This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Pinball Larry

lnoska is on a distinguished road
Default Rear speaker 1960 Thunderbird

Was there a factory option to add a second speaker in the back of a 1960 Thunderbird?

Does any body reproduce the carburetor linkage the part that is attached to the bell housing?
Thunderbird Redistry #39303
Old 03-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

A rear speaker was not an option. What part are you referring to. None of the carburetor linkage attaches to the bell housing. Do you mean the intake manifold. None of those parts are being reproduced. If you need parts contact Carl Heller (partsetal). He should have what you need.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

I just got a complete accelerator mechanism from Carl. Are you missing the part on the intake, or does it have a lot of play? In case of play, it seems that this can be repaired with bushes.
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 03-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Larry:
Someone had installed a rear speaker prior to me getting the car. I did clean it up a bit and think it has a 60's retro look. If I had originally done it, I probably would have put 2 speakers on the rear deck instead of the one center, but it will be fine for me.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Speaker.jpg (251.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Apprentice

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
Larry:
Someone had installed a rear speaker prior to me getting the car. I did clean it up a bit and think it has a 60's retro look. If I had originally done it, I probably would have put 2 speakers on the rear deck instead of the one center, but it will be fine for me.
Nyles
For your information :

PRODUCT Service Letter, P-432 , dated June 4, 1959 states :

Rear Seat Speaker Installation ( 1958-59 Thunderbirds ) .
Poor radio tone quality may occur in some 1958-59 Thunderbirds and can be eliminated by installing a Rear Seat Speaker Kit (B7A-18875-A ) as follows .

The service letter came with instructions and diagrams on how to install same. Location and grille look similar to your picture of grille.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:41 PM

That's interesting. Is there a fader control as part of the installation. I've seen them in Fairlanes and Galaxies but I wasn't sure if it was aftermarket or dealer installed.

John

Old 03-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

That is interesting. It is NOT listed in the Optional Equipment lists for 1958-1960 Tbirds. It will be interesting to see what the VTCI OFS says about this!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Apprentice

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
That's interesting. Is there a fader control as part of the installation. I've seen them in Fairlanes and Galaxies but I wasn't sure if it was aftermarket or dealer installed.

John
Yes John / Ray , the diagram does show a fader control . Will try and have the service letter copied and send it out to you if you wish .
Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
That is interesting. It is NOT listed in the Optional Equipment lists for 1958-1960 Tbirds. It will be interesting to see what the VTCI OFS says about this!
Many times dealer installed upgrades weren't available from the factory. Since this kit has a B7A part number it was obviously not designed specifically for squarebirds but was retrofitted probably due to complaints.

John

Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Martin, thank you for this information on the rear speaker. I never knew there was one available and it IS sanctioned by the VTCI in the Official Factory Specifications (OFS), that Alan Tast, "Fuz" Johnson, and even our Founder, Alexander Sosiak helped put together years ago. I would like to have a copy of it for our historical files. If you have a scanner, you can scan it in as a .jpg and IF it is to big to post, email it to me and I can work with it. Yes, John is right, I suspect. This came about probably because of complaints regarding the radio and speakers in the Squarebird and this was their fix to correct that. It was probably a speaker that was already in use in Fairlanes and Galaxies as Martin said, that they decided to put to use in the Squarebird.

I just took the time to look at my VTCI OFS CD and here is what it says about this speaker.

"Note: Operation SP-18875-A-59, illustrated in Product Service Letter P-432, provided for installation of Rear Seat Speaker Kit B7A 18875-A in the center of the rear package tray by dealers in both hardtops and convertibles to resolve complaints of poor radio tone quality. A fader control was mounted in the lower dash extension near the console. Templates were included with the bulletin for location of holes in the panel for hardtops and for fabrication of a mounting/baffle board for convertibles. Installation of the rear seat speaker using the B7A 18875-A kit will not be assessed a modification point deduction in all Divisions; use of speaker frames, grilles, speakers and fader switches/knobs that do not match those used in the kit may result in modification point deduction. (PSLP-432, 6/4/59)"

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-29-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Additional Information