This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:46 AM
Apprentice

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Yes. Do let us know.

My reasons are selfish, being that there is a spare stock intake manifold laying around that is for our '70 truck FE. The mounting base is kinda flat.

Back when we had the squarebird, the autolite 4100 was easy to rebuild so we did that.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 AM

A390GT is on a distinguished road

Just started the install
probably not going to get it running until after I get back from finding the eclipse with the family next week.

But i took an hour off from cleaning the camper Sunday and got the 4100 off and the summit in place.

The carb fits good. Drops right in place.
What I ran into...

1 choke. I was able to change out the electric choke with a heat riser choke I had from an old Holley. Don't need to do it but I like that it looks kinda stock.

2 fuel line I put on the summit dual fuel inlet on, but I'm going to have to bend a new line with a 90*. Just after the dual fuel is the heater core hose on the front of the intake. There is just enough room to make the bend out to the center of the intake where I can follow the original line down.

3 linkage. The stock linkage goes in but the locking clip won't work on the summit. I'll probably just drill it and pin it if I can't find a clip that will work

4. Air cleaner bolt. I think I'm going to steal the center air cleaner bolt from the 4100. The summit is a two piece that I'm not to confident in.

In a week or so we'll see how she runs
John-
Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by A390GT View Post
Anyone here using summit racings Carburetor, Summit M2008, 600 cfm.
Looking to replace the autolite carb on my stock 60 352 with auto no air

Also do I need a 600cfm or can I go with the 500cfm
Thanks,
John
Hi John

The P.O. of my car used a 465 CFM carb as a replacement so they could keep the hot air tube choke feature. Long story short I am so under carbureted that it starves on the freeway.

You can detune a bigger carb, but the only thing you do when under carbed is replace it. Go big or go home!
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 PM

A390GT is on a distinguished road

I'm putting the 600 cfm on it. Probably a tad to big, but we will see how she runs and go from there.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by A390GT View Post
I'm putting the 600 cfm on it. Probably a tad to big, but we will see how she runs and go from there.
The 4100 carburetor is 600 cfm so it's the same.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

[quote=sidewalkman] Long story short I am so under carbureted that it starves on the freeway.

On the freeway at what throttle angle?

Under normal cruise (65-75 M.P.H.) one generally has the throttle butterflies within the carburetor at a relatively low angle (relative to the wide open) therefore "throttling" the engine to reduce engine power output. So, unless you require wide-open-throttle (W.O.T.) to achieve or maintain these reasonable speeds you are "throttling" or shall we say reducing the capacity of the carburetor as witnessed by the engine.

Perhaps other tuning issues vs. too small of a carburetor?

Scott.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
Hi John

The P.O. of my car used a 465 CFM carb as a replacement so they could keep the hot air tube choke feature. Long story short I am so under carbureted that it starves on the freeway.

You can detune a bigger carb, but the only thing you do when under carbed is replace it. Go big or go home!
465cfm should give you good response off the line and would be fine for freeway cruising.
It would only show its lack of size on a top end charge i.e. when going for top speed, it shouldn't 'starve' when cruising on the freeway.

And you might find it a bit of an issue getting an 850cfm 'detuned ' enough for happy all-round driving!