This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #1  
Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 PM
OX1 OX1 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 10 2016
Posts: 249
OX1 is on a distinguished road
Default Ride height and "rake"

Read through this thread.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...+height&page=2

I have 7 leaf rear susp and 8.5 from center of wheel to bottom of wheelwell (with skirt removed). That sounds right.

Front was 15.75 from center of wheel to top of wheel well.
This sounds high with most in that thread getting 14-14.5

Now I also measured "rake" using the ground (my 4 post lift, so no variation in this "ground") to the bottom of door sill (front and rear).

Front was 8.5, rear was 10.

So my question is, if I am theoretically too high in the front, wouldn't that make a pretty sever rake if I lowered the front another inch or so?
__________________
59-430-HT
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 PM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,080
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Henry, it all depends on what YOU want. Most Squarebird aftermarket rear springs have 5 leafs. Some vendors sell sets with 6 leafs. I have never heard of seven. Pardon me for saying but, the ride must be stiff as a truck.

We have plenty of pictures showing 'stance' of the Thunderbirds as they left the factory. We also have measurements. How you prefer your car to be, is personal choice.

BTW, I know measurements are commonly done from the center of the wheel to the bottom lip. With new tire and wheel profiles, it's my belief that measuring from the GROUND to the lip is a more accurate method. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 AM
OX1 OX1 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 10 2016
Posts: 249
OX1 is on a distinguished road
Default

I was fine with it the way it was, apparently raked higher
by at least an inch or two in the rear, but I am certainly
not going to put those hokey spring helpers back in
the front, so I need a spring at least as tall as the
one I had with the helpers.

Was there ever a diagram like this for SB's?

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...dimensions.jpg

Anyway, I only counted my leaves after I read this thread
below. My springs look original after seeing corrosion on
leaves and bushing condition. But from what you are telling
me, I cannot get the same spring I have now. So if I
replace (if/ever), odds are the rear will be lower.

"Rear: 59-60

It looks like 7" to 7.5" from the Center of Hub Cap to top of
skirt should be close to the original rear measurement
with 6 leaf springs (standard equipment).

Optional factory heavy duty rear suspension with 7 leaf
springs should be about 8" to 8.5"

Post # 38

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...?t=3087&page=2

BTW, do you guys normally count the very short leaf
(maybe foot long max) @ bottom of pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Henry, it all depends on what YOU want. Most Squarebird aftermarket rear springs have 5 leafs. Some vendors sell sets with 6 leafs. I have never heard of seven. Pardon me for saying but, the ride must be stiff as a truck.

We have plenty of pictures showing 'stance' of the Thunderbirds as they left the factory. We also have measurements. How you prefer your car to be, is personal choice.

BTW, I know measurements are commonly done from the center of the wheel to the bottom lip. With new tire and wheel profiles, it's my belief that measuring from the GROUND to the lip is a more accurate method. - Dave
__________________
59-430-HT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2017, 06:04 PM
sidewalkman's Avatar
sidewalkman sidewalkman is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Sep 14 2015
Posts: 291
sidewalkman is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
I was fine with it the way it was, apparently raked higher
by at least an inch or two in the rear, but I am certainly
not going to put those hokey spring helpers back in
the front, so I need a spring at least as tall as the
one I had with the helpers.

Was there ever a diagram like this for SB's?

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/8...dimensions.jpg

Anyway, I only counted my leaves after I read this thread
below. My springs look original after seeing corrosion on
leaves and bushing condition. But from what you are telling
me, I cannot get the same spring I have now. So if I
replace (if/ever), odds are the rear will be lower.

"Rear: 59-60

It looks like 7" to 7.5" from the Center of Hub Cap to top of
skirt should be close to the original rear measurement
with 6 leaf springs (standard equipment).

Optional factory heavy duty rear suspension with 7 leaf
springs should be about 8" to 8.5"

Post # 38

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...?t=3087&page=2

BTW, do you guys normally count the very short leaf
(maybe foot long max) @ bottom of pack?
You don't want 7 leaves, trust me, it'll ride like a pickup truck unloaded.
__________________
Scott
South Delta, BC, Canada
1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 PM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,080
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Yep, count them all...

My next door neighbor had an 'extra' spring added to his Granada. But know what?? He WAS a trucker and that's the 'feel' he wanted in his retirement years. It's your car to do with as you like. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 AM
OX1 OX1 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 10 2016
Posts: 249
OX1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
You don't want 7 leaves, trust me, it'll ride like a pickup truck unloaded.
Rides Great. I know what a bad ride is, I have 2 classic broncos (92 inch wheelbase, solid axles, 33" tires, about the same weight as a bird)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Yep, count them all...

My next door neighbor had an 'extra' spring added to his Granada. But know what?? He WAS a trucker and that's the 'feel' he wanted in his retirement years. It's your car to do with as you like. - Dave
So was the 7 leaf spring a factory option or not? Just curious.
__________________
59-430-HT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 PM
dgs's Avatar
dgs dgs is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Feb 13 2003
Posts: 921
dgs is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
BTW, I know measurements are commonly done from the center of the wheel to the bottom lip. With new tire and wheel profiles, it's my belief that measuring from the GROUND to the lip is a more accurate method. - Dave
I realize that I'm late to the party, but I'd like to offer a different take on this. With differences in wheel and tire sizes, I believe that measuring from the wheel center to the body will be more consistent. You are then measuring the suspension and taking the tires out of the picture.

Different tire diameters will raise and lower the car and change the distance from the ground to the body. The distance from the wheel center to the body should be pretty independant of tire diameter and should be comparable from car to car regardless of tire size.
__________________
DGS (aka salguod)
1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
www.salguod.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.