This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
DOT-3 brake fluid isn't fuel. It's glycol-based and washes off with plain water. Regular pipe tape works well. Been doin' it forever because for some odd reason, I have about ten rolls. The stuff is amazing. I watched a Pipefitter make a gland for a valve using the tape. He rolled off a bunch then twisted it into a rope. Worked great and it got me thinking... - Dave
I use fuel resistant because it is a 'one size fits all' solution on my garage shelf, and makes a neater finished assembly than tape.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Default update on disc brake conversion

Greetings All ~
Wanted to share an update and see if anyone else has had a similar problem. My conversion is a year or so old - mustang rotors, s10 calipers and related recommended fittings. I have had the right front brake hose come loose at the caliper twice, but I believe it was due in both cases to the right front taking a huge dip when driving on uneven terrain. Last night the cruise was on grass (yea!) but also a lot uneven in spots. Whilst navigating to a shady spot the right front took a dip. Upon leaving the brake pedal was giving me the old soft shoe. Had to get AAA flat bed home because of course I had no tools with me. Last summer, in a rather sorry parking lot while turning and backing up the right front dipped into a huge pothole. I was luckily able to make it home thanks to that dual m/c!

The hose set I used was from Rock Auto Bendix 36646. What's the best way to get a replacement hose that's a little longer?

Thanks as always!
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 07-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
...My conversion is a year or so old - mustang rotors, s10 calipers and related recommended fittings. I have had the right front brake hose come loose at the caliper twice...
...The hose set I used was from Rock Auto Bendix 36646. What's the best way to get a replacement hose that's a little longer?..
I'm a bit confused. Rock auto doesn't sell a Bendix #36646 but they do sell Raybestos BH36646. It is 15-1/3" long, which should be plenty long enough to fit either 4WD or 2WD S-10 calipers on your Squarebird.

These hoses are fastened with banjo bolts that are NEVER supposed to come loose. (I assume you used copper washers with the banjo bolts.) Those are the exact hoses I am using with my S-10 conversion. I've never had an issue. You are the first that I have heard, that had a problem with hoses.

So this begs the question, why is only one side coming loose? Both sides use the same length hose and both sides mount in the identical fashion. Something is really wrong. Can you take pictures of both sides so I can see? We WILL get to the bottom of this. - Dave

I just thought of this: Are your banjo bolts the correct length? next, I would examine thread integrity on both the caliper and banjo bolt. This 'fit' should withstand and maintain a healthy tightening. This may be why your hose is coming loose.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 07-07-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Just for the record, what might the torque spec be for a banjo bolt with fresh copper washers, installed into a steel caliper?
Old 07-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Default good question

Hi John, if that question is for me, I haven't a clue what the torque spec would be. You? I got that sucker as tight as my 67 yr old sphincter would allow.
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

it was a general question . . .for anyone. If the caliper came apart due to the banjo bolt coming out, then it seems like we ought to know what the torque spec is.

I confess to not knowing . . .

john
Old 07-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I'm a bit confused. Rock auto doesn't sell a Bendix #36646 but they do sell Raybestos BH36646. It is 15-1/3" long, which should be plenty long enough to fit either 4WD or 2WD S-10 calipers on your Squarebird.

These hoses are fastened with banjo bolts that are NEVER supposed to come loose. (I assume you used copper washers with the banjo bolts.) Those are the exact hoses I am using with my S-10 conversion. I've never had an issue. You are the first that I have heard, that had a problem with hoses.

So this begs the question, why is only one side coming loose? Both sides use the same length hose and both sides mount in the identical fashion. Something is really wrong. Can you take pictures of both sides so I can see? We WILL get to the bottom of this. - Dave

I just thought of this: Are your banjo bolts the correct length? next, I would examine thread integrity on both the caliper and banjo bolt. This 'fit' should withstand and maintain a healthy tightening. This may be why your hose is coming loose.

Hi Dave - Happy Summer! Yes my mistake you are correct the part number is Raybestos not Bendix. All due respect, I don't think there is something "really wrong". I've put nearly 2000 miles on her since the conversion including at least one serious panic stop which would not have been possible with drum brakes. It is happening to one side just by chance, I think.

I did notice what looked like an abrasion on the hose when I was tightening things up this morning. The next time it happens I'll take a some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontHoses.jpg (218.3 KB, 107 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 07-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Default photos of brake hose dilemma

Thanks to Dave Dare's phone call, here are some photos of my brake hoses. My right side hose hose has pulled loose of the caliper twice. Has not happened on the left side. I believe (?) they are attached correctly at the caliper, but there is an obvious rub spot on the left-side lower arm, caused by left hand turn.

Dave - you mentioned maybe I need to "coax" the hose away from the offending chassis parts by adjusting at the spring clip connection. Do you see anything else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right_1.JPG (124.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Right_2.JPG (128.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Right_3.JPG (110.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Left_1.JPG (114.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Left_2.JPG (97.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Left_3.JPG (112.9 KB, 81 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 07-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I don't see anything with the right side that would cause the hose to come loose. I think I would just try a new banjo bolt. I agree with Dave regarding the left side. Pull the clip and see if you can move the hose slightly without putting too much stress on the metal line. You may have to loosen the fitting if it doesn't want to turn.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
...Dave - you mentioned maybe I need to "coax" the hose away from the offending chassis parts by adjusting at the spring clip connection. Do you see anything else?
I do! Now that I see the frame clip, it looks good. Your calipers look good and your rotors look excellent.

I want to address the wheel you are NOT having issues with first, namely the LH (driver's) side.

This looks like your wheel is hanging (suspended) and the hose site has dropped below the frame's spring pocket.
In the center of the picture is a 'white triangle'. Is that a rub mark?

There it is again, the smooth portion on your frame, just above the hose.

It makes sense to me that, if one side has interference so should the other side. That 'rub' is probably the culprit. How do we fix it...

I think the calipers have hose-mounting holes surrounded by iron. In other words, the hose sits in a pocket in the caliper. I would like to see the hose turned (toward the rear wheels) just a little bit. Ok, how much is 'a little bit'... If turning the hose is blocked by a tab or corner of iron, I would grind off the corner to allow the hose to swivel down and away from the frame. Since the caliper is on an angle, I will call this direction, 'toward the rear'.

As you pointed out, you certainly have enough hose length. Now we need to 'train' it out of the way of the frame. It looks to me like, the hose interferes when the wheel is forced UP (not down as I thought). In every case, the hose should never rub on anything and it should last a good ten years or more. So, on both calipers, turn the hose.

On the RH side, turning the hose should make it clear your spring. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 07-15-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Straighten attached pictures.