This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Whats the plan for the hood? Pins?

Otherwise love it and do agree that you should leave the 9".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
I'm aware a lot of you on here won't like my progress, but here she is...

I'm hopeful with my schedule, I fire her up next month or so to see what it sounds like.

She also got a bit of work on her nose.

Cheers
RustyNCA

Click on small pix for larger view.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Whats the plan for the hood? Pins?

Otherwise love it and do agree that you should leave the 9".
I have a spare hood that I am hoping I can cut such that it can still hinge down over the entire thing.

To be honest, I have not been worrying bout that stage of the build till I get there.

I've been trying to do this without making un-reversible? changes to the car, so far I have accomplished that. Right now I can still pull this mess out and stuff the original drive train I kept back in, if I was so inclined anyway.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Bryan - you might want to send a PM to Tom Wollenburg (Tom's bird) here on the forum. He is currently installing leaf springs on his '58 and replacing the springs (along with rear discs and some other upgrades). Guess that could help with the decision.
Tom's a super nice guy - I'm sure he can give you some details on what was needed.

Eric
That would be interesting, then I could run that rear sway bar I tried that would only work on a leaf spring rear end.

On my list is doing rear discs, the drums just get in the way.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
The width of the 8.8 isn't much different from the 9". Mustang GTs used straight 8.8 axles. Cobras are the exact same body with a cradle bolted on instead of the straight axle. The big difference is, independent suspension.

Your 9" is actually stronger than the 8.8 and I don't know if I would trust the independent axles with that much HP. All you need is a pair of leaf springs and four perches from a '59 or '60, bolted to your 9" axle.

3.77 may be ok for your C-6 but you're crankin' over 500HP. I wouldn't go any taller than 3.90:1. I ran a 4.30 posi in my Mustang for many years but it was fed with an AOD. The C-6 is stronger than an AOD but you're limited to three gears.

Here's something that will help you... The sun gear from an E4OD will fit your C-6. First gear will be ~20% lower, second will be ~15% lower and third is stock (straight through). I did this on my C-6 and it really helps a tall RE gear. You still need a stall converter. Any good gear and axle shop should have parts, or know where to get them.

Now you have to make some choices... - Dave
Thanks for the info Dave. I know some of the V guys are running over 800 to 1,100 HP through their 8.8s, but they are running custom axles built for the power. Hard to imagine those 4 door Cadillacs out there with 800 plus eh?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

NICE! Curious to see what you do with the hood. I am also going to have to modify mine at some point.

mattyel is going to have a blown 460 in his car. I've seen some pics on facebook. (he lives in Australia)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Tom's bird is on a distinguished road
Default Bird Update

It's been a while but been busy. I've made quite a few changes to the 58, First I'll blame it on Eric for showing me his bird. Working with a shop here in NC. I decided to put in leaf springs. It was decided to make the springs run straight vs. at an angle like the 59 & 60. 9 in rear with 3:70 gears. Well, that moved the rear sliding shackles to the fuel tank area. Now gotta fix that with a new tank/location.

Next we found major rust in the rocker area as well as the front structure. Basically installed a frame to tie front and rear sub-frames together. Added rear disk brakes and went with new master cylinder. new 17 in wheels and tires
(Got a set of 15" wire wheels in good shape if someone needs them) Installed new Borgenson power steering box with Ididit column.

Now on to the engine I took the 390 (which the last builder put the head gaskets on backwards, which caused major damage to the rear cylinder valves with overheat) after all the work we stroked it, added Elderbrock Performer aluminum heads and intake. Running a Fi-Tech Fuel injection, Ended up with a 445 cu in stroker producing 525 HP and 595 lbs of torque. And then committed sacrilege, I installed a GM 700R w/OD.

Will be doing new speedhut gauges and all new wiring. Bottom line a lot of work to go. That's why they call it a hobby, it never ends, but we say we enjoy it.