This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Experienced

tbirdmike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering wheel cam replacement

Hey everyone, I need to replace my turn signal cam, I have the cruise control steering wheel, is this an easy process, I know the are some wires that go to the cruise control switches, is there anything I need to know to not mess this up? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Apprentice

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdmike63 View Post
Hey everyone, I need to replace my turn signal cam, I have the cruise control steering wheel, is this an easy process, I know the are some wires that go to the cruise control switches, is there anything I need to know to not mess this up? Thanks!
If I may ask , does it cancel on left turns but not right turns , Then the most likely problem is the sleeve that goes around the upper steering shaft bearing . they have a habit of breaking down over time and will allow the steering shaft to drop a bit . If you can take the steering wheel and notice vertical play, that is most likely the problem . The wheel has to come off, the turn signal switch has to lifted up over the shaft and then the bearing lifted off and a new sleeve put around the bearing . Hope this helps .
Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Experienced

Actually, it's when I make right turns.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Experienced

Oops, yes it cancels on left turns not on right, can I check it by pulling up on the steering wheel while turning right and see if it cancels?
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Oops, yes it cancels on left turns not on right, can I check it by pulling up on the steering wheel while turning right and see if it cancels?
Sure , Just try to hold it upward while bringing the wheel back. If it then cancels, it is the bearing sleeve. If no different it could be the switch arm upper section broken off . That means a new switch .
Old 08-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Experienced

Should I replace the bearing while I'm in there? Is this basically an easy job to do?
Old 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Should I replace the bearing while I'm in there? Is this basically an easy job to do?
A bit tricky getting the bearing off of the shaft spline . Also a snap ring in front of it. I never replace the bearing, just clean it and re-grease it considering the number of revolutions it makes it should never wear out . (be sure to keep the bearing seal on the bottom .) Once the shaft is clear of wheel, signal switch, you have to lift the shaft enough to get the bearing out of the pocket, slide something under it and tap down on the shaft to free the bearing . Have done many this way.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Experienced

I will give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Experienced

I heard on this forum that you must remove the steering shaft to get the bearing off, do you think it will be necessary? Or can I leave the bearing on since I probably won't be replacing it.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Experienced

Oh, I see, in your description you mention removing the steering shaft. Thanks