This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road
Default Horn wire

So i received the missing parts in the steering wheel for the horn and started to take the steering wheel of. Since the gear shift indicator was difficult to read, i decided to take the plastic of and paint the gear positions. Then i discovered that the horn wire, which goes to the spring contact, is broken around 4 inches inside the column. Is it possible to just get a new wire for the horn in there? Any easy way to do this?
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

I know the wire isn't serviced separately. It comes with a new shifter dial indicator and is light blue. Cost is about $50.

If you want the factory repair you buy the new dial and use an old speedo cable or similar to snake the new wire it down your steering column to the connection under the dash. If the broken wire is accessible, attach the new wire to the old and pull it through the column to the connection under the dash.

Or...you can use a wire connector to repair the broken wire. I assume you knew this already and wouldn't have to ask if that were the case. So your wire must be broken off inside the column. You can repair the wire after pulling it through the column from under the dash. Either way you'll have to fish the repaired wire through the column.

I'm sure you'll get a few more suggestions.

Dean
Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Experienced

Thanks Dean. I will have a better look, because so far i didnīt see wires coming out of the column.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:28 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Frank, I am very surprised your horn wire broke because, well, it never moves. It is totally surrounded by steel and it is part of a bundle of many other wires. I suppose anything can happen.

All the wires exit your column just below your knees, when sitting. The horn wire is Blue-Yellow meaning, a blue wire with a yellow trace OR blue wire with yellow bullet connector.

Our wiring diagrams show seven wires exiting the column but really there are eight because the 'shift indicator lamp' (Red-Blue) wire isn't shown.

If you ground the horn wire, the horn will sound. This wire passes very low current, just enough to energize the horn relay coil. If you find the horn stays on all the time, a common fault happens when the horn ring is shorting to ground, from being assembled improperly.

A different fault happens when the horn never turns on. This is usually caused because the steering column has slid down too far and the carbon brush can not make contact with the horn ring assembly.

I like the idea of fixing your original wire if the break is in a convenient place. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Experienced

It looks like the wire got stuck in between something and was smatched and cut. It simply came out like this when i removed the shift indicator plate, so it was cut at an other occasion. I didnīt remove anything more from the steering column sofar, but couldnīt locate the rest of the wire. So there should be a shift indicator light as well, i didnīt see anything of a light as far as i remember.
Where should the horn relay be situated?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 AM
Slow Typist

The horn relay is right next to your voltage regulator in the engine bay. A very short power wire feeds the horn relay from the BATT terminal on your voltage regulator. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
The horn relay is right next to your voltage regulator in the engine bay. A very short power wire feeds the horn relay from the BATT terminal on your voltage regulator. - Dave
Hmmm, is missing then as well.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Apprentice

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Hmmm, is missing then as well.
Frank: This may help. If your horns have been moved years ago from behind the bumper up to the fender well, just below the regulator, the relay may be siting below the horns and out of sight .
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR5T8BIRD View Post
Frank: This may help. If your horns have been moved years ago from behind the bumper up to the fender well, just below the regulator, the relay may be siting below the horns and out of sight .
Thanks for that ourbird, my horns are indeed inside the left wheel well area. Maybe that I didnīt look too good yet, but I didnīt see anything what looks like a relay. It is very well possible that the relay was moved to under the dash, so I will do some investigations there as well.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Slow Typist

Simply follow the horn wires. They lead directly to the relay. If you need a new relay, you can get an OEM for a lot of money or you can use a modern relay for a few bucks. There is nothing special about the original relay. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca