This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Zerkfitting is on a distinguished road
Default Wheel Covers

Has anyone replaced the standard wheel covers with something else? I'm wondering how aftermarket wire wheel covers work on a '65.

Are the Ford steel wheels the same as some other manufacturers?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Apprentice

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerkfitting View Post
Has anyone replaced the standard wheel covers with something else? I'm wondering how aftermarket wire wheel covers work on a '65.

Are the Ford steel wheels the same as some other manufacturers?
Years ago I had the wire wheel covers from a '77 '78 '79 T'bird on my '66 with no problem . '66 wheels are the same as yours if stock as are '67's . The skirts may be a problem clearing . If interested, I have a set of those covers still in the wrappers . NOS .
Old 06-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

What size covers do the Flairbirds wear? 14's?

Here are some wire covers I made from a set of 14 inch GM covers and Bulletbird center spinners (the Squarebird OEM wheel is 14 inch).

Original GM

Modified

On my Squarebird

Still trying to decide if I like them or not. Was going for the Kelsey Hayes wire wheel look without all the trouble of running tubes etc. I think they would look a little better if I blacked out 1/2 of the outer edge of the cover.

Eric
Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

64-66 Flairbirds are 15" wheels.

I always wanted a real set of wire wheels and now that Coker has them at a reasonable price bought a set. Yes they have tubes and are a pain to clean but this car is my babydoll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170620_214334823.jpg (282.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:21 PM

Those are nice. I'm also considering something less expensive, I saw a finned '67 Thunderbird wheel cover that might look good on a '65.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 PM

How did you modify a 14" GM wheel cover to fit a 15 inch Ford wheel cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
What size covers do the Flairbirds wear? 14's?

Here are some wire covers I made from a set of 14 inch GM covers and Bulletbird center spinners (the Squarebird OEM wheel is 14 inch).

Original GM

Modified

On my Squarebird

Still trying to decide if I like them or not. Was going for the Kelsey Hayes wire wheel look without all the trouble of running tubes etc. I think they would look a little better if I blacked out 1/2 of the outer edge of the cover.

Eric
Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 AM

billy whizz is on a distinguished road

I have wheel covers from a 1968 Thunderbird on mine. I like them as they make a subtle difference that does not look "incorrect" on my 65 Landau and marks it out as 'my' car.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Ooops - sorry Scott - just saw your question..

The Squarebird has 14 inch wheels and the GM cover is 14 inch so I was good to go. Just had to modify the center cap to accept the Bulletbird style spinner. I was not aware that the Flairbirds had 15 inch wheels. Oh well - live and learn.

I wanted to stick with a Ford hubcap but Ford just didn't make anything similar. Ford has a few with different spoke designs but don't look like wire wheels IMHO so wound up with the GM cap.

If you plan on using something other than Ford caps I would suggest buying just one to try it rather than getting the whole set and finding out they don't work. Maybe get a "not so nice" one form one of the auction sites and see if it fits - then use it as a spare.

Eric
Old 07-13-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
I have wheel covers from a 1968 Thunderbird on mine. I like them as they make a subtle difference that does not look "incorrect" on my 65 Landau and marks it out as 'my' car.
I downloaded a picture of '69 wheel covers and pasted it on a picture of my 65 hardtop. I liked the look so I ordered a set from Hubcaps.com ($100). The paint on centers of all of them are worn but I'll either repaint them the original silver or color key them to the car (turquoise). Two of them have small dents. The wheel covers I got don't match the picture (no emblem in the center and fewer fins) but they are similar. It seems there a lot of different wheel covers for the 67-69 Thunderbirds. (I think I wanted the 68 version and got 69s).