This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:38 PM

timmy is on a distinguished road
Default Front End Clip

Hello everyone, I'm new to owning a thunderbird. I just recently purchased a '61 with some front end damage and I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find the front clip. I could probably beat it back out but it would look goofy and I don't think the lights would fit back in there properly. Has anyone seen these for sale and know where I'd be able to get a replacement? Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking the whole front end on the 61/62 is bolt on whereas the 63 is welded. You may get lucky and find the entire unit more readily available by buying a parts car. Biggest concern is finding it reasonably close to your location. My best guess is the 61 & 62 would work easily for you, but not 63 as there are other minor differences.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Your Thunderbird is unibody, not body on frame so it has no front clip as you would find on a body on frame car. The front fender can be replaced but the inner structure is part of the unibody.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I suggest you call around to some local junkyards. Being a dry climate, Utah probably has some great ones. One or more will have a "classic" yard, and may even have a dedicated TBird area.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Here's a diagram that shows how your front end is welded to the rest of the body. If you can't straighten out the damaged area you will have to cut it out and weld in a new piece if you can find one. You can try calling some of the Thunderbird vendors that sell used parts like the Bird's Nest, The Thunderbird Connection or Pat Wilson Thunderbirds.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61structure.jpg (74.6 KB, 55 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-09-2017, 08:50 PM

timmy is on a distinguished road

Thanks everybody I finally dug into it a little more and it is in fact bolted on so thats good. But on the down side it looks like it's going to be a lot more work then i originally thought. right after i posted that i thought about the junk yard option and have a couple leads now. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Take some measurements of the frame points to make sure you are square. A line laser level can help you make these measurements. If questionable, a local frame shop can probably straighten out the chassis for a lot less money than you'd expect.