ma concerned I don't leave traces of a 'foreign' substance in when I put it all back together.

Also - forgive the stupid question - but I assumed my car has a cruise-o-matic gearbox, but there is no fluid tube or drain facility on the transmission sump. Someone suggested it might be an FMX transmission instead, which has just left me confused. As the rest of the car seems original to the December 1964 manufacture spec, what transmission should I expect to have?
Old 10-20-2017, 04:53 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The only way I know of to ensure there is no dirt in your trans, is to take it all the way down and clean the components and the case. You need some special tools to do this. Some can be 'home made' but you also need experience to know the disassembly/assembly process.

Most all the Ford transmissions built upon the generation before. Therefore, many of the internals are the same from one rebuild kit to the next.
For reference, check out my Cruise-O-Matic rebuild.. CLICK HERE - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Auto transmission fault - no forward drive.

Geoff, your 1965 Flairbird would have left the factory years ago with a Tranny Code of 4 or a 6. Both being a Cruise-O-Matic, but the 4 would be cast iron and a 6 not. Your Data Plate will tell you what the Tranny Code is. Your Vin # should have a Z in it telling you that it was the non-export version of the 390. If it has a 9 for the engine code, then it was an export, low octane engine... It is possible, unless you know the car since it was built, that a long the way a previous owner replaced the engine and the tranny... Here is the Specifications webpage for your Tbird, followed by the main page link. This will tell you a lot more about your 1965 Flairbird.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...fications.html

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...lections.shtml

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
but I assumed my car has a cruise-o-matic gearbox, but there is no fluid tube or drain facility on the transmission sump. Someone suggested it might be an FMX transmission instead, which has just left me confused. As the rest of the car seems original to the December 1964 manufacture spec, what transmission should I expect to have?
If you don't have the fill tube going into the pan then it sounds like sometime in it's life the transmission was changed, either to an FMX or a C6. There should be a tag on the driver's side of the transmission that tells you what it is. If you drop the pan you should replace the gasket and possibly the filter depending on the type. You will need to know what it is to get the correct parts.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans codes.jpg (265.2 KB, 20 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Auto transmission fault - no forward drive.

Often times that tag on the tranny is removed by mechanics when they work on a tranny.. If there is no tag, try and get the stampings off the case and tell us what they are. Here is a picture of what it looks like and a link that might help.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/tr..._65-72cars.htm
Attached Images
File Type: gif transtag-65-72car.gif (75.8 KB, 19 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411