This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default Neutral safety switch

My neutral safety switch is not working properly and I found one of the contacts partly loose. Maybe that some glue or silicone could keep it in place, but I was looking for a new switch. I found one on e-bay for USD 60. Is that a good price?
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 07-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I can't tell the condition of your switch, but looking at pictures of the switch, the terminals are riveted to the switch. If one of the contacts is just loose, I would back up the rivet head and tap the opposite side of the rivet to tighten it. It would be worth a try. A blunt center punch could be used to try and tighten the rivet.
Nyles
Old 07-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Neutral safety switch

Frank, if you can't fix it, check out the Bird Nest. They have it for $44.95. Maybe some of the other Tbird parts house in the Advertisements Forum might beat that price. If you don't mind a good used one, send Carl Heller ~ partsetal a Private Message. Carl ships Squarebirds parts all over the world.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

When buying a neutral switch for your Squarebird, know that some cars had no reverse light but others did.

Get a switch with four terminals (wires), whether your car has reverse lights or not.

C0SF 7A217-A or the earlier number: B8S 7A217-A

- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Experienced

Thanks all for the help. I don´t remember if I had this problem from the beginning, but when I have my lights on and I put the transmission lever to D1, the starter motor is momentarily activated. On a running engine that gives a nice clunk and can´t be good for the teeth on the flywheel.
If I adjust the switch a bit, I won´t have backup lights. I will see if I can fasten the contact. If that fails, I will buy another switch.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:04 AM
Super-Experienced

The safety neutral switch is a complete disconnect between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid unless you are in "Neutral" or "Park". If the car starter activates in D1, either the switch is out of adjustment or the shift linkage is sloppy and loose which can cause this issue. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.
Nyles
Old 07-31-2017, 04:24 AM
Experienced

With the lights on, power from the back-up lights is going to the starter solenoid via the contacts in the Neutral switch, while moving the shift lever. The contacts on the shifter shaft look ok, so the problem must be with the Neutral switch contact.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:33 PM
Super-Experienced

It sounds like one of the contacts on the switch is loose enough that it rotated and is making an electrical connection to one of the other contacts. If you can align the contacts like in the picture and tighten the rivet so it will stay in place, you should be fine. If not, time for a new switch.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neutral switch.JPG (14.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
With the lights on, power from the back-up lights is going to the starter solenoid via the contacts in the Neutral switch, while moving the shift lever. The contacts on the shifter shaft look ok, so the problem must be with the Neutral switch contact.
NO! (Nyles may be right).

Starter Solenoid power BEGINS at the key switch ('S' terminal), and only when the key is turned to the far right.

If your starter solenoid energizes without the key switch turned, you must have a short circuit. Power is coming from somewhere. Crack out the meter or test light and trace power at the neutral switch (red/blue wires). Again, there should be no power on either wire until the key is turned.

This circuit is VERY simple because it is ONE wire. It goes from the key switch, through the neutral switch, passes through a plug/receptacle and ends at the starter solenoid. It shouldn't go anywhere else. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
NO! (Nyles may be right).

Starter Solenoid power BEGINS at the key switch ('S' terminal), and only when the key is turned to the far right.

If your starter solenoid energizes without the key switch turned, you must have a short circuit. Power is coming from somewhere. Crack out the meter or test light and trace power at the neutral switch (red/blue wires). Again, there should be no power on either wire until the key is turned.

This circuit is VERY simple because it is ONE wire. It goes from the key switch, through the neutral switch, passes through a plug/receptacle and ends at the starter solenoid. It shouldn't go anywhere else. - Dave
With all due respect Dave, but the starter only engages for a split second when the lights are on and the shifter is moved to D. No lights, no problem. With the lights on, power is waiting at the Neutral switch to go to the back-up lights, as soon as the shifter is in Reverse. This power must be the reason for the starter to engage. I will remove the Neutral switch and try to find out how this can happen.