This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default Installing accelerator linkage

This weekend i painted the original accelerator rod componentes which i received from Carl and today started to install them. I´m at the point of adjustment now and was wondering what the hard stop in idle is. I adjusted the carburator connecting link with the gauge pin installed, but as soon as i remove the gauge pin, the spring pulls the whole mechanism up a bit, while it goes through the overcenter position. Maybe the carburator connecting link must be bend somewhat, since i have the Edelbrock 1405 carburator? Or should there be a hard stop somewhere?
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
This weekend i painted the original accelerator rod componentes which i received from Carl and today started to install them. I´m at the point of adjustment now and was wondering what the hard stop in idle is. I adjusted the carburator connecting link with the gauge pin installed, but as soon as i remove the gauge pin, the spring pulls the whole mechanism up a bit, while it goes through the overcenter position. Maybe the carburator connecting link must be bend somewhat, since i have the Edelbrock 1405 carburator? Or should there be a hard stop somewhere?
I'm not sure how you have it installed. Here's a picture of my installation on an Edelbrock carburetor. I don't know what you mean by a "gauge pin".

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edelbrock carb.jpg (139.4 KB, 89 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Experienced

The gauge pin is named like this in the manual, its the rigging pin. At the moment I have it a little bit mis-rigged, the carburetor link a bit longer, so that the mechanism doesn´t turn through overcenter and the carburetor idle stop makes the hard stop for the whole mechanism.
Indeed I have the carburetor link installed like you have
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

I have the stock linkage, when I got the car the transmission slipped, the linkage was way out and the carb didn't open fully.

Trial and error, use the settings in the manual as a starting point only, then its a 1/2 turn here and a 1/2 turn there until it's right.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
I have the stock linkage, when I got the car the transmission slipped, the linkage was way out and the carb didn't open fully.

Trial and error, use the settings in the manual as a starting point only, then its a 1/2 turn here and a 1/2 turn there until it's right.
Thanks Scott. At least I know that the throttle plates open completely and that the overrun mechanism comes into action as soon as the mechanical stop of the carburetor is reached. (probably not the right name for the mechanism, maybe it even has to do with the kick-down of the transmission. At least the throttle plate movement stops and the transmission link continues to move)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I had to lengthen my accel rod to work with the Holley I bought by straightening out the bends slightly. Mine has vacuum secondaries. Still tweaking the kickdown, float levels, etc months later. Was supposed to be factory set and "only needs slight adjustment" (ha). Carb is waaay undersized even though it is advertised as a 600 cfm. Feels more like 475 cfm.

Eric
Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
I had to lengthen my accel rod to work with the Holley I bought by straightening out the bends slightly. Mine has vacuum secondaries. Still tweaking the kickdown, float levels, etc months later. Was supposed to be factory set and "only needs slight adjustment" (ha). Carb is waaay undersized even though it is advertised as a 600 cfm. Feels more like 475 cfm.

Eric
Hi Eric, if it's the same one as on my car it is 475 CFM and a dog. I was toying with the idea of like most people here getting the Edelbrock, but as I'm also toying with the idea of switching the heads to 428 heads I'm opting for the Holley Street Avenger at 670CFM, I'll let you know.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 AM
Experienced

Just finished the installation of the original accelerator linkage and man, what a difference that makes on the accelerator pedal. Before you needed to push very hard to get any movement of the pedal, and then the Bird was launched, now its smooth over the whole travel. Didn´t drive it yet to see how the transmission linkage adjustment is, but will do that soon.