This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Friendships On Squarebirds.org!

Over the last number of years, there have been some great friendships that have developed between our members in this country, and others across the pond, or on the same continent with each other. For the last week or two, Mr. & Mrs. Yellowbird ~ Leonard & Debbie have been off visiting Mr. & Mrs. scumdog ~ Tom & Christine down in the Land Of The Long White Cloud, New Zealand again! Over the last few years they have traveled back and forth visiting each other and building a great bond of friendship by doing so. After arriving there, Leonard sent me a picture of him with Tom & Christine's '66 Flairbird telling me they had arrived. Then Tom sent me this, telling me that Leonard & Debbie had arrived safely back home again.

"Hi Ray, My wife Christine and I carried on after dropping the Wheelers off yesterday and today we are at Waitangi (pronounced Why tang ee) and thought this shot would look good on Squarebirds. The ship in the photo is a massive cruise ship that is dropping off 100s of tourists wanting to visit the area. Regards, Tom"

Here are two pix, one of Leonard supporting Tom's Flairbird, and one taken by Tom while on their vacation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scumdogs66Flairbird.jpg (51.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Tom-scumdogsFlairbird.JPG (97.7 KB, 86 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks!

Thanks for posting those photos Ray!
Actually in the top photo its me leaning against the Flairbird - probably checking the Squarebird site on my phone!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 PM

LOL, I thought it was Leonard. That was the impression I wrongly got from his email! Thanks for clearing that up!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Super-Experienced

For those that care (as well as for those that don't!) Christine and I are still cruising the North Island in our Flairbird, on Saturday we're off to see the Dixie Chicks at Napier.

Then sadly it's a thousand mile drive back home, oh, I've been doing an economy check on the Thunderbird and my gas mileage is up around 17+mpg (Imperial gallons!) so if it stays like that I'll be a happy man!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

my gas mileage is up around 17+mpg (Imperial gallons!) so if it stays like that I'll be a happy man!

Tom 17+ mpg is excellent on these old gals. Are you running a Carter and if so what cfm?
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 04-09-2017, 01:52 AM

Tom ~ scumdog & Christine are still on the road in New Zealand! Here is what Tom had to say and a couple of pix.

Hi Ray, Christine and I are slowly making our way home after over three weeks on the road! The first photograph is of Christine and our Flairbird on the way to Wangaroa (pronounced won ga ro a) it is a small area where guys head off to fish for marlin, broad bills and tuna. The second pic is outside the Wangaroa pub. A few minutes after the pic was taken a large branch fell free from that palm tree and narrowly missed our Thunderbird! Needless to say I moved the Thunderbird real quick! Regards, Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1498.JPG (114.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1501.JPG (99.8 KB, 74 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-09-2017, 03:47 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Leavens View Post
my gas mileage is up around 17+mpg (Imperial gallons!) so if it stays like that I'll be a happy man!

Tom 17+ mpg is excellent on these old gals. Are you running a Carter and if so what cfm?
Nope, not a Carter, just a fully rebuilt 4100! - the same carb that the car left Wixom with in 1966.

I decided to get it fully rebuilt after reading about Edelbrocks, Holleys etc and I'm glad I did, the motor runs smoothly, the acceleration is great and well you know about the gas mileage!

The rebuild was done in Texas but as I'm the road I don't have the rebuilders details.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Experienced

Yellowbird is on a distinguished road

Dano,
The rebuilder of Tom's 4100 is Dynamic Industries in Ft. Worth TX. He has done a lot of work for my friends and have never had a complaint.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Leonard thanks and I will keep info on Dynamic in my file.
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 04-10-2017, 03:58 AM

Default Almost Home Tom Sez!

Tom ~ scumdog and Christine are on the last leg of their nearly 3,000 mile trip in their Flairbird, approaching home. Here is what he had to say, along with some pix he took today.

"Hi Ray, Well almost 3000 miles added to the Thunderbird and all going well we will be home tomorrow. Tonight we are staying in a motel in Springfield - and not a Simpson in sight!!
We crossed the Southern Alps earlier, some mighty steep grades there, the 390 was working hard! I though I'd share these three photos, one of the pics shows my perspective when driving a left steer car on the left side of the road, the other photos show some of the Alps with the start of the fall colours appearing on the trees. I'll send a bit of information about how the Thunderbird went once I have got back home in Balclutha, about 475 miles away. Regards, Tom."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1625.JPG (51.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1621.JPG (85.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1629.JPG (54.9 KB, 60 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"