This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:59 AM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

...and the first bit of fun, the triple sheave pulley wont fit over the water pump without a spacer so managed track down an Aussie equivalent to the Flex-a-lite that Eric showed.... more to come I'm sure!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Water pump pulley for '58-'60 Non-OEM A/C To CAA

Hi Bill, I am glad that Eric posted that information and that you were able to find the equivalent Aussie spacer to fit. So, by your post, I gather you and Wyldie are working on installing the CAA AC into the '60! Good luck and I hope it all goes well. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance with the guys at CAA.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Apprentice

Wyldie is on a distinguished road

So much fun ahead of me! Luckily Bill is paving the way! Awesome information coming out on the forum, such a knowledgeable and helpful bunch. What a great community! It's easy to get confused on so much miss information out there, great that so many members are willing to go out of there way to help out a fellow tbird enthusiast. I've certainly learnt a lot over the past couple of weeks
Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 AM
Busted Knuckles

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
...and the first bit of fun, the triple sheave pulley wont fit over the water pump without a spacer so managed track down an Aussie equivalent to the Flex-a-lite that Eric showed.... more to come I'm sure!
....and now I know why the triple sheave OEM pulley wouldn't fit....it wasn't an OEM water pump and it had wider gussets on the shaft body, which don't allow the triple sheave OEM to nestle into place. The pump was swapped out because the bearing was getting tight....so I bought a new bearing and shaft and am having a local engineering shop trim and fit it to the old pump. Luckily the impeller is in good order, so now I will have full OEM parts, and my lesson is learnt! When i get it back i will pull the new one and post some photos. Nothing like getting another 4 or 5 people involved in what should have been a simple job
Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Water pump pulley for '58-'60 Non-OEM A/C To CAA

Hi Bill, thanks for the update. So much for not getting an OEM water pump pulley! I hope that is not the one that I found for you! It probably has not shown up yet. I am glad you figured it out though, and are taking action to make it work.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 PM
Busted Knuckles

Here are the photo's as promised,

Number 1 is a shot of the aftermarket water pump fitted, you may also see that the shaft is shorter and the gussets are larger than on an OEM water pump.

Number 2 is the side view of same pump.

Number 3 is a shot showing the alignment issues between the billet pulley I ended up sourcing, and as you can see the pulley walls are thicker than the crank pulley, thus not lining up correctly. No doubt if I went with this some big fun would have ensued.

Number 4 is the OEM pulley placed over the aftermarket pump and you can see the gap between the end of the shaft and where the keyway actually is.... large amounts of air in between.

As mentioned in my previous post, I am resurrecting the old OEM water pump, with a new shaft and bearings sorted, a quick clean of the impeller, and I can use the OEM pulley Ray sourced.

Once in place I will post pics of that as well with the air con in place (and the alternator).

Then when that is done its on to putting aircon on the 59 and using the 2 sheave pulley Ray found for me as well.

The fun never stops!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aftermarket water pump.jpg (338.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg side view.jpg (360.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg alignment.jpg (340.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg OEM pulley showing gap between shaft and keyway.jpg (308.7 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Bill,

I thought I was the only one that when starting a project it never goes as planned (and I mean never).

Glad to see you're making progress though and thanks for the pics. Supposed to be around 32C (90F) here today and I will be out on a parts run in the Tbird. Will be wishing I had your A/C unit. Someone asked me one time what temps I expected out of my A/C conversion when I finish it. Told them I didn't know exactly but when I opened the door of my car at a car show I expect the temp at the show to drop a few degrees from all the cold air escaping from my car. Hope yours is the same.

I did just convert my R-12 system in my small pick-up to R-134 last week. Outside temp was 29C (85F) and the air coming out of the ducts was about 5C (42F). That would be nice on my Tbird conversion.

That is an unusual looking water pump - possibly a FE truck pump? Guess it doesn't matter since you will have the correct one on there shortly.

Interested in the alternator conversion too. I had been eyeing the CRAP low mount bracket for the FE as a possibility.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FE-2-PI...53.m1438.l2649

@ Wyldie...
You're right - this is a great bunch of folks. I'm always learning something on here and hope any info I post helps .....or at least doesn't hurt.....

Eric
Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 AM
Busted Knuckles

[quote=DKheld;108368]Bill,

I thought I was the only one that when starting a project it never goes as planned (and I mean never). ]

Well Eric, the A/C went to plan, and is in situ. The alternator is another story... I went with a very well known vendor from Ca and ordered their kit but it looks like there are bolts etc missing...yay as I can seem to get the adjustment arm located anywhere and if I had the bolt I would have a clue...but I dont. The instructions arent all that clear either. I am emailing them to see if they can help but as they are basically a reseller, no doubt they will need to ask someone else.

Fun times!

and to make it all the more amusing, I was putting the other bird away last night, having moved it to work on this one....and the generator light came on and wont go off

Repeat after me, we love classic cars, we love classic cars...
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 AM
Apprentice

Wyldie is on a distinguished road

Haha, all fun and games, I'll come round and give you a hand we'll have both your birds sorted in no time. Have the a/c running just in time for winter!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Busted Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldie View Post
Haha, all fun and games, I'll come round and give you a hand we'll have both your birds sorted in no time. Have the a/c running just in time for winter!
Cheers Michael, much appreciated. got the alternator mounted and used the old generator brackets and "modified" the vendors adjustment bracket. bottom line is it works! Frankenstein eat your heart out.

I am away this week but will post pics when I'm back.