This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:04 AM
Apprentice

Infinite Monkeys is on a distinguished road
Default My dual diaphragm booster and dual master cylinder install

Here's my brake booster and dual piston MC install.
I used this from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-2123nb-1

I ran all new Nickel/copper alloy hard line, front and back. Highly recommended, it bends and flairs very easily and will never rust.
I reused the old distribution block for the front and bought another one for the back. I put in a new pressure switch in the back line distribution block for the brake lights.

Mounting the combo could be a lot cleaner if you take the time to make brackets that look better. I got this idea from a picture I found on the net. They had used two pieces of square tubing to space the booster out, this does look cleaner. I used 4 short pieces to make it a little easier. Spacing out the booster is necessary because the booster push rod and the tube nut length is too long.

I cut the old push rod and welded it to a tube nut that fits on the new master cylinder and cut the old brackets off the old booster and mounted the new booster on them. Tube nut thread size is 3/8 X 24 for this application.

The 8" booster clears the shifter arm by about an inch. Everything else is factory.

Total cost was about $200.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05017 (500x375).jpg (143.5 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Infinite Monkeys : 08-28-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default My dual diaphragm booster & dual master cylinder install

Hi Iffy! I see you figured out pic posting! Congratulations! What I do not see is a combination valve installed in your dual MC/Dual Booster system. It has always been my understanding that you need one in that installation. In fact, if you put one in and do the wiring off it, you can keep that Gen light working.. But that might only apply if you also have front disc brakes. Do you? I also see that either the original color of your Tbird was not Raven Black but Red. Or sometime in the past, had been painted red... Here are a couple of pix showing the combination valve, and my installation with front disc brakes. That Chrome set up only cost me $25 more over the normal version! My air cleaner, valve covers, VR, oil cap, are all chromed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrakeLineSetupOnComboValve.jpg (46.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg My59DualMC-8inchPowerBoosterSetup2.jpg (80.6 KB, 112 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-28-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hi Iffy! I see you figured out pic posting! Congratulations! What I do not see is a combination valve installed in your dual MC/Dual Booster system. It has always been my understanding that you need one in that installation. In fact, if you put one in and do the wiring off it, you can keep that Gen light working.. I am sure Dave or John will probably comment on this also. I also see that either the original color of your Tbird was not Raven Black but Red. Or sometime in the past, had been painted red...
Hi Ray,
You are correct, I do not have a combination valve, it wasn't necessary for a drum/drum setup. My gen light is still functional.
I had to put in a combination valve for a hydro-boost system I did for my '71 Bronco, but that is a disk/drum. Disks need a residual valve that wasn't in the MC, plus it allows you to adjust bias between front and back.

I'm not sure what that color is, but I like it. Kind of an orange?
Old 08-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Apprentice

Sorry,
I got combination valve and proportioning valve mixed up. The one I used is a combination of both. I think they are necessary if you have disk brakes or a disk/drum combo.
My brakes work without the valve.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default My dual diaphragm booster and dual master cylinder install

If that was the original OEM red color, it would have been Monte Carlo Red on a 1960 Tbird... Unless someone painted it another color from another year. I see your set up is a drum/drum and that you do have your Gen light still working, which is good.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Experienced

Buckaroo is on a distinguished road

Could a person use this to replace the under dash unit on a 58?
Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
...My brakes work without the valve.
Herein lies a big problem.

You have a modern M/C with two pistons on a common shaft.

IF both front and rear systems require exactly the same amount of brake fluid, your brakes will seemingly work just fine. But, what happens when one system (usually the front) wears down more than the other system? The one worn down more will require more fluid and the brakes will only advance as far as the system that stops first.

I hope you understand, as long as all your brake shoes are always adjusted to the drums your system will seem to work ok.

A combination proportioning valve COMBINES both systems by a common piston between them. The fluids never mix but mechanically, they are tied together. If one system's shoes hit the drums first, the piston moves toward the side that has lower pressure. This equalizes both system pressures while the flow is at liberty to be different. If the disparity becomes excessive, the valve turns on a switch, which indicates a brake problem.

The combination proportioning valve for drum/drum (or disk/disk) is the same valve as disk/drum except the pressure reducing portion is gutted.

If you use self-adjusters on your brakes there is no reason for a residual valve. I personally don't like residual valves because they can cause the wheel cylinder pistons to extend so much, they pop out of their bores. This was common on Tempo cars.

I suggest you invest in a combination proportioning valve because believe me, you need it. That's why ALL cars come from the factory with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Could a person use this to replace the under dash unit on a 58?
Yes, but you need a firewall bracket that extends the new booster up five inches and out (from the firewall) five inches. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Apprentice

Dave,

Thanks for that extremely informative post. I am looking for the right valve right now and will plumb it in before I drive the car again.

Not taking any chances with the braking system.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:42 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I suggest this PV4 valve: CLICK HERE Call their number to make sure this valve is also used for drum/drum applications.

I like it because the mounting holes are part of the casting. 1/4"-20 bolts fit. Most of us mount the valve on the fender apron, then plumb to it. The M/C brackets use space under the M/C, making it harder to change spark plugs. If you mount to the fender apron, the valve is out of the way but still very accessible.

Here's an internal view...
Attached Images
File Type: png ComboGMa.png (147.9 KB, 97 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I suggest this PV4 valve: CLICK HERE Call their number to make sure this valve is also used for drum/drum applications.

I like it because the mounting holes are part of the casting. 1/4"-20 bolts fit. Most of us mount the valve on the fender apron, then plumb to it. The M/C brackets use space under the M/C, making it harder to change spark plugs. If you mount to the fender apron, the valve is out of the way but still very accessible.

Here's an internal view...
So can someone with Drum/Drum use disk / disk?
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm