This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical fuel pump

So i had (almost) always a very long cranking time before the Bird would wake up. The fuel bowls where always empty a day after the engine had been running. No leaks, so the fuel just evaporated that quickly (27% of ethanol in the fuel here).
So i decided to put an electrical fuel pump close to the fuel tank, just to be able to prime the bowls before starting. I went with a Carter vane type pump, with a line around it with a checkvalve for the normal supply to the mechanical fuel pump. The starts are now immediately. The electrical pump is only for priming, but can be used in case the mechanical pump fails.
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The REAL root cause is your mechanical fuel pump. It already has a check valve incorporated into it. All that head pressure of fuel should have been there to immediately deliver at the first rpm, 'bowl fuel' or not.

So, you just added another one. Ok.

My classic sits for months at a time. I installed a check valve just before the pump because mine was not working, either. I got it on eBay for two bucks! Problem solved, now my engine starts BEFORE the first revolution.

Brian Wheeler was here with his wife for the Woodward Dream Cruise. We started the Y-Block several times during the cruise. It's consistently the same story.

Good to know you're happy with your setup. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

If I leave my '66 for more than three weeks between use I have to crank it for 10-15 seconds before fuel fills the carb, I guess the fuel just evaporates?

The rest of the time it cranks right up on the first twist of the key.

AND after sitting for a month or two it will miss/run rough until I put fresh fuel in it and go for a drive out on the highway, **** this modern fuel!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Experienced

I did put the extra check valve just before the mechanical fuel pump, but still the bowls where dry.
I presume that the high percentage of ethanol (27%) has to do with this. Before, if i just started the engine and let it run for some 5 minutes and shut it off, there was no problem at starting the next several days. So it must have something to do with the fuel evaporating due to heat.
Either way, problem is solved.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
I did put the extra check valve just before the mechanical fuel pump, but still the bowls where dry.
I presume that the high percentage of ethanol (27%) has to do with this. Before, if i just started the engine and let it run for some 5 minutes and shut it off, there was no problem at starting the next several days. So it must have something to do with the fuel evaporating due to heat.
Either way, problem is solved.
I used to fight the same issue on both the 58 and the 65. I actually bought an electric pump to wire in like you did, never got around to doing it.

What I find odd, I went to dual Holley carbs on the 58 and now the issue is gone. Either the Edelbrock carb was part of the problem, or the addition of a pressure regulator between the carbs and the pump helped? Both cars were running the Edelbrock carb, can't compare to the 65 though, I sold it
Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Tbird6 is on a distinguished road

Do you make any adjustments so the car will run on 27%?
I don't think a regular gas powered car could handle that high of a percentage?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird6 View Post
Do you make any adjustments so the car will run on 27%?
I don't think a regular gas powered car could handle that high of a percentage?
I bought the Bird already with the Edelbrock 1405 carburator installed, so i don´t know if they had to make any adjustments or change any settings. The engine runs at least quite well on it.