This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 PM

sagembox is on a distinguished road
Default Front Wheel Studs length

Hello, can anyone tell me the length of the wheel bolts on the front axle? And are there some longer available? I need 15mm (approximatly 0,6 inch) more. Or maybe convert to nuts in the drum and fix the wheel with bolts.
The reason is because i have to put spacers on.
Thanks for your answers!

Regards from germany
Markus
Old 04-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Markus, these wheel studs are available at many places. Here is one CLICK HERE

Your car was made using 'inch' sizes and the wheel studs are 1/2" in diameter with 20 threads per inch. The standard length is 1-5/8" (or 41.275mm long). The same studs are used on the front and rear. They can be removed by knocking out with a hammer. To install, simple enter the stud from behind and use the nut to draw the stud all the way home.

Extra long studs are available. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Dave, thank you vergessen mich!
Do you have me a hot tip where to find longer versions of the studieren?

Regards
Markus
Old 04-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I also had to add some 1/4" spacers on the front, and thought this would be a no brainer. A month later I was still fighting it. The problem I ran into, was the knurled part of the new studs was always a loose fit in the hub and instead of pressing in, they just fell in. I tried several manufacturers and they were all the same. I know, you're thinking the holes in my hubs must be oversized. Nope. I even called the tech team on the stud manufacturer and they gave me the specs. What they quoted me, easily allowed the knurled section to be undersized with their plus/minus tolerances. I tried Dorman 610-444, Dorman 610-519 and Wagner BD125969. I also tried a set I found at Pep Boys and they had the same loose fit. To make a long story short, I ended up with studs from Summit Racing that were Moser MSR-8010 (1/2-20X3", RH thd, .625" knurl). I ended up putting a nut on the studs and cutting them to length. That worked fine. Another option is the MSR-8250 which is 1.938" in length. Not quite long enough for me since I wanted to make sure I had a full nut on the stud. It was very close though. Believe me, I never thought changing studs would be this much of a challenge. Good Luck
Nyles
Old 04-02-2017, 02:13 AM
Slow Typist

Those of us who retrofit front disk brakes end up with two drums we can no longer use, both loaded with studs. I have pounded out a few and used them. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-02-2017, 05:51 AM

Nyles, thanks a lot!
I have just ordered the studs, these are exactly that what i need.

Regards
Markus
Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 PM

The studs are delivered!
The next issue is to push them out. Could anyone tell me a trick how to solve? I have a 5T press, but during pressing the drum deform a little bit and I stopped further pressing. Should i have to heat the drum up?
Please help

Thanks and regards
Markus

Last edited by sagembox : 04-11-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Markus:
On the front drums, the center hub can be removed from the drum. The brake drum registers on the machined center fit and can get tight from rust etc. A little WD40 or heat usually helps to get it to release. This makes it a lot easier to press out the studs as you can use a large socket or pipe as a backup when pressing the stud.
I would also recommend cutting the studs to length prior to installing them. It's a lot easier
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel Studs.jpg (255.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Wheel Stud 1.jpg (278.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Slow Typist

You're making this job much harder than it should be. Broken or short studs DO NOT need a press on either the front hubs OR rear axle flanges. A simple hammer blow or two will send the old stud right out the back.

A press is the worst tool to use.
The studs have a swage that simply stops the stud from turning in the round, smooth hole. It's not a precision press fit but it works because those little lines in the stud are designed to upset (fold over) as the friction becomes greater. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca