This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

So I pulled both axle shafts today. No puller needed or even the wheel trick, I could take them out by just pulling with two hands. Some China made bearings are on there now. Both bearings rotate freely and only on the left hand side I could feel a very little bit of play. But I wonder if the external dimensions of these bearings are exactly as should be, since I suppose that removing with little hand force doesn´t seem to be the right way. No signs of them rotating inside the axle tubes though.
On both sides, the area where the oil seal is touching, the axle is not smooth. On the left hand side there are some small imperfections, which maybe with some polishing can be removed. On the right hand side however, some backyard mechanic probably put some grinder on there during the removal of the bearing lock ring and touched the axle. The area is not perfectly round and I doubt that this can be restored with polishing.
@ Yadkin, do they sell the repair sleeves somewhere, or where they made by the repair shop? To remove the bearing, this sleeve has to come of again I believe?
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post

@ Yadkin, do they sell the repair sleeves somewhere, or where they made by the repair shop? To remove the bearing, this sleeve has to come of again I believe?
The machine shop I used ordered them for me. As I recall they did so based on the shaft dimensions, not make and model. They are specialty parts that any decent axle repair shop should have access to.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Experienced

I found repair sleeves called "SKF Speedy sleeves". Someone used these?
Still trying to find a shop here locally which does axle repairs, but so far no results.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to a couple of articles on how we do the same procedure on the MG's.

I'm not familiar with SKF brand but would guess they are as good as any.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/rearaxle/ra101.htm

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/rearaxle/hub_13.htm

Eric
Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
I found repair sleeves called "SKF Speedy sleeves". Someone used these?
Still trying to find a shop here locally which does axle repairs, but so far no results.
Find a reputable shop. The axles can't be heated because they will lose strength. As I recall the procedure was to cold-machine a spot on the axle using a lathe, then cool it down (probably with dry ice), heat up the sleeve and then put it on.

Last edited by Yadkin : 06-16-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 06-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

SKF offers, Spedi-Sleeve in a range of sizes from under 1/2" through 8".

No heat or machining is necessary and no heat/cold therapy is used at all. These sleeves are made of thin metal and they come with a driver. Thin metal will expand when driven onto a larger diameter thus creating a perfect interference fit and a smooth surface for your seal.

If you prefer a machine shop to install, ok but this system isn't very technical aside from supplying an accurate shaft measurement.

CLICK HERE

Sleeves are commonly used on crankshafts for the timing cover seal. Many of our vendors carry that seal sleeve. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Check that first link about installing the sleeve on an MG axle - same thing and great instructions (with pictures !).

Also - the good news is a new larger seal should not be needed.

"As the new sleeve is just 0.010" thick, it will work nicely with the standard hub seal."

I've been really lucky with all my axle work so far and haven't needed a sleeve.

Eric
Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

Back before these commercially available repair sleeves were available, for the 9" Ford axle one would acquire the seal adapter sleeve installed (pressed) on the 31 spline application axles and use the seal for the 31 spline axles vs. the 28 spline seal. All done, all Ford.

Yes I know, some more "back-in-the-day" obsolete information. But hey, back when you figured it out it was useful; today, it's only maybe, a good story, if someone cares.

Scott.

P.S. If someone has cut, hacked, wacked, ground, chiseled, torched, welded, or some other ham-fisted D.A. execution ----THROW THE AXLES AWAY!----!!!! (actually, they make good tent stakes, driven into the ground, big flange, can't miss with the sledge hammer) Axle failure (the wheel flies off!), particularly at speed, is no fun.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 AM
Experienced

I see that Rockauto sells the Redi- Sleeves from National and some SKF Speedi-Sleeves as well. I will measure tomorrow the axles and see if they have the right size available.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Experienced

I just had a look at the ring gear this morning and see quite some pitting on both sides of the contact surfaces. That could explain the humming noise which comes from the diff at higher speeds. I didn´t see any metal glinsters in the fluid, but it looks somewhat darker then when I had put it in around 1000 miles ago. The pinion looks still ok as far as I can see, but both should be changed as a set I believe. Rockauto has them from Dorman and Dana. Probably Dana will be the best way to go? Best would be to change all the bearings then as well. They also sell a complete bearing and seal kit, which also has the crush sleeve and adjusting shims for the pinion and some marking material to check the gear engagement. I didn´t check the spider gears yet, I hope that at least they are ok.
Since I just bought some material from Carl, all this diff work must wait a bit until fundings allow.