This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I have to explain my terminology. Normally, we reference everything from the crankshaft. This is the only true way to be correct and as you know, RH/LH is always done from the driver's viewpoint. (So, American drivers sit on the LH side AND cylinders 1-4 are on the RH side.)

When I say I advanced the cam, I am really saying I retard the crank timing. It's not confusing if you think about it. Retarding the crank will put the cam timing ahead of (before) TDC on the crank.

Another explanation: If I change cam timing by four degrees, I am really saying that the crankshaft will show eight degrees retarded when the cam is straight up. 'Straight up' is when the cam's #6 valves are dead even between the exhaust and intake, when the fuel mixture scavenges. In other words, both valves are slightly open.

We can check cam timing with the cam card as well, but I check the cam card against this valve setting, just to verify the card's accuracy. (Yes, I've had the wrong card on a cam.)

So Tom, eight crank degrees renders four cam degrees.

Ok... I've seen old timing chains stretch so much they advance the crank four degrees before they jump a tooth.

Timing chain slop can be seen with a timing light pointed at the damper pulley as the engine speed abruptly changes up and down. A new chain will give your engine quick response. e.g., Ever feel that hesitation in the gas pedal when the light turns green? A new chain removes that hesitation, just like when your engine was new. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 04-06-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

I hear you Dave.
I had a mate that builds a lot of engines come to my place and check the new cam with his degree wheel.
And I used a new Cloyes tru-roller (I think that's how they spelled it!)timing chain and gears.

I'm learning as I get older "Do it once -do it right"

Or something like that....
Old 04-07-2017, 12:41 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Tom, you did it right. I bought my degree wheel many decades ago, when 'iSKY' cams were in vogue. The only redeeming quality to the wheel is that it's made of metal. Otherwise, anyone can download the artwork and paste it onto a piece of shirtboard. The same holds true for damper pulley graduations. (Notice the pointer I made from wire.)

This one also has a true roller chain. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djweaz View Post
After doing all these things, I didn't have much of an issue with it as long as I didn't try to do a burnout or floor it. As long as I give it light pedal from a light it was fine. I could go 80moh on the highway no problem whatsoever. If I got caught up in bumper to bumper traffic or sitting idling it would back up flood.
Mine does almost exactly the same thing, except
mine will idle all day long. It's seems purely load
based, so I don't think it is a timing chain issue
(that and idle timing with light is real smooth, not
jumping around like a loose chain would).

I need to go all through the distr timing sometime
this summer. If it does turn out to be my chain is
that bad, I will wait and pull the engine/trans in
the fall to regasket both. This thing is a rocket even
at half throttle, could live with it as is forever, if needed.

I did rebuild carb and it did nothing. I don't think it
is a fuel issue unless electric pump just can't keep up.
I moved that pump to right in front of gas tank and
rewired using larger guage wire and relay that comes
off batt.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Apprentice

Djweaz is on a distinguished road

So I got it running really good yesterday. Even actually let tire marks. Had a ping at the top so I adjusted it more and had to start again lol so I took a break and when I came back to it. It would start and die when you let off the key. So I jumpered the ignition to the coil and it started right up so stupid me made an actual wire to go across from the solenoid to the coil as soon as I started putting the power cable on and the wire from the coil to the started melting. I quickly removed the battery cable.. a buddy of mine says it sounds like the ballast resistor has gone bad. Problem is I can't find it or don't know what I am looking for. At first I thought it was the junction box on the passenger side just above the blower motor, it doesn't look like one from pictures that I looked up and the other guess was the junction box behind the master cylinder where the coil wire goes to on the bottom plug and is joined with a wire that goes to the solenoid. I've changed the old brittle wires from wire I had from the last wiring harness I did, but it still does the same thing. Starts and dies. Can't find a picture in the manual of either of them
Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It's on the firewall to the right of the master cylinder.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firewall1.jpg (103.3 KB, 31 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
It's on the firewall to the right of the master cylinder.

John
Excellent that's what I thought it was. I'll go buy it in the am thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Timing issues 430

Rob, this is what my ballast resistor on my '59 looks like, and where it is located at on the firewall right next to the MC...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150701_191546-Text.jpg (89.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg BallastResistorExterior.jpg (29.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg BallastResistorInsides.jpg (27.4 KB, 32 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-09-2017, 05:03 AM
Apprentice

I'm going to have to read about them. I always thought they were a type of Horn relay. Hopefully this is what is causing to to start and immediately die. My buddy said that's what it is. I have noticed it die several times since I've had it and thought it was a strange way to die. Was like instantly dying. And not trying to chug and hiccup but an instant die. When I put the carb on and started it died quite a few times. As I would start it I would start getting out to set the carb up, by the time I stood up or got to the side of the carb it would die. I thought that it was that it was still trying to fill the float bowls. But when it did it yesterday I immediately thought of ignition.

Does anybody know what the other part is? Looks to be some sort of relay it's on the passenger side of the firewall. Has one wire that splits in two and is screwed on to either side. And below it has a hot wire from the solenoid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1087 (2).JPG (30.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1088 (2).JPG (37.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

I had a bad ballast resistor that had me pulling my hair out.

Turned out the porcelain 'rod' inside the coil was broken.

And when the coil got hot it expanded in length and bowed which then made contact with the metal mounting bracket that wraps around the resistor and shorted the circuit

But until then behaved as normal, i.e. the motor would start, run for a minute or two then die.

A 'normal' bad resistor will allow the motor to fire while the ignition key is twisted to engage the starter - but die when key is released.