This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #1  
Old 02-16-2017, 04:38 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default So, I've been quietly working on my 58

I'm aware a lot of you on here won't like my progress, but here she is...

I'm hopeful with my schedule, I fire her up next month or so to see what it sounds like.

She also got a bit of work on her nose.

Cheers
RustyNCA

Click on small pix for larger view.

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-16-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 PM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,075
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I love your setup. Is that a GM blower? Are you using forged pistons? C'mon, give us the skinny, like C.I., heads, compression ratios, cam duration, etc. You can expect ~40% more ponies over stock depending on your blower's %. It sure beats centrifugal setups and the chrome is beautiful.

What trans? RE? Tires?
I want a ride! - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2017, 05:20 PM
DKheld's Avatar
DKheld DKheld is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Aug 27 2008
Posts: 1,431
DKheld is on a distinguished road
Default

Now that's going to put some "Thunder" in Thunderbird.

You are definitely going to have to do a youtube video so we can see AND hear.

Wowzers!

We need to get you and Greg on a drag strip.

NICE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I love your setup. Is that a GM blower? Are you using forged pistons? C'mon, give us the skinny, like C.I., heads, compression ratios, cam duration, etc. You can expect ~40% more ponies over stock depending on your blower's %. It sure beats centrifugal setups and the chrome is beautiful.

What trans? RE? Tires?
I want a ride! - Dave
Yes, it's a Hampton 671 blower based of the GM model. We set it on a Blue Thunder Intake with a 2.5" riser to clear the distributor. We are running dual Holley 4150 650s with manual sec and no chokes.

Motor is a 390 with factory 390GT heads we think. Compression is 9:1 or so, blower should run about 7 to 8 lbs boost the way I have it setup right now.

Cam is a 236/236 572/572 108 103

Tran is a C6 with a 9" out back(right now stock stall, which I'm sure will not stay in there). I haven't done anything with the rear end yet. She will need some changing when I get there.

Rear tires are 275x45x17s, not really a drag setup at this point. Same tires I have on the rear of the olds also sitting in the one photo.

I still have to finish the throttle linkage, fuel lines and get the correct belt, I ended up with one about 6" to long, and run the coolant lines. Click on small pic for bigger view.

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-16-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:23 PM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,075
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
...Tran is a C6 with a 9" out back(right now stock stall, which I'm sure will not stay in there). I haven't done anything with the rear end yet. She will need some changing when I get there...
Are you keeping the coil spring setup for the RE? (I hope you go with leafs on the same axle.)

Yeah, you need a stall converter. With your cam, driving is a fight w/OEM. Also consider a lower RE gear, just to keep the RE from breaking.

Are your pistons forged? This is important when using a blower.
Love, love, love your setup so far. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Are you keeping the coil spring setup for the RE? (I hope you go with leafs on the same axle.)

Yeah, you need a stall converter. With your cam, driving is a fight w/OEM. Also consider a lower RE gear, just to keep the RE from breaking.

Are your pistons forged? This is important when using a blower.
Love, love, love your setup so far. - Dave
Yeah, the 390 is just getting me out the door. Think of it this way, I had the blower and wanted to get it running and installed. Then we will build a real blower motor for it. We have another motor, a Mercury 410 with low miles we are thinking of building and going forged with alum heads all that on it. Same with the rear end, it won't stay the stock 3.0 open. I've never owned a blower motor vehicle yet, so I'm excited about the learning I've been doing.

We are thinking on the rear, we will either go with a four link, or even a HotRod's to Hell setup. I do have a full Cobra cradle, but I haven't figured yet if it's width is okay, since I would like to narrow the rear end up from what it is. And the Cobra also does seem to fight wheel hop from what I've read? And if all the work that would require is even worth the effort...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 PM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,075
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

I love the Cobra cradle. It's so convenient and easy to adapt.

The 390 is a great engine. It shares the same crank as an FE 427. I know some folks used a 410 crank in the 390 but not sure if the Mercury is the same. If you can't tell, I prefer the 390 because it's commonly available everywhere and so much can be done to it because of aftermarket support.

My next choice is the 351W-based 427 (Coyote) engine. 351Windsors are everywhere because they are SBF. Ford put them in Mustang Cobra, F-150 Harley trucks, Lightning trucks and a host of full size cars. Great engine, great support and many come with roller cams and EFI. - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,300
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I love the Cobra cradle. It's so convenient and easy to adapt.

The 390 is a great engine. It shares the same crank as an FE 427. I know some folks used a 410 crank in the 390 but not sure if the Mercury is the same. If you can't tell, I prefer the 390 because it's commonly available everywhere and so much can be done to it because of aftermarket support.

My next choice is the 351W-based 427 (Coyote) engine. 351Windsors are everywhere because they are SBF. Ford put them in Mustang Cobra, F-150 Harley trucks, Lightning trucks and a host of full size cars. Great engine, great support and many come with roller cams and EFI. - Dave
What I was told is the 410, is basically the 390 with the 428 crank? At least that is what a friend of mine told me, well the guy that gave me the motor.

The Cobra rear end I have seems perfect. LSD with 3.73 gears and the axle shafts are massive. Has a nice stout sway bar. I'd just need to fab up a way to mount the cradle under the car. My one worry is the width, I haven't sat and looked hard at it yet.

I actually picked it and two Lincoln 8.8 cradles from a client when they were available. Reason I grabbed them was for our CTS-V, but then I read what the balance of that conversion was costing and kinda halted it.

He had a 56 TBird with a supercharged Coyote and the Cobra 8.8 out back, and the cradles I grabbed were "extra"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 AM
simplyconnected's Avatar
simplyconnected simplyconnected is offline
Slow Typist
 
Join Date: May 26 2009
Posts: 7,075
simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
...The Cobra rear end I have seems perfect. LSD with 3.73 gears and the axle shafts are massive. Has a nice stout sway bar. I'd just need to fab up a way to mount the cradle under the car. My one worry is the width, I haven't sat and looked hard at it yet.

I actually picked it and two Lincoln 8.8 cradles from a client when they were available. Reason I grabbed them was for our CTS-V, but then I read what the balance of that conversion was costing and kinda halted it.

He had a 56 TBird with a supercharged Coyote and the Cobra 8.8 out back, and the cradles I grabbed were "extra"
The width of the 8.8 isn't much different from the 9". Mustang GTs used straight 8.8 axles. Cobras are the exact same body with a cradle bolted on instead of the straight axle. The big difference is, independent suspension.

Your 9" is actually stronger than the 8.8 and I don't know if I would trust the independent axles with that much HP. All you need is a pair of leaf springs and four perches from a '59 or '60, bolted to your 9" axle.

3.77 may be ok for your C-6 but you're crankin' over 500HP. I wouldn't go any taller than 3.90:1. I ran a 4.30 posi in my Mustang for many years but it was fed with an AOD. The C-6 is stronger than an AOD but you're limited to three gears.

Here's something that will help you... The sun gear from an E4OD will fit your C-6. First gear will be ~20% lower, second will be ~15% lower and third is stock (straight through). I did this on my C-6 and it really helps a tall RE gear. You still need a stall converter. Any good gear and axle shop should have parts, or know where to get them.

Now you have to make some choices... - Dave
__________________
My latest project:
CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 AM
DKheld's Avatar
DKheld DKheld is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Aug 27 2008
Posts: 1,431
DKheld is on a distinguished road
Default

Bryan - you might want to send a PM to Tom Wollenburg (Tom's bird) here on the forum. He is currently installing leaf springs on his '58 and replacing the springs (along with rear discs and some other upgrades). Guess that could help with the decision.
Tom's a super nice guy - I'm sure he can give you some details on what was needed.

Eric
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.