This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:21 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Smile Del's Disc Brake Conversion

Day 1 -
Cleaned up garage work space
Removed old booster, M/C and firewall bracket from car as one unit
Drill, grind and pound out rivets to separate bracket from old booster
Disassemble and paint bracket
Measure and drill 3/8" holes in 2" square channel for booster side and do preliminary fit
Re-Assemble bracket
Order new firewall grommet for hockey stick "Power Brake Booster Pushrod Seal"
So far, so good...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReadyToStart.JPG (104.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg OnTheBench.JPG (101.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Grinding.JPG (102.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg BracketDisassemb.JPG (90.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg BoosterSide.JPG (97.0 KB, 102 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-08-2017, 03:33 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Lookin' good, Don and I love your pictures. Now, screw your new clevis pin on the new booster and attach it to your top pin in the firewall bracket to find the proper centers for your bracket-to-spacers holes. The booster's input rod should end up in the center of travel.

So, the new booster centers on the top pin but the pedal rod (hockey stick) centers on the middle pin. This raises the booster and pushes it away from the firewall.

To me, firewall work is probably the most 'technical' part of this job. Yes, you need to lay out channels and drill holes, mount everything, etc. The 'tricky' part is in your setup.

Most restorers deal with master cylinders that are 'wet', meaning they have already been previously bled. 'Bench Bleeding' is not known by those mechanics. Also, the car came with a master and booster, already adjusted to each other. Bench bleeding will save a lot of brake fluid if done on your bench vise. It can be done on the car but I don't suggest it. There are a couple methods shown on YouTube. I use the method that requires 'return tubes' to the reservoirs like this one: CLICK HERE. I use old lines that I cut about 8" long to bench bleed.

The video is quick to say how damaging brake fluid is but they never mention that DOT-3 easily washes away with plain water because it is glycol-based (like your antifreeze). So if brake fluid spills, simply rinse it off.

Boosters & masters that have never been married, must be adjusted per the Shop Manual. I find, every master is a little different and so is the booster. That's why the adjustment 'jack screw' is the booster's output screw.

Your job is coming along nicely and I'm glad you didn't slit your square channels. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Question where do these springs go?

Day 2
I'm pretty sure that these springs go on the clevis pin that connects to the hockey stick / push rod, but of course my pictures don't tell me and I don't see them shown in the shop manual. Do they get squeezed in on either side of the push rod in the lever? Should there also be two on the top clevis pin? I have only one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clevis pin springs.JPG (87.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Booster back in.JPG (78.4 KB, 86 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Slow Typist

Boy, does your setup look sweet...
Del, my pictures don't show 'spring washers' either but if you have room, they could take up any 'slop' that might produce vibration noise. Just make sure you have room, otherwise leave them out. Your pictures of the original setup do not show washers. Also, there is 'some' rust on the original brackets. Those washers are clean.

Could they go to your pedal screw? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Oh boy - another disc conversion !!!!!

(not trying to be sarcastic although it kinda sounds that way - going to be interesting I'm sure)

Always fun to see what parts are used and the progress - thanks for the pics Del.

As for the spring washers mine are on either side of the hockey stick.

Eric
Old 05-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

They're clean because I cleaned them ;-)
I took alot of tugging to get that lower cotter pin out yesterday, and now that I think about it, those springs were probably pushing out and causing extra sideways pressure on that cotter pin. Once the cotter pin was out and compression released I could see one of the springs still on the clevis pin. The second one had fallen to the floor under the car when the cotter pin released but I never saw it until today...

Moving next to bench bleeding the MC. Regarding that slug for the MC, it goes in flat side first so the concave side is towards the booster, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Boy, does your setup look sweet...
Del, my pictures don't show 'spring washers' either but if you have room, they could take up any 'slop' that might produce vibration noise. Just make sure you have room, otherwise leave them out. Your pictures of the original setup do not show washers. Also, there is 'some' rust on the original brackets. Those washers are clean.

Could they go to your pedal screw? - Dave
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
...Regarding that slug for the MC, it goes in flat side first so the concave side is towards the booster, correct?
Correct. Think of it as being a 'centering hole' for a manual brake pedal rod. In fact, they leave the puck out if you have manual brakes because OEM masters had a deep hole.

Most masters have a snap ring holding that puck in place. I don't know why the Corvette-style does not.

For bench bleeding, I use a #3 Phillips driver in that hole with the M/C in my vise. Then I put the screwdriver on my belt buckle and rock. It's a lot easier than doing it by hand. Expect about 20 pumps. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM

cervantes1m is on a distinguished road

thank you for posting pics ...It looks great
Old 05-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Experienced

Randy is on a distinguished road

[IMG]DSC02131 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]
.................................................. ...........................
I remember Spring on clevis pin, not the best pic. and late to the show 20160411_142515 by Randy harsha, on Flickr ..........................................
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=60747
!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!
Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Experienced

Randy is on a distinguished road

Hey Del. I cant help but smile at your work its seem just the other day, We (Dave and I) did booster Its was fun learning how to dos ! the satisfaction i got made up for the pain . not to mention learn how to do a hole bunch of outhers stuff met talk to some good old Squares too.you can only see one spring but thers two, it was squshed [IMG]20160304_111622 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=60747
!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Last edited by Randy : 05-08-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling