This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Apprentice

elijahbird7 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great information. My basic reason for replacing all of the parts is that I put a new truck liner in last summer, and don't want to risk a leak in there. The problem with the system was that if I had the front of the top completely half way up, I could stop it there, and it would stay in that position all day long. If I put it past the halfway point either toward the front or back, and let off the motor switch, it just basically fell down to the windshield header or into the trunk.
So, since I didn't want to just replace one part of it since I wasn't sure what was causing that to happen, I just decided to replace it all at one time.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Apprentice

Today I took all of the parts out after removing the rear seat to get at everything. I have connected all of the new hoses to the new motor and cylinders, so ready to bench bleed the system before I mount it in the car.
My question is about powering the motor to move the cylinders. I have the battery from my 66 Mustang in the back room for winter storage and hooked up to my Battery Tender. I don't want to mess up the new motor, so have to ask if I placed the black ground wire to the negative post of the battery, and touched the positive post with the red wire to run the motor one way, and then switch to the yellow wire touching the positive post to go the other way, would that be something that would work? Obviously I don't know anything about electronics, so it might be a totally dumb question........
Old 02-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You are correct. Black wire to ground and red to power for one direction and yellow for the other direction.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Apprentice

Great, I was going to stop to see my mechanic on Monday to ask him before I did anything, but now, I guess I can start bleeding it today! Thanks John
Old 02-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Apprentice

I assembled and bled the whole system last night. The motor itself already had fluid in it, and it took just a little more than a quart to fill it all up. This morning I put everything back in the car, and it is now working, and when I release the switch, it stops the top wherever it is at. Great. A couple of small things though. The bottom of the cylinder that attaches to the car back by the rear seat, the old cylinder had two rubber/metal reinforced spacers that fit into the bottom hole of the old cylinder. The hole in the new cylinder was smaller, so couldn't put those in. And at the top of the cylinder that attaches to the top frame has 2 cream colored plastic spacers. Unfortunately, one of those was cracked, and when I pulled the bolt out, it fell into pieces, so now one cylinder only has a spacer on one side. Not sure if I can actually find a replacement anywhere, but it seems to be working fine as it is.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 59 Convertible system...How much fluid?

Jim, congratulations on what you accomplished there. You might send Carl Heller ~ partsetal a PM and see if he happens to have that part that broke on you. Carl has a lot of Squarebird parts and might have one, or know where you can find them at. You could also ask the guys at the Bird Nest or Tbird Hqs. Or post something in the For Sale Forum, as there are members here who have Squarebird parts for sale there also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Apprentice

Ray, I'll give that a try. Thanks
Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Apprentice

After some searching, I found a full set of the nylon bushings on eBay. I had emailed Hydro-E-Lectric, where I got all the parts at: hydroel@aol.com just before I found the set on eBay, and the next day, they answered saying they had them as well. So anyone looking should email them to find what you need.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 59 Convertible system...How much fluid?

Jim! Thank you very much for this information! I just spoke with Erika, the owner of Hydro-E-Lectric about her business and will be adding her to our Advertisements Forum. They have a lot of parts for a lot of different makes of cars from 1946 and up, including our Tbirds. So ya'll look down in the Advertisements Forum in a bit and you should find her new listing there.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 02-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Apprentice

Ray, I should have waited for Hrdroe to reply, as it would have been a lot cheaper! When I saw the listing on eBay, it was the only one available, and it was a complete set of those nylon bushings...so thought I better grab it.