This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:55 AM

mrfreeze is on a distinguished road
Default "Master" key set

I was able to locate my door/ignition key code so half of my problem is solved. Soon I'll be taking out the trunk cylinder & looking for a code on it. I was able to find a 92-key "Try-Out" key set for the Ford H26/H27 keys for sale online for $150. The manufacturer name is Aero and the part number is TO-118. I am seriously considering the purchase of this set to find my trunk key and make the set available for other classic Ford owners with missing keys to find & copy the keys they need. I am blind & my only income is from SSDI so $150 is somewhat of a big purchase which requires some thought. If I do order the set I will post to let everyone know how they work.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:29 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Keys & Key Codes

Hi Eric, I see you are making progress with your locks, keys and key codes. I hope you will be able to figure it all out and get that problem fixed. I had not read your profile until you posted the comment about you being blind. I commend you greatly on your desire to restore your Tbird and get her back on the road again. Here is that link regarding how to get that trunk lock off, which includes the video on how to go about doing it. Good luck with this when you get to that.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...structions.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreeze View Post
I was able to locate my door/ignition key code so half of my problem is solved. Soon I'll be taking out the trunk cylinder & looking for a code on it. I was able to find a 92-key "Try-Out" key set for the Ford H26/H27 keys for sale online for $150. The manufacturer name is Aero and the part number is TO-118. I am seriously considering the purchase of this set to find my trunk key and make the set available for other classic Ford owners with missing keys to find & copy the keys they need. I am blind & my only income is from SSDI so $150 is somewhat of a big purchase which requires some thought. If I do order the set I will post to let everyone know how they work.
According to the description the set only fits door and ignition locks which are the same. The trunk and glove box locks are different. I know there are many more than 92 combinations of locks so I'm not sure if that set will help. I would hate to see you spend $150 and still not find the correct key.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 AM

mrfreeze is on a distinguished road

Yeah- $150 is a lot to pay especially if it is only for the door & ignition keys which I have the code for. I couldn't find much detail to the description for the try out set but what gave me some hope ws that it mentioned H26/H27. Also I think Carl mentioned to me in a private message that he had seen a part number for a try-out or "master" set with 81 keys, but he couldn't find it with an internet search. I thought that perhaps there were 81 door/ignition combinations used and it was possible that the 92-key set I found included 11 of the H26 trunk/glove box keys. It seemed feasible that they might use fewer combinations for teh trunk and glove box as there would be less of a security concern. Wishful thinking, perhaps. I may try to contact the manufacterer (Aero) of the try-out key set I found to inquire about what the set actually includes.

I did get my trunk open- it was actually pretty easy becuse years ago when I was working on the car I had actually taken the catch off and when I put it back I had only one bolt holding it in and that wasn't even tight. I have a new "reproduction" lock cylinder from Ebay ($16.30) but I haven't removed the lock/latch mechanism off of the trunk lid yet.

Unfortunately, I did learn that my door locks which worked smoothly when I got the car over a decade ago now will not allow a key to be fully inserted so they may need to be replaced. I tried spraying some penetrating oil in the door cylinder that I removed but so far it hasn't helped. I think I can get the door locks for about $12 each on Ebay but it is unlikely that I would get a matched set. There are options for matched sets but the prices go up significantly. This won't be an urgent issue until the car is painted which isn't going to happen any time soon. The main concerns were getting the trunk open & being able to use the ignition switch when the motor goes back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
According to the description the set only fits door and ignition locks which are the same. The trunk and glove box locks are different. I know there are many more than 92 combinations of locks so I'm not sure if that set will help. I would hate to see you spend $150 and still not find the correct key.

John
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreeze View Post
Unfortunately, I did learn that my door locks which worked smoothly when I got the car over a decade ago now will not allow a key to be fully inserted so they may need to be replaced. I tried spraying some penetrating oil in the door cylinder that I removed but so far it hasn't helped. I think I can get the door locks for about $12 each on Ebay but it is unlikely that I would get a matched set. There are options for matched sets but the prices go up significantly. This won't be an urgent issue until the car is painted which isn't going to happen any time soon. The main concerns were getting the trunk open & being able to use the ignition switch when the motor goes back in.
Try putting some penetrating oil in a cup and let the locks soak for a few days. I would be shocked if the tumblers didn't free up. That's the only thing that would keep the keys from being inserted.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 07-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

John good advice as we did that for my 60 locks and worked like a charm
58HT #33317